Senate Doctors - republicans explain healthcare reform

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The only two senate members who are doctors provide bi-weekly show to showcase ideas for reform. The article is old but you can find all the episodes on youtube, just search "senate doctors". A lot of the ideas they propose are very sound and puts to rest any idea of "well republicans have nothing, all they do is try to defeat". Very good information in these videos from people that obviously know what they are talking about.

"Senators John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) and Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) will host the show every Tuesday and Thursday at 4:00 p.m. EST.

Barrasso is an orthopedic trauma surgeon and former president of the Wyoming Medical Society, and Coburn is a family practice physician specializing in obstetrics. The senators will have guests on their show to discuss policy, as well as the "questions, stories, concerns and comments about health care proposals" from their constituents, according to a release. "

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2...eet/entry5147491.shtml

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
This ought to be interesting. I'll have a look. Some conservatives do have good ideas about health care/insurance reform, and I'd like to hear more. I do however get the feeling that having Senate doctors fix the medical system is akin to having Senate Lawyers (regardless of party affiliation) fix the legal system. :p

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I recall Sen. Bill Frist (also a doctor) claimed that he cast his "informed vote" in the Terry Schiavo case after looking at some videos of her and determining that she was in fact responsive, which was in opposition to the diagnosis of her ACTUAL doctors who had been attending to her for years.

I already saw Coburn on MTP last week, I've heard what I need to hear from him.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Quick! Quick! Divert! Divert!

who's diverting? you claim that senators who are also doctors will have a better take on heathcare reform than non-doctors because they really "know what they're talking about" as opposed to justifying their political position based on their medical degrees. we're calling bullshit on your position. frist knew dick about schiavo but voted against her doctors who "knew what they were talking about". Priority: Politicians first, doctors somewhere way down the line. These 2 also would outlaw all abortions if they could, they don't give a shit about womens health.

imported_inspire

Jun 29, 2006
Originally posted by: jonks

who's diverting? you claim that senators who are also doctors will have a better take on heathcare reform than non-doctors because they really "know what they're talking about" as opposed to justifying their political position based on their medical degrees. we're calling bullshit on your position. frist knew dick about schiavo but voted against her doctors who "knew what they were talking about". Priority: Politicians first, doctors somewhere way down the line. These 2 also would outlaw all abortions if they could, they don't give a shit about womens health.

jonks, be fair - you're generalizing base off of one guy. I mean - can't you agree that these guys would at least be more worth listening to than others?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
We'd be better edified by a Hollywood actor who protrayed a Health Care Economist than a MD Senator...

An MD is an expert in his speciality, Medicine... I don't think my physician is better able to understand HR 3200 than I am... although, I will say that having read most of it now... I can't seem to figure out how it can be better and cost effective that what we have... I'm not an Attending Internist... so maybe I'm wrong Cuz she supports it.

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
Remember when we had a doctor senator diagnose Terri Schaivo as being conscious? I'm pretty sure no one cares what a politician's background is when they say something and they only draw on it to score cheap points.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I too watched Dr. TOM Coburn and found a few things I could agree with, but somehow I don't think we can design a rational health care system by saying, ask not what we can do to design a rational health care system and instead ask what this country can do to further enrich medical doctors as they treat only the wealthy.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
I don't see any new ideas there. More of the same stuff, just a different language. "Tax credits" has been proven to be a bunk idea for healthcare reform because people don't actually spend it on healthcare. It's bunk fiscally too because it does little to jumpstart an economy. Tax cuts is all Republicans have these days and it's very, very old, and certainly not tried and true.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Meh, I was mainly showing that conservatives DO have plenty of good ideas for healthcare reform. The Patient Choice Act of 2009 is one shining example. It's not just "tax cuts" it's a philosophy that the patient/citizen is in control of their healthcare that defines the differences in the approaches. So without making it a YAHCT, I wanted to show the ideas. I haven't watched all of them, just little snippets.

And I would trust a doctor's opinion more than a non-doctor because, and call me naive, I think most all doctors want what is best for the patient.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Pens1566
Damn, beaten to the Frist comment by jonks .... <shakes fist angrily>

dangitfersheet - LOL

Watch the Republicans play the "We are Doctors so we know what we are Talking about" (Authoritarian Figure) Card.

Tom "I advised Senator Ensign" Coburn is right up there with Bill "I diagnosed Terri Schaivo" Frist

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Meh, I was mainly showing that conservatives DO have plenty of good ideas for healthcare reform. The Patient Choice Act of 2009 is one shining example. It's not just "tax cuts" it's a philosophy that the patient/citizen is in control of their healthcare that defines the differences in the approaches. So without making it a YAHCT, I wanted to show the ideas. I haven't watched all of them, just little snippets.

And I would trust a doctor's opinion more than a non-doctor because, and call me naive, I think most all doctors want what is best for the patient.

I looked up a summary of it and found this:
Government should offer effective, efficient, and sustainable public programs for those who need them.

Didn't know you were for a public option Spidey, good to see you've come around.

*Edit* Source:
http://www.healthtransformatio...s?pressrelease.id=2680

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

So, then you'd agree Bill Frist was wrong?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: inspire
Originally posted by: jonks

jonks, be fair - you're generalizing base off of one guy. I mean - can't you agree that these guys would at least be more worth listening to than others?

Possibly. If they add their 2c, it might have merit. Chances are they'll just be towing the Party Line though.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This thread is absolutely hilarious. An OP presenting knowledgeable ideas is facing the shout down and diversion.

Hypocrisy - how's it taste?

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
This thread is absolutely hilarious. An OP presenting knowledgeable ideas is facing the shout down and diversion.

...hmm... nobody's "shouting" you down...

But, I'll ask again - do you agree Bill Frist was wrong?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

DIVERT! DIVERT!!!

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

DIVERT! DIVERT!!!

So, then you agree that Frist made a error...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

What the hell does he have to do with anything in this thread other than the blatant diversion?

Let me say it again - republicans do have ideas and proposals to address reform. These guys are trying to inform the public and the whole "repugs don't have anything to offer and they only want to defeat" is complete bullshit.

Now carry on with your diversion.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

What the hell does he have to do with anything in this thread other than the blatant diversion?

Yes or no - was Frist wrong in his opinion? and it does matter in the overall aspect of the topic...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Yes or no - was Frist wrong in his opinion? and it does matter in the overall aspect of the topic...

Divert, divert.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

Divert, divert.

You can't see it, (course you can), but you're derailing your own thread....

Was Frist correct?