Senate Strips Life Saving Medical Insulin Cap From Inflation Act

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I already posted this in the "small ball" thread:

Insulin should be as expensive and difficult to obtain as asprin. o_O

Every single participant involved in insulin price-gouging is a criminal from the greedy drug companies to the toadies in Congress that accept bribes from them in the form of "lobbying" to the pharmacies that refuse to import cheaper versions from Canada and elsewhere.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Now that a combined package seems to be passing, congress should do a series of one-issue-at-a-time votes. Lets see who votes for/against lower insulin costs. Lets see who votes for/against carried interest. Etc. Just line up a series of votes and watch all these things the vast majority of public wants get voted down. I'd love to see the campaign attack ads after that.

I think Democrats get lost in their own message. They will go around beating their chests about passing a 700 page complex mess that they can't even defend the name of (it really doesn't reduce inflation in a general sense). When they could instead say they voted for low cost insulin for children. They could say they voted against tax loopholes. Democrats always lose the messaging battle when they do massive packages.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I already posted this in the "small ball" thread:

Insulin should be as expensive and difficult to obtain as asprin. o_O

Every single participant involved in insulin price-gouging is a criminal from the greedy drug companies to the toadies in Congress that accept bribes from them in the form of "lobbying" to the pharmacies that refuse to import cheaper versions from Canada and elsewhere.
Id wager insulin costs 10x what aspirin does to produce.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Id wager insulin costs 10x what aspirin does to produce.
Not the point but agreed.... asprin was just the first thing that came to mind and is not the best example.

Insulin doesn't begin to cost what they charge for it now though.

Reactions: Pohemi
Feb 4, 2009
Not the point but agreed.... asprin was just the first thing that came to mind and is not the best example.

Insulin doesn't begin to cost what they charge for it though.
Well per an ad from “Peoples Health Compact” (assumably a large pharma lobbying organization) if we allow Medicare to negotiate for better prices there will be less medicines.
Such a bullshit claim, doesn’t work like that in any other industry and more importantly if we cannot afford the medication there is no reason for it to exist. Next best alternative is the proper treatment.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If "big pharma" wants to cut costs, they can quit spending 4X as much on ads as they do on R&D. I don't need to fucking tell my doctor what drug is right for me.

Prescription drug advertising should be mostly eliminated... it does far more harm then good.

Having said that, I learn everything I can about any drug I take prior to taking it no matter who prescribed it and I suggest everyone else do the same.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah, Grassley is a real SOB big time. He's a multi millionaire off a senate salary???? HOW does THAT happen??? Grassley would have had to save every penny of his senate salary from day one in order to have half of what he is worth now. And we all know Grassley did not do that to become so rich as he is.

And the very same goes for Joni Ernst, that OTHER iOwa senator. Both on video supporting insulin caps THEN now voting against it.
I know why these republicans run for office and get elected, they do it to JOIN THE CLUB. They do it for the money and for the corruption of the money, and to get rich. That is the only reason they run. None of them will ever be Mr Smith Goes To Washington. They are more like Benedict Arnold.

Mitch McConnell is still pissed that poor people got that $1200. Donald Trump wants to force old people who collect social security back to work if they want to keep collecting those government social security checks. He said that at CPAC!!!!
It is soooo obvious what their plan is, the plan is to keep the worker ants as disposable, while the queen ants take all the wealth. Let them eat cake, as it were...

They got to go. These republican crooks and slimeballs all have to go. Every one of them. As long as they exist and remain in power and run the government it will only get much much worse for the American middle class. Hell.... WHAT middle class?

Pens1566

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2005
Prescription drug advertising should be mostly eliminated... it does far more harm then good.

Having said that, I learn everything I can about any drug I take prior to taking it no matter who prescribed it and I suggest everyone else do the same.
Agree with the bolded completely. And I say that as someone that used to benefit indirectly from drug company boondoggles via them spending on wining/dining the wife's former practice.

As for your second sentence ... eh, I'm not so sure about that one. Given what I've seen of the collective intelligence of our great nation over the last 2+ years (medically speaking), most of us aren't really qualified to be "doing our own research" and second guessing our PCPs. Just walk through a walmart and play the "which person here would understand drug interactions" and you'll get the idea.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Agree with the bolded completely. And I say that as someone that used to benefit indirectly from drug company boondoggles via them spending on wining/dining the wife's former practice.

As for your second sentence ... eh, I'm not so sure about that one. Given what I've seen of the collective intelligence of our great nation over the last 2+ years (medically speaking), most of us aren't really qualified to be "doing our own research" and second guessing our PCPs. Just walk through a walmart and play the "which person here would understand drug interactions" and you'll get the idea.

I was only referring to people here but even that COULD prove to be a problem for a few regular posters!

;)

There's no "negative" to doing ACTUAL research using established and credible sources with an open mind. What I like to do is read extensively using multiple sources and then make a list of questions for my doctor.

Learning as much as I can before-hand makes those questions much more relevant and the (brief) time spent with my MD more productive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Now that a combined package seems to be passing, congress should do a series of one-issue-at-a-time votes. Lets see who votes for/against lower insulin costs. Lets see who votes for/against carried interest. Etc. Just line up a series of votes and watch all these things the vast majority of public wants get voted down. I'd love to see the campaign attack ads after that.

I think Democrats get lost in their own message. They will go around beating their chests about passing a 700 page complex mess that they can't even defend the name of (it really doesn't reduce inflation in a general sense). When they could instead say they voted for low cost insulin for children. They could say they voted against tax loopholes. Democrats always lose the messaging battle when they do massive packages.
The problem is without eliminating the filibuster you have to do only massive packages. Which, of course, is why we should eliminate the filibuster.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
The problem is without eliminating the filibuster you have to do only massive packages. Which, of course, is why we should eliminate the filibuster.
I realize that. This is not about getting things done now. This is about getting many 10 second soundbites that the public likes, to get people elected, to get things done in the future.

Who knows, maybe after losing the messaging battle, some Republicans might support a couple of them and actually get things done now. I'm just not that hopeful.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Instead of a penny per dose it's probably a dime.
Yes. People do not realize that in most cases nearly the entire cost of drugs is development. Once it’s developed and approved the cost is essentially zero.

Getting that approval is really hard though and tends to create captive markets. That’s what they exploit.

• Love
Reactions: Lezunto

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I realize that. This is not about getting things done now. This is about getting many 10 second soundbites that the public likes, to get people elected, to get things done in the future.

Who knows, maybe after losing the messaging battle, some Republicans might support a couple of them and actually get things done now. I'm just not that hopeful.
We really did get a lot done now though!

ASK THE COMMUNITY