Senate Select Intelligence Community Produces Blistering Report on Iraq Intelligence

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
from MSNBC.COM

It is all very clear now. It is all the CIA's fault. We need to put intelligence under a special agency headed by Wolfowitz to correct this problem immediately.

fwtong

Feb 26, 2002
Obviously, since those Senators are doubting the truth of Bush's words, they are obviously un-American and helping the enemy. Such conduct is tantamount to treason. ;)

I'm just waiting for the day when Bush declares martial law due for national security reasons. ;)

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: fwtong
Obviously, since those Senators are doubting the truth of Bush's words, they are obviously un-American and helping the enemy. Such conduct is tantamount to treason. ;)

I'm just waiting for the day when Bush declares martial law due for national security reasons. ;)

*cocks shotgun* So am I.

Errr...

Nevermind. \me goes back to campus apt.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Well, Rockefeller isn't going to let the majority use Tenet as a whipping boy for the venality of the White House. What with Dick Cheney marching over to the CIA and trying to talk the analysts into agreeing that Iraq had nuclear capability, I'd say the blame should fall squarely on 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, not out at the CIA. And when some of those analysts start talking publicly, this attempt by the SSIC to deflect criticism from Bush will look like the white wash it is. Remember, the right wing of the Elephant Noses hates Tenet because he won't fall in line with the neo-cons. Tsk, tsk.

By the way, it's Committee, not Community. :),

-Robert

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003
I would imagine this will further inflame the current battle between the White House and the CIA over the CIA leak from those as yet unnamed senior administration officials. It isn't a good idea to make an enemy of the CIA.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee said on Friday the Republican chairman was trying to lay all the blame for flaws in pre-war intelligence about Iraq solely on the doorstep of U.S. spy agencies without looking at any White House role.

[...]

"It is my belief ... that what he wants to do is to put all of this, lay all of this off on the intelligence community and never get to any other branches of government, in particular the White House and associated high and visible government agencies," Rockefeller told reporters.

Hmmm. I thought it was a pretty common fact that the White House had a role. If conflicting conclusions are being given, and you pick and choose which conclusions you deem factual (or valid), doesn't that put at least some of the blame on you?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
gaard,
that would put all the blame on you since the reports dont seem to have a conclusion only options and possibility and you as the whitehouse decide what the conclusion is

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003
If I remember correctly the White House was told not to use some intelligence but used it anyway. How would that be the fault of the CIA?

nowareman

Banned
Jun 4, 2003
NY Times article. The CIA isn't going to be whitewashed by partisans in congress looking to scapegoat them.

C.I.A. Disputes Accusations That Its Prewar Conclusions on Iraq Arms Were Flawed
By DOUGLAS JEHL

Published: October 25, 2003

WASHINGTON, Oct. 24 ? The Central Intelligence Agency responded angrily on Friday to new Congressional criticism of its handling of prewar intelligence about Iraq's suspected illicit weapons program. At a briefing at C.I.A. headquarters, four senior intelligence officials said that a top-secret internal review now underway had found no evidence of faulty work.

"What it has shown us is that the judgments were not only sound, they were very sound, and backed up by more than one source," a senior intelligence official said of the review, which is being conducted under orders from George J. Tenet, the director of central intelligence.

The briefing was organized in response to a report in The Washington Post that said the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence was preparing to issue a report saying that intelligence agencies made serious errors of judgment in their prewar conclusion that Iraq possessed chemical and biological weapons and was reconstituting its nuclear program.

In an angry public statement, the C.I.A. spokesman, Bill Harlow, said that any such finding would be premature. Mr. Harlow said that top intelligence officials had not yet been given an opportunity to share their own findings with members of the intelligence committee.

"The committee has yet to take the opportunity to hear a comprehensive explanation of how and why we reached our conclusions," the statement said. Congressional officials said that the detailed review by the Senate committee had indeed turned up indications of serious errors. But Senator Pat Roberts, the Kansas Republican who is the panel's chairman, issued a statement saying that the committee was nowhere near to completing its review and that it would hear from Mr. Tenet and others before reaching any findings.

The senior intelligence officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, as they outlined findings from a 405-page review being conducted by the National Intelligence Council, said David Kay, the American heading the search for illicit weapons in Iraq, would ultimately determine if the C.I.A. had been right.

"We don't think what we did was deficient, we don't think it was sloppy, and we're waiting to see what David finds to see whether we got it right," a senior official said. In an interim report this month, Mr. Kay said his team had not yet found any chemical, biological or nuclear weapons in Iraq. The search is to be completed sometime next year.

Over the course of two hours, the senior intelligence officials sought to rebut comments by Senator Roberts and others claiming that the intelligence agencies' conclusions in an October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate had been based on incomplete and circumstantial evidence.

"When you get all done parsing this, what you find is a compelling case that no reasonable person could have concluded anything other than what we have" about Iraq's weapons program, based on the information available at the time, a second senior intelligence officials said.

The Senate Intelligence Committee's review is the most extensive effort by Congress now underway to reconcile the failure to find illicit weapons in Iraq with unambiguous claims by the administration and intelligence agencies that Iraq had at least chemical and biological weapons in its arsenal before the American invasion in March. The review is expected to form the basis of a public report that Republicans who control the committee hope to issue later this year.

But Congressional officials said the timing and nature of the conclusions may be affected by opposition from Democrats. The Democrats say the committee still has not been able to review evidence that might shed light on the possible misuse of intelligence by Bush administration officials, as opposed to errors made by intelligence analysts.

The Democrats fear that Senator Roberts and other Republicans on the panel want to blame the C.I.A. for producing faulty intelligence on Iraq to shield President Bush and his top advisers from charges that they exaggerated the Iraqi threat.

The nature of the committee's findings was first reported in Friday's editions of The Washington Post, which attributed to Senator Roberts a statement that the review was "95 percent complete."

But by late afternoon, after the C.I.A. and the ranking Democrat on the committee, Senator John D. Rockefeller IV of West Virginia, issued statements on Friday questioning how the panel could have reached such a conclusion, Senator Roberts said that his statements had been mischaracterized.

"The committee has not finished its review of the intelligence and has not reached any final conclusions or finished a report," Senator Roberts said. He said he had agreed that Mr. Tenet "should have an opportunity" to speak to the committee "before the report is finalized."

Still, a congressional official who was authorized to speak about the highly classified review said on Friday that "some initial concerns and issues" that have emerged from the committee review "may not be positive for the intelligence community."

Senator Roberts has said that he is deeply troubled by signs that intelligence agencies made mistakes in their prewar findings, most notably in an October 2002 intelligence estimate produced over a period of less than three weeks at the request of the Senate intelligence committee.

Congressional officials reflecting the view of the committee's Republicans have said that its review had concluded that many of the findings reached by the C.I.A. and other agencies in that document were unfounded and based on circumstantial and contradictory evidence. But Senator Rockefeller told reporters on Capitol Hill on Friday that the review was "far from complete" and that a committee report "cannot possibly be finished before the end of the year."

In a hint of the partisan discord on the committee, Senator Rockefeller said he believed that Senator Roberts "wants to put this to bed as soon as possible," while he himself believed that the review should be completed "honorably and fairly."

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: nowareman
NY Times article. The CIA isn't going to be whitewashed by partisans in congress looking to scapegoat them.

You mean the CIA isn't going to get blamed by the people who overwhelmingly voted for the war...nah - say it isn' so, Joe...they are innocent;) It's all Bush's fault - remember?

CkG

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: nowareman

You mean the CIA isn't going to get blamed by the people who overwhelmingly voted for the war...nah - say it isn' so, Joe...they are innocent;) It's all Bush's fault - remember?

CkG

Well, there is the CIA, and there is the CIA.

There are those who went about their jobs and reported what they came up. Then there were those who provided "customized" intel (Tenet for example).

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
"We don't think what we did was deficient, we don't think it was sloppy, and we're waiting to see what David finds to see whether we got it right," a senior official said. In an interim report this month, Mr. Kay said his team had not yet found any chemical, biological or nuclear weapons in Iraq. The search is to be completed sometime next year.

President Bush (a few months ago) - "We have found the weapons of mass destruction."

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
But Congressional officials said the timing and nature of the conclusions may be affected by opposition from Democrats. The Democrats say the committee still has not been able to review evidence that might shed light on the possible misuse of intelligence by Bush administration officials, as opposed to errors made by intelligence analysts.

That's the real question, isn't it? That's what a good number of discussions in ATPN have been about.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Gaard, how dare you imply the President has said anything untruthful. And if you find any statement by the President to be factually suspect . . . clearly the blame lies with the CIA, FBI, MI 5/6, Mossad, Saddam, Chirac, and anyone else Karl Rove has on his hit list.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I'm reminded of that episode of Happy Days where Fonzie is physically incapable of saying "I was wrong." The most he can accomplish is "I was wrrr..." :)

I know it goes against all things political, but a simple "Oops, got that one wrong", IMO, would do wonders for anyone's PR.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Bush cannot be wrong . . . he has talent on loan from God . . . oops wrong hypocrite.

Maybe it's just a coincidence that the GOP's most dissonant mouthpieces have drug histories and delusional beliefs.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I'm wondering if by admitting to being wrong to even something minor (not saying that claiming to have found WMD is minor), it would detract from a desired appearance of infallibility. Maybe if it's recognized that our president isn't infallible, some of the...shall we say easily guided folk would begin to doubt some of the other decisions/statements?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I remember there was this department that was created after 9/11 whose director was appointed by Bush, but the name escapes me right now. ;)