Senate Republicans screw diabled vets

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Republican love sending our men & women to war, but shy at caring for our wounded. That's been the case for a LONG time. Cuts to the Veteran's Administration are something the Republicans seem to always do in times of budget cuts.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
this stimulus package is a joke of bread and circus type crap.

smart choice of McCain to let this shittastic bill sink without having to have a vote against vets on his record... this is the type of junk parties propose just to make the other side look bad.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The Senate dems are stupid. The House bill was negotiated. Both sides made concessions to expedite the process. The rate it is now, the stimulus package is not likely to see the light of day if the Senate Dems dont stop with their grandstanding.

They should be working on resolving the Farm Bill anyways.

They have 38 days to get the Farm Bill negotiated in conference(the dems arent allowing an open conference, its just the Dem leadership in chamber negotiating). Then they got to get it past a Bush veto.

38 days, the Farm Bill reverts to the 1949 Farm Bill. Wiping out all nutrition programs(school breakfast/lunch for the poor), foodstamps, farm subsidies, etc.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: ironwing
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200...sa_economy_stimulus_dc

Why do Republican Senators hate disabled vets?

Lord, starting threads like this is fun! I'm developing empathy for Pabster and ProfJohn. :p

I like the American way of keeping stuff separate but to be entirly honest i am glad that shit like this is set in stone where i come from, you enter your service knowing fully what to expect from day one until you are dead.

This is kinda sickening, any country that does not take care of their injured soldiers properly is not a country worthy of the men fighting for it.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

Lord, starting threads like this is fun! I'm developing empathy for Pabster and ProfJohn. :p
Nah you are closer to Techs with your title being outlandish and ignoring the main point of the article.

There is one sentence about vets in the whole article, but you act like that is the entire point of it... sad.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Nah you are closer to Techs with your title being outlandish and ignoring the main point of the article.

There is one sentence about vets in the whole article, but you act like that is the entire point of it... sad.

Yes, your Berkeley hates the troops thread was definitely more intelligent and even handed :roll:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Strange how much trouble they have passing a "package" for Americans, but can vote themselves a pay raise in a new york minute.
Hillary, mcCain, Obama. Still will be the same-o same-o.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Yes, your Berkeley hates the troops thread was definitely more intelligent and even handed :roll:
At least my thread title was honest, unlike this one.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
edit: nm, I was.

but seriously... I'd have second thoughts about agreeing with any bill that Ted Stevens supports.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Stuff like this makes me grateful I only have a 10% disability and dont need the benefits.
Wish I could say the same for thousands of my buddies coming home.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
This bill proves that neither side gives a rats ass about the fiscal health of this country. Every dime of this package is deficit financed, and both parties, especially democrats, are falling over themselves trying to add more useless shit to it. This package will essentially double the account deficit for 2008, and nobody seems to care, even though it wont do shit for the economy, as has been proven time and time again in the past.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Pretty soon the 146 billion economy stimulus package is going to be a 1 trillion economy stimulus package. All they had to do was vote yes and pass it. I guess they dont care about the economy or the people.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
This bill proves that neither side gives a rats ass about the fiscal health of this country. Every dime of this package is deficit financed, and both parties, especially democrats, are falling over themselves trying to add more useless shit to it. This package will essentially double the account deficit for 2008, and nobody seems to care, even though it wont do shit for the economy, as has been proven time and time again in the past.

Well, duh. It's vote buying and campaigning, plain and simple.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: piasabird
Pretty soon the 146 billion economy stimulus package is going to be a 1 trillion economy stimulus package. All they had to do was vote yes and pass it. I guess they dont care about the economy or the people.

this bill would do almost nothing for the economy in its current incarnation, thanks to the insistence of tax rebates versus the alternatives.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: sportage
Strange how much trouble they have passing a "package" for Americans, but can vote themselves a pay raise in a new york minute.
Hillary, mcCain, Obama. Still will be the same-o same-o.

The Senates version doubles the cap on income to 150k for singles and 300k for couples, and gives huge tax breaks to Coal companies.

Pelosi and Reid have had a percarious relationship before this. Now they are at eachothers throats.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Senates version just passed 81-16.

Covers the eldery and disabled vets, all other proposals extending unemployment, heating aid to the poor, and tax breaks for energy companies got dropped. As did upping the cap to 150,000/300,000. The cap remains at 75,000/150,000.

Anyone who has income of $3000 or more, counting SS, SSI, and Veterans Disability, will get $300.

The republicans voted no yesterday because of the other proposals, not because it helped vets and the eldery. And besides, the House version already gave them $300, the language just wasnt explicit like the Senate version. The house version said anyone with $3000 in income got $300. The Senate version merely clarifies it, but it was the House's intention for SS, SSI, and Veterans disability to count towards that $3000.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If you want to do anything other than ?stimulate the economy?, put it in another freaking bill. How hard is that? Stop bloating and destroying pieces of legislation by including pieces that have nothing to do with the bill?s title and purpose.

No wonder Congress?s approval rating was (is?) 11%. Our government is pathetic and you people want to see more of it? An expansion of this disaster? Talk about reaping the seeds you sow.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Pelosi and Reid have had a percarious relationship before this. Now they are at eachothers throats.

Yeah, but something strange is going on.

Pelosi and Reid have had a rather chilly relationship after their failures to stop the War.

But now Reid is complicit in scheduling votes to allow McCain to be absent so he doesn't have to take a hit on his record.

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem

The republicans voted no yesterday because of the other proposals, not because it helped vets and the eldery.

Too late. The Senate Republicans are now known vet haters. Sorry, but this is how modern politics works.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
They should have extended unemployment for 13 more weeks.
Then maybe a few could survive long enough to find that great job this great economy is creating (choke choke).

I have a stim package I think would work...

Give the rebates.
Lower gas to 1.50 a gal nation wide, period.
Freeze that 1.50 for 12 months nation wide.

That would help everyone from industry to us folks.
All it would take is a phone call from GW to exxon and Mobil.

If we can sacrifice men and women to a war, exxon and mobil can
show their patriotism by lowering and freezing gas prices.