Senate proposal incentives

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
If most of you are like me, we have heard enough about the election, who's going to be the one to save America from doom. I have also had enough of the Bailout situation. Just when it seems that it couldn't get any worse, they put it up to the House to come up with a solution. Low and behold they did and the bill was passed.

I wonder why this hasn't been all over the news. The house increased the amount adding an additional 106 BILLION!!!

So let me get this straight, it first went to the house at $700 and they voted aginst it, basically saying it was to much. Second go around they added an additional $106 billion to the cost and the bill passed. How in the hell does this happen and who the hell would support such a stunt.

Please if I am incorrect someone slap me and feel free to explain what's going on..

link

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Grunt03
So let me get this straight, it first went to the house at $700 and they voted aginst it, basically saying it was to much. Second go around they added an additional $106 billion to the cost and the bill passed. How in the hell does this happen and who the hell would support such a stunt.

This is Congress we're talking about. Vote anti-incumbent!

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
If the house goes for it this time, lost cause for us all.
Where's Ross Perot when you need him?

Just wait till March 09 when this happens all over again.

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
So now we are stuck with $806 Billion, shit ......... This is sad..........

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Grunt03
So now we are stuck with $806 Billion, shit ......... This is sad..........

Dude, it hasn't been voted on by the House yet..

Are you an American? Have you taken Civics yet?

1) $700B bill put up for vote in House of Representatives
2) It was defeated. If it had passed, it would have gone to the Senate for vote (and would have passed there, more than likely)
3) House goes on Holiday
4) Senate goes to work on modifying the Bill; writing in tax-breaks and support for disaster-aid - and then attaching it to an existing Mental-illness Health Care measure
5) The Senate passes this
6) The Bill will be sent to House to be voted on (Friday?)

7) Fucking call/write your Representatives and threaten their balls if they change their vote and pass this new Bill..

More Info..

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
this is another thing i hate about politics. all the addons. just vote on the damn bill. don't add a bunch of shit added on.

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
All they did was add a bunch of 'pork' spending onto the bill to try and sway the vote numbers for the bill.

This is still the same sh$tty bill just now served with a slice of crap on top.

The've added stuff for

mental health and addiction treatment medical benefits
hurricane victims tax relief
funds for rural schools
extended state and local sales tax reductions
renewable fuels tax breaks

Non of this has anything to do with the current crisis

Just added to sway a few key votes so this 'dog' will pass it will just have a few more flees

write you house rep and tell them to shoot this down

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
this is another thing i hate about politics. all the addons. just vote on the damn bill. don't add a bunch of shit added on.

The house tried that already, I doubt this will pass either.

Congress is busy playing its fiddle while the ship goes down.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: fisheerman
All they did was add a bunch of 'pork' spending onto the bill to try and sway the vote numbers for the bill.

The've added stuff for

funds for rural schools

Just added to sway a few key votes so this 'dog' will pass it will just have a few more flees

But what type of bill would it be without wool, rum, and wooden arrow manufacture subsidizes.

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
Originally posted by: fisheerman
The've added stuff for
funds for rural schools

I understand why they added additional items and the increase. I just find it very funny that when the bill was only $700 Billion everyone was aginst it, way to much money. Now we have added different items, increased the total to $806 billion, for what? Just to secure additional votes. Dam it makes me so angry......

cockeyed

Dec 8, 2000
John McCain gave a speech saying it is unacceptable if "pork" would be added to the original bill. Then, after the pork was added, he says he will vote for it anyway. Sounds familiar doesn't it: "I was against it before I was for it."

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: cockeyed
John McCain gave a speech saying it is unacceptable if "pork" would be added to the original bill. Then, after the pork was added, he says he will vote for it anyway. Sounds familiar doesn't it: "I was against it before I was for it."

What did Obama say?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Budmantom
What did Obama say?
Being a champion against pork barrel spending wasn't Obama's campaign cornerstone. It was McCain's.

Yet another McCain flip flop.

CNN is playing a clip of McCain's "earmark" quote over and over :laugh:

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
What did Obama say?
Being a champion against pork barrel spending wasn't Obama's campaign cornerstone. It was McCain's.

I agree McCain flip flopped, but where does Obama stand?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
What did Obama say?

I agree McCain flip flopped, but where does Obama stand?

It doesnt matter what Obama said, only JM. :roll:

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
This bill is sad. I'm not against an "economic bailout", but if the heads at Frannie don't roll i'm going to be mad.