Senate Republicans Block Boost in Minimum Wage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: fallensight
It really is amazing the total lack of understanding the GoP has on how thinsg really work. Give all the money to the corps and the wealthy, the either put it back into the stock market(which means they just give it back to other rich people) or it sits in a bank, or at best they buy a new car. Corps dont invest the cuts in anything other than CEO and exec's paychecks. Put the money in the hands of the average people, they turn around and put it into the local economy, which spurs job growth.

I dont buy the 'hurts the small guy' arguement either. I have never met someone who works for a small business and makes min wage. You pay min wage, you get a min wage quality of work, and most ive known want a higher quality of work than the compitition.

While in a perfect world devoid of greed a min wage law would not be needed, we live in a world that is, by and large, controlled ONLY by greed. Without a min wage law, you would have companies offer 'commpetitive wages' but they would be going down, not up. Its the same effect Wal-mart has on the wages of competitors when it enters a new market. What ends up happening is when one company sees the bare min someone will work for, all the rest of them drop the wages to that level.

Just because you haven't seen a small business paying minimum wage doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I come from a smal rural town (pop. 2500) and quite a few people there make minimum wage. Most of the small busiensses there don't operate with a high amount of profit and when you raise the minimum wage, you further decrease their already small profits. That's the perfect market for Wal-Mart to operate in. Wal-Mart can afford to pay for an increase in minimum wage. Raising the minimum wage in these areas means more smaller businesses will fail and Wal-Mart is happy to pick up the slack where those businesses fail.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
It really is amazing the total lack of understanding the GoP has on how thinsg really work. Give all the money to the corps and the wealthy, the either put it back into the stock market(which means they just give it back to other rich people) or it sits in a bank, or at best they buy a new car. Corps dont invest the cuts in anything other than CEO and exec's paychecks. Put the money in the hands of the average people, they turn around and put it into the local economy, which spurs job growth.

I dont buy the 'hurts the small guy' arguement either. I have never met someone who works for a small business and makes min wage. You pay min wage, you get a min wage quality of work, and most ive known want a higher quality of work than the compitition.

While in a perfect world devoid of greed a min wage law would not be needed, we live in a world that is, by and large, controlled ONLY by greed. Without a min wage law, you would have companies offer 'commpetitive wages' but they would be going down, not up. Its the same effect Wal-mart has on the wages of competitors when it enters a new market. What ends up happening is when one company sees the bare min someone will work for, all the rest of them drop the wages to that level.

Just because you haven't seen a small business paying minimum wage doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I come from a smal rural town (pop. 2500) and quite a few people there make minimum wage. Most of the small busiensses there don't operate with a high amount of profit and when you raise the minimum wage, you further decrease their already small profits. That's the perfect market for Wal-Mart to operate in. Wal-Mart can afford to pay for an increase in minimum wage. Raising the minimum wage in these areas means more smaller businesses will fail and Wal-Mart is happy to pick up the slack where those businesses fail.

What a bunch of baloney. Raising minimum wage in those areas means people making minimum wage will have more money to spend, so all businesses will benefit. Person living off minimum wage has no disposable income after paying rent and bills, so no wonder he shops at Walmart. You make 5.15/hr, after rent and bills, you don't exactly have money to eat out or order food or patronize local establishments, you are going to get your food in bulk at Walmart and cook for yourself. Just look at that map, the areas with low or no minimum wage laws are Walmart country.

fallensight

Apr 12, 2006
Please, wal-mart is the biggest opponent of a min wage increase there is. The Waldens dont have enough money you know.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Please, wal-mart is the biggest opponent of a min wage increase there is. The Waldens dont have enough money you know.

Actually a few months ago they called for a federal minimum wage increase. Wal-Mart tends to pay above minimum wage so an increase in the minimum wage generally doesn't affect them.

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Originally posted by: senseamp
What they should do is pass a law locking lawmaker salaries into a fixed multiple of the minimum wage.

To bad that'll never happen. If that law did happen. I'm sure congress will find a way to tack on a bill that'll allow them to increase there pay.