Senate passes Bush detainee bill - American democracy flat-lined

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Senate_passes_Bush_detainee_bill_0928.html
The US Senate has passed the Detainee Treatment and Trials bill (S. 3930) by a vote of 65-34, RAW STORY has learned.

This follows the US House of Representatives passage of a similar resolution (HR 6166) yesterday, essentially scoring a significant pre-election victory for the Bush administration. Critics have denounced the bill as a suspension of the right of habeas corpus, which entitles detainees to seek release from unlawful imprisonment.

Twelve Democrats voted in favor of the Senate bill: Tom Carper (DE), Tim Johnson (SD), Mary Landrieu (LA), Frank Lautenberg (NJ), Joe Lieberman (CT), Bob Menendez (NJ), Bill Nelson (FL), Ben Nelson (NE), Mark Pryor (AR), Jay Rockefeller (WV), Ken Salazar (CO), and Debbie Stabenow (MI)

One Republican, Lincoln Chafee (RI), and the lone independent, Jim Jeffords (VT), voted against the bill. Olympia Snowe (R-ME) did not cast a vote.

The official tally is as follows.

Akaka (D-HI), Nay
Alexander (R-TN), Yea
Allard (R-CO), Yea
Allen (R-VA), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Nay
Bayh (D-IN), Nay
Bennett (R-UT), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Nay
Bingaman (D-NM), Nay
Bond (R-MO), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Nay
Brownback (R-KS), Yea
Bunning (R-KY), Yea
Burns (R-MT), Yea
Burr (R-NC), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Nay
Cantwell (D-WA), Nay
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Chafee (R-RI), Nay
Chambliss (R-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Nay
Coburn (R-OK), Yea
Cochran (R-MS), Yea
Coleman (R-MN), Yea
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Nay
Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
Craig (R-ID), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Yea
Dayton (D-MN), Nay
DeMint (R-SC), Yea
DeWine (R-OH), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Nay
Dole (R-NC), Yea
Domenici (R-NM), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Nay
Durbin (D-IL), Nay
Ensign (R-NV), Yea
Enzi (R-WY), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Nay
Frist (R-TN), Yea
Graham (R-SC), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Gregg (R-NH), Yea
Hagel (R-NE), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Nay
Hatch (R-UT), Yea
Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Nay
Isakson (R-GA), Yea
Jeffords (I-VT), Nay
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Kennedy (D-MA), Nay
Kerry (D-MA), Nay
Kohl (D-WI), Nay
Kyl (R-AZ), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Nay
Levin (D-MI), Nay
Lieberman (D-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Nay
Lott (R-MS), Yea
Lugar (R-IN), Yea
Martinez (R-FL), Yea
McCain (R-AZ), Yea
McConnell (R-KY), Yea
Menendez (D-NJ), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Nay
Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Nay
Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Obama (D-IL), Nay
Pryor (D-AR), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Nay
Reid (D-NV), Nay
Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Salazar (D-CO), Yea
Santorum (R-PA), Yea
Sarbanes (D-MD), Nay
Schumer (D-NY), Nay
Sessions (R-AL), Yea
Shelby (R-AL), Yea
Smith (R-OR), Yea
Snowe (R-ME), Not Voting
Specter (R-PA), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
Stevens (R-AK), Yea
Sununu (R-NH), Yea
Talent (R-MO), Yea
Thomas (R-WY), Yea
Thune (R-SD), Yea
Vitter (R-LA), Yea
Voinovich (R-OH), Yea
Warner (R-VA), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Nay

"So this is how democracy dies, to thunderous applause"

Habeus Corpus? Dead.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: senseamp
I wonder how soon we have draft now that Habeas Corpus has been suspended.

Ah, the fearmongering continues. Must be an election coming up.

Didn't Kerry try to scare us all about a draft 2 years ago?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Pabster

You bushvoters scared the rest of the world far more than an intelligent man like Kerry

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
:thumbsup:

Don't worry, it's just our fundamental civil liberties.

I don't know why we bother fighting a war for freedom and civilization with the terrorists...as bad as those assholes are, the only people destroying those things in this country seem to be members of our own government.

Every single Senator and Congressmen who voted for this bill or the house version, and every single one of their supporters, is an unqualified traitor to the ideals that have made this country great. If our critics are right, and this century does see the United States fall from our position as leader of the free world, it's not going to be caused by any outside force, whether Islamic terrorists or some other group, it's going to be caused by cowards like you, who seem to have forgotten just what makes this country worth fighting for in the first place.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan
You bushvoters scared the rest of the world far more than an intelligent man like Kerry

Right. :confused:

The fact is that Kerry told us all about some 'secret plan' Bush had in store for right after the 2004 election to start up the draft. Well, nearly 2 years later, WTH is it?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

A Bush supported accusing someone of fear mongering, right after he gives the "thumbs up" to a bill supported by the ranks of the terrified, and without a trace of irony. That's some mighty powerful self delusion you have going there...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The terrorists have won. The spirit of America is dead. Our time as a great people is over. We could not pass our virtues on to our kids and scum is rising to the top.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
You know what's REALLY interesting about this? Republicans, for all their noise lately about how they aren't just a bunch of tools for the Bush administration, behaved EXACTLY like a bunch of tools of the Bush administration. Out of all the Republicans in the Senate, only ONE had the stones to go against the Bush administration.

I'll be honest here, I was going into this election not trying to get caught up in the party crap...if I saw a Republican I liked, I was going to vote for them. Not now...I refuse to EVER vote for a single Republican again. It doesn't matter what their individual views are, the fact that they view themselves as a rubber stamp for the President is scary enough for me to want them to never hold a public office above dog catcher again.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
By the way, I think my quote from Chief Justice Warren is particularly appropriate now...I REALLY hope our current Supreme Court is up to the task of striking down this unconstitutional bullshit.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The terrorists have won. The spirit of America is dead. Our time as a great people is over. We could not pass our virtues on to our kids and scum is rising to the top.

That moonshine must be awful strong tonight.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
I'll be honest here, I was going into this election not trying to get caught up in the party crap...if I saw a Republican I liked, I was going to vote for them. Not now...I refuse to EVER vote for a single Republican again. It doesn't matter what their individual views are, the fact that they view themselves as a rubber stamp for the President is scary enough for me to want them to never hold a public office above dog catcher again.

Chee, I'm shocked! You're nothing but a tool. Any reasonable, informed voter does exactly what you claim you "were" going to do. You familiarize yourself with the issues and the candidates and make an informed decision. Whether that person has a (D), (I), or (R) behind their name should have nothing to do with it.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Chee, I'm shocked! You're nothing but a tool. Any reasonable, informed voter does exactly what you claim you "were" going to do. You familiarize yourself with the issues and the candidates and make an informed decision. Whether that person has a (D), (I), or (R) behind their name should have nothing to do with it.

It shouldn't, but it does. The views of individual Republicans are worthless, they all seem to march to the beat of the same drum. Like you said, any reasonable, informed voter takes a look at the issues and makes an informed decision irrespective of party. But I don't HAVE to look at the views of individual Republicans to figure out their position, I just have to look at the views of George W. Bush. I'm still doing the same thing I was going to do before, really, this just saves me a lot of work...if I've seen one Republican's position on the issues, I've seen them all...at least at the national level.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
It shouldn't, but it does. The views of individual Republicans are worthless, they all seem to march to the beat of the same drum. Like you said, any reasonable, informed voter takes a look at the issues and makes an informed decision irrespective of party. But I don't HAVE to look at the views of individual Republicans to figure out their position, I just have to look at the views of George W. Bush. I'm still doing the same thing I was going to do before, really, this just saves me a lot of work...if I've seen one Republican's position on the issues, I've seen them all...at least at the national level.

You've fallen victim to DNC propaganda.

All the attack ads I've seen around here specifically mention "Just another vote for Bush" or something to that effect.

The fact is, many Republicans do not "vote with Bush" most of the time. Certainly not all. If that were the case, he would have been able to get a lot more accomplished thus far.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

You've fallen victim to DNC propaganda.

All the attack ads I've seen around here specifically mention "Just another vote for Bush" or something to that effect.

The fact is, many Republicans do not "vote with Bush" most of the time. Certainly not all. If that were the case, he would have been able to get a lot more accomplished thus far.

Actually, I wasn't aware that the Dems were really using that tactic...see, I have a MythTV box, I don't see a lot of commercials ;) I like to try and form my own opinions.

But you're right, that was a rather hasty generalization on my part...the issues are still more important, I'll just be adding to the list the issue of whether or not they actually seem to think for themselves.

straightalker

Dec 21, 2005
Topic Title: Senate passes Bush detainee bill - American democracy flat-lined

Topic Summary: Magna Carta spontaneously combusts
We live in a Constitutional Republic not a Democracy. Huge difference.

Just a helpful correction and not a stab in the back.

----------------------------------------------------------------

In reply now to this thread. What's apparently also spontaneously combusted is the duty of every American to defend the USA Constitution and our true way of life. We're letting some of the scum of the Earth right now write and pass and shove down our Country's throat legislation that would have made Hitler and Stalin blush beet red in envy. Those two creeps had to at least try to hide the fact people were dissapeared without any trace.

The bedrock of justice within human civilization rests among a few other primary tenets upon the supreme decree that no dissappearing of people is to be tolerated!

NEVER! Never means never.

There's only ever one reason to disappear people. It's to hide the reason they are disappeared. In every case in human history when a Government got in it's sick head the idea they were going to just dissappear people it always escalated into mass murder. That is because only extremely evil people want to destroy the rule of law and the right's of everyone to a fair trial.