Senate Joint Resolution 10. aka balanced budget amendment

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you support THIS amendment

• Yes, as written 18% GDP limit

• Yes, but with 20% GDP limit

• I support a balanced amendment, but not this one

• no. we don't need a balanced budget amendment

Results are only viewable after voting.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I may start a poll that asks does the GOP really want a balanced budget amendment or are they more interested in throwing a monkey wrench into the administration.

I'd say neither, and that they don't seriously want this. They just want something to run on other than, "We stopped Obama," so they propose this abortion and'll blame Democrats when it fails. They'll also use the failure to blame Democrats for any instance of government overspending when Democrats are in power. (With those arguments against overspending amazingly evaporating when the Republicans are in power...)

It seems to me that a Republican politician's #1 job nowadays is to create talking points for Fox News commentators. If those lips aren't flapping, they've got nothing.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
That doesn't solve the problem whatsoever, that just helps make us aware of what we're spending. They'll find some way to dress it up and make it look like nothing and wars will continue.

It does two things:

1.) No more hiding from people what the military actions are actually costing.

2.) People feel the immediate pain of such actions, they get immediate "sweat equity" of the action, and as such, we keep a balanced budget (or something a lot closer to it).

Chuck

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It does two things:

1.) No more hiding from people what the military actions are actually costing.

2.) People feel the immediate pain of such actions, they get immediate "sweat equity" of the action, and as such, we keep a balanced budget (or something a lot closer to it).

Chuck

I completely understand that hence my reply. I think it is a good thing, but like I said they will just find a way to hide it in plain sight on the page.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
My preference would be:

Deductions:

-Current Military Conflicts: $87.34 (This paycheck) / $1544.84 (YTD)

Something no one could confuse.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
My preference would be:

Deductions:

Man if where your money went was itemized on your paycheck, people would flip the fuck out.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
You guys may hate Prop 13 but it was put in place due to the legislature raising property taxes so much they were taxing people out of their homes. You had people who lived in a home for 40 years and had to sell it because the property values skyrocketed around them. If the legislature had not been so greedy then prop 13 would never have passed. Theres a reason why it was called a taxpayer revolt.

This state has been in a fiscal mess for 20+ years and aside for a 2 year period from 94-96 for the assembly, the legislature has been dominated by the Democratic party. Blaming the Republican's for not going along with the Democrats pillaging of the state is similar to blaming a rape victim for not enjoying it.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
Man if where your money went was itemized on your paycheck, people would flip the fuck out.

Hell, I'd be happy with NO tax cuts, just ending all payroll withholding. You do that and every taxpayer will know exactly how much in taxes they paid.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You guys may hate Prop 13 but it was put in place due to the legislature raising property taxes so much they were taxing people out of their homes. You had people who lived in a home for 40 years and had to sell it because the property values skyrocketed around them. If the legislature had not been so greedy then prop 13 would never have passed. Theres a reason why it was called a taxpayer revolt.

This state has been in a fiscal mess for 20+ years and aside for a 2 year period from 94-96 for the assembly, the legislature has been dominated by the Democratic party. Blaming the Republican's for not going along with the Democrats pillaging of the state is similar to blaming a rape victim for not enjoying it.

Legislature doesn't collect property taxes, local governments do. It seems like having this very basic knowledge should be a prerequisite for opining on prop 13, but apparently not for you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
pssst.... property taxes are local only in California. NONE of that money goes to the state.

The only way it effects the state is that less property tax at the local level means less money to spend on schools at the local level and hence more spending needed at state level.

Right.

Property taxes are local in almost every state. The dearth of property taxes in California means a disproportionate percentage of funds for education come from the statewide government... one that is dependent upon sales/capital gains taxes.

I'm not sure why this is hard for you to grasp, or why you think this undermines my point.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009

OMG the horror!

My property is going up so much in value I cant afford to pay the taxes on it. SOB!

WHats that you say? Rent control? NO no no thats just wrong.

Surely you can defend one of the worst tax laws in history with a few more salient points.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
Legislature doesn't collect property taxes, local governments do. It seems like having this very basic knowledge should be a prerequisite for opining on prop 13, but apparently not for you.

Actually the Property and Special Taxes Department provides guidance to the county assessors who determine the property tax. The tax is collected by counties but is sent to the state. The state then sends some money back to the counties. This has lead to some inequalities in the past such as low populated counties such as Inyo or Modoc receiving 25 cents back of each dollar in property tax they sent to the state while Orange County receives just 7.5cents back for each dollar they send.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
You expect all the people sitting on welfare or unemployment to vote for balancing the budget? LMAO. The debt pyramid will collapse, that is a certainty, just as the pain of spending cuts is unavoidable. The only question is are you going to take the medicine now, or will you wait until the country is on the brink of default, and austerity measures are imposed on you?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That seems like this way it should be.

The ability to take money from the population should be severely restricted otherwise the government will just tax the population to death.

I didn't notice this until now, are you retarded? If the percentage of legislators required to approve spending is less than the percentage required to pay for that spending, there will always be areas where you have enough support for spending but not enough for the taxes to cover it, a recipe for catastrophically bad government. It doesn't matter what those percentages are, but they absolutely should be equal.

This is like government 101, that you didn't get it does make a lot of your other positions make more sense though. You're so committed to ultra right wing anti-tax orthodoxy that you believe a state should have a malfunctioning government rather than give it up.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
My preference would be:

Deductions:

Don't stop there though.

-Global Foreign Aid: $112.29 (This paycheck) / $1986.15 (YTD)
-War on Drugs: $63.92 (This paycheck) / $1130.60 (YTD)

And so on...

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I didn't notice this until now, are you retarded? If the percentage of legislators required to approve spending is less than the percentage required to pay for that spending, there will always be areas where you have enough support for spending but not enough for the taxes to cover it, a recipe for catastrophically bad government. It doesn't matter what those percentages are, but they absolutely should be equal.

This is like government 101, that you didn't get it does make a lot of your other positions make more sense though. You're so committed to ultra right wing anti-tax orthodoxy that you believe a state should have a malfunctioning government rather than give it up.

i.e. California.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

That is where the balanced budget comes into play.

The government CAN'T spend too much because the amendment won't allow it.
It will force the people in charge to make the tough decisions instead of just borrowing or taxing.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That is where the balanced budget comes into play.

The government CAN'T spend too much because the amendment won't allow it.
It will force the people in charge to make the tough decisions instead of just borrowing or taxing.

You sure are hung up on this "taxing" (as in raising) taxes thing. When was the last time you (or anyone for that matter) saw a tax hike from the federal government? How many times (and how much) was it lowered since that last raise?

It's not tax and spend anymore, it's cut taxes and spend...both parties. One spends more than the other but they admit that they are the spend party. The other one states lower spending and taxes and only delivers on the lower taxes portion.