Senate Committee finds abundant evidence of profiteering off organs from aborted fetuses

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Can we define the ethical dilemma, given that abortion is not illegal and no legal person is being harmed?

Ethics isn't a matter of logical consistency but rather agreeable contractual obligation. In this case, baby production seems something of a moral hazard, esp for the poor. It's similarly the only good reason to discourage prostitution.

In any case, few are taking this thread seriously because like most others there's not much serious to be said about whatever the hell american conservatives are told to find outrageous.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
As it stands now, poor women are being exploited by corporations that are using Planned Parenthood as cover and perhaps even as a scapegoat.
Will you please provide us with some scholarly proof of this? As for ethics, its based upon a persons moral views which often times can conflict with the law. How many times have we encountered a situation where it is legal to do a certain thing but morally unjustified? When it comes to abortions I will not pass judgement on the involved parties.

A woman should have governance over her own body just as a man does. She is entitled to abort a portion of it just like a man can have a penile implant or get a tattoo. I do not agree with abortion when a woman's life is not in jeopardy but it isn't my choice or right to impose my views just as another person doesn't have the right to tell you to stop overeating or smoking.

As for the religious freakazoids you should go read your bibles and see where a person doesn't become a person until they are born into this world at which point the sin clock starts ticking. For some of these abortions they're better off not being born which would most likely result in their eternal damnation.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Netting $2200 from a fetus for which you paid $60 is profiteering.

It probably isn't to be honest.

The storage and transportation of that sort of medical specimen isn't that cheap and pretty much everything under the umbrella of health costs more than you think it would.

If you're unhappy with private companies making any profit from this would you be happier if the fetuses were donated free directly to any research laboratory that wanted them?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Netting $2200 from a fetus for which you paid $60 is profiteering.

I don't see any evidence that any portion of the $2200 is profit. I just see an armchair quarterback named Grassley claiming that some portion of it must be profit based on the fact that he can't understand how processing a fetus into specific parts might actually cost $2200. Meanwhile an aspirin from the hospital costs $700. Grassley probably thinks this company picked a guy up from the Home Depot parking lot to part out babies.