Sen. Marco Rubio caught lying about his family history

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Oh there are PLENTY of reasons to bash Obama. I just think it's hilarious how open you are about being a partisan apologist. Your attempts to deflect are particularly pathetic by the way. Who cares if Rubio is running to be VP or P? Weak strawman.

When Rubio is spending us trillions more into debt, starting wars, etc and I don't say anything you might have a point. Until then, we haven't really had any threads about Rubio since he was elected and NOW all of a SUDDEN, this story appears? Coincidence that he's being talked about for VP? I don't think so. Democrat hate machine at its finest.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
When Rubio is spending us trillions more into debt, starting wars, etc and I don't say anything you might have a point. Until then, we haven't really had any threads about Rubio since he was elected and NOW all of a SUDDEN, this story appears? Coincidence that he's being talked about for VP? I don't think so. Democrat hate machine at its finest.

I guess that Iraq thing was free. I must admit one thing you are consistantly inconsistant.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Bottom line....Who gives a rat's ass what a junior Senator from Florida has to say about anything. Get a life people.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001

What wars did Obama start?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Bottom line....Who gives a rat's ass what a junior Senator from Florida has to say about anything. Get a life people.

According to the oracle ProJohn, Rubio is the annointed savior for the GOP in 2016 (provided they don't win in 2012). And you can't get closer to official GOP doctrine than PJ.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You have to be some kind of real low down scum to defend this lying asshole. What a worthless piece of crap. I bet my paycheck he's also a closet gay.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I guess I don't understand the thinking that says you're not an exile unless you left the day after that Castro officially took control.

Fern

That's not the lie he told. This is:

Rubio — now considered a prospective 2012 Republican vice presidential candidate and a possible future presidential contender — mentions his parents in the second sentence of the official biography on his Senate Web site. It says that Mario and Oriales Rubio “came to America following Fidel Castro’s takeover.”
And the idea that because the Cuban Revolution start is dated to Castro's 1953 attack on the Moncada Barracks somehow absolves him from this lie is ignorant wishful thinking on the part of Rubio apologists.

Learn your history. Get the facts. Admit he lied. In 1956, when his parents left for America for economic reasons, there was no active opposition in Cuba whatsoever!

The real story of his parents’ migration appears to be a more conventional immigrant narrative, a couple who came to the United States seeking a better life. In the year they arrived in Florida, the future Marxist dictator was in Mexico plotting a quixotic return to Cuba.
Wikipedia for you dummies and for those of you who just wish to play dumb:

• 1952 March Former president Batista, supported by the army, seizes power.
[edit] 1953

• 1953 July 26 Some 160 revolutionaries under the command of Fidel Castro launch an attack on the Moncada barracks in Santiago de Cuba.
  • 1953 October 16 Fidel Castro makes "History Will Absolve Me" speech in his own defense against the charges brought on him after the attack on the Moncada Barracks.
[edit] 1954

• 1954 September Che Guevara arrives in Mexico City.
  • 1954 November Batista dissolves parliament and is elected constitutional president without opposition.
[edit] 1955

• 1955 May Fidel and surviving members of his movement are released from prison under an amnesty from Batista.
  • 1955 June Brothers Fidel and Raúl Castro are introduced to Che Guevara in Mexico City.
[edit] 1956

• 1956 November 25 Fidel Castro, with some 80 insurgents including Raúl Castro, Che Guevara and Camilo Cienfuegos set sail from Mexico for Cuba on the yacht Granma.
  • 1956 December 2 Granma lands in Oriente Province.
[edit] 1957

• 1957 January 17, Castro's guerrillas score their first success by sacking an army outpost on the south coast, and started gaining followers in both Cuba and abroad.
  • 1957 March 13, University students mount an unsuccessful attack on the Presidential Palace in Havana.
  • 1957 May 28, Castro's 26 July movement overwhelm an army post in El Uvero.
  • 1957 July 30 Cuban revolutionary Frank País is killed in the streets of Santiago de Cuba by police while campaigning for the overthrow of Batista government.
[edit] 1958

• 1958 February Raúl Castro opens a front in the Sierra de Cristal on Oriente's north coast.
  • 1958 March 13 U.S. suspends shipments of arms to Batista's forces.
  • 1958 March 17 Castro calls for a general revolt.
  • 1958 April 9 A general strike, organized by the 26th of July movement, is partially observed.
  • 1958 May Batista sends an army of 10,000 into the Sierra Maestra to destroy Castro's 300 armed guerrillas. By August, the rebels had defeated the army's advance and captured a huge amount of arms.
  • 1958 November 1 A Cuban aircraft en route from Miami to Havana is hijacked by militants but crashes. The hijackers were trying to land at Sierra Cristal in Eastern Cuba to deliver weapons to Raúl Castro's rebels. It is the first of what was to become many Cuba-U.S. hijackings[1]
  • 1958 December Guevara directs a rebel attack on Santa Clara
  • 1958 December 28 Guevara's guerrilla troops seize Santa Clara.
  • 1958 December 31 Camilo Cienfuegos leads revolutionary guerrillas to victory in Yaguajay.
Rubio intentionally misrepresented his family history. Just admit it, apologists. Then we can move on.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
That's not the lie he told. This is:

And the idea that because the Cuban Revolution start is dated to Castro's 1953 attack on the Moncada Barracks somehow absolves him from this lie is ignorant wishful thinking on the part of Rubio apologists.

Learn your history. Get the facts. Admit he lied. In 1956, when his parents left for America for economic reasons, there was no active opposition in Cuba whatsoever!

Wikipedia for you dummies and for those of you who just wish to play dumb:

Rubio intentionally misrepresented his family history. Just admit it, apologists. Then we can move on.

Aww.. right on cue. Perkie got his marching orders and here he is. On the scale of 1 to 100 in importance this is about a -5784. Your failure in chief is nervous about the brown man possibly running against him as VP so out come the rabid attack dogs.. I think Rubio may have also taken home a paper clip from his office once as well, we should probably waterboard him.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Aww.. right on cue. Perkie got his marching orders and here he is. On the scale of 1 to 100 in importance this is about a -5784. Your failure in chief is nervous about the brown man possibly running against him as VP so out come the rabid attack dogs.. I think Rubio may have also taken home a paper clip from his office once as well, we should probably waterboard him.

Way to engage the facts as I patiently layed them out. Rubio lied. Instead of simply admitting this truth, all you can do is blow your partisan bugle and Divert! Divert! Divert!

You and your posts are a joke you yourself don't get.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

:eek:o_O:rolleyes:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Way to engage the facts as I patiently layed them out. Rubio lied. Instead of simply admitting this truth, all you can do is blow your partisan bugle and Divert! Divert! Divert!

You and your posts are a joke you yourself don't get.

Not much you can say to folk who have no personal integrity and no shame.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

I reread my post. I stick by it. Also do not see how I apologized for him in any way.

As far as to why his parents, I still only see 'guesses' that they left for economic reasons ('better life'). Those guesses are no better than mine that they might have left because of Castro's fighting since early in the 50's.

Seems to me the smart thing to do with revolution is looming is sell your assets while you can and GTFO. Those waiting to leave until after he took power left with pretty much nothing, couldn't sell businesses or real estate then.

I do, however, agree that his statement his parents left AFTER Castro took power is obviously untrue.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I reread my post. I stick by it. Also do not see how I apologized for him in any way.

As far as to why his parents, I still only see 'guesses' that they left for economic reasons ('better life'). Those guesses are no better than mine that they might have left because of Castro's fighting since early in the 50's.

Seems to me the smart thing to do with revolution is looming is sell your assets while you can and GTFO. Those waiting to leave until after he took power left with pretty much nothing, couldn't sell businesses or real estate then.

I do, however, agree that his statement his parents left AFTER Castro took power is obviously untrue.

Really? Here's what you posted:

I'm not exactly sure what qualifies one as an "exile", but the Cuban revolution started in 1953 well before his parents came here. It might be that they left because of the fighting. I guess I don't understand the thinking that says you're not an exile unless you left the day after that Castro officially took control.
In May of 1956 there was no fighting whatsoever, and no revolution looming! The lie that his parents left then as exiles from Castro is just that, a lie!

Read the history of the Cuban revolution. I even posted a Wiki timeline for you.

In May of 1956, the only fighting or "revolution" there had ever been was the abortive 1953 barracks raid, for which Castro and others had been promptly captured, tried, convicted and imprisoned.

Batista was SO scared of Castro that he gave him and his followers full amnesty in 1955. The Castro boys promptly skedaddled to Mexico.

Your first suppostion that Rubio's parents "left because of the fighting" and your backtrack supposition that they maybe left in May of 1956 "with the revolution looming" simply don't stand up to reality, and yet you've doubled down and now state that you stick by your post?

Fern, you may not be a Rubio apologist in your mind, but here in this thread, you are certainly acting as though you are.

Hint for the willfully blind: The reason Rubio lied about his parent's history is because those Cuban immigrants who came before 1959 are often distrusted and looked down upon by the TRUE anti-Castro exiles who did leave because of Castro.

I'm not endorsing this feeling amongst the rabid anti-Castro Cubans, but it is why Rubio repeatedly lied.

Please stop stonewalling the facts and admit it, Rubio lied.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Really? Here's what you posted:

In May of 1956 there was no fighting whatsoever, and no revolution looming! The lie that his parents left then as exiles from Castro is just that, a lie!

Read the history of the Cuban revolution. I even posted a Wiki timeline for you.

In May of 1956, the only fighting or "revolution" there had ever been was the abortive 1953 barracks raid, for which Castro and others had been promptly captured, tried, convicted and imprisoned.

Batista was SO scared of Castro that he gave him and his followers full amnesty in 1955. The Castro boys promptly skedaddled to Mexico.

Your first suppostion that Rubio's parents "left because of the fighting" and your backtrack supposition that they maybe left in May of 1956 "with the revolution looming" simply don't stand up to reality, and yet you've doubled down and now state that you stick by your post?

Fern, you may not be a Rubio apologist in your mind, but here in this thread, you are certainly acting as though you are.

Hint for the willfully blind: The reason Rubio lied about his parent's history is because those Cuban immigrants who came before 1959 are often distrusted and looked down upon by the TRUE anti-Castro exiles who did leave because of Castro.

I'm not endorsing this feeling amongst the rabid anti-Castro Cubans, but it is why Rubio repeatedly lied.

Please stop stonewalling the facts and admit it, Rubio lied.

Damn, I try to be nice and give him the benefit of the doubt and you have to come along and hit me facts.

OK, so not only is he an idiot teabagger, he's is a liar.

Maybe there's a trifecta somewhere in here.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

Never heard of that.

And I lived in Miami for a number of years. Most all of my friends were Cubans who came over in 60's (the big exodus when most fled). Nevermind, I googled, the big boat lift was in '65, must've been that one. My best friend's (Jose) dad was a mayor down there. While I heard a lot of stuff about Castro, Cuban politics and the people who came to Miami I never heard of any resentment or distrust of those coming over early.

Fern

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Stupid hit piece is stupid. loliberals strike again
If you can find an NPR news story played on air today, they replay an interview with him from last year where Marco Rubio definitely claims his parents came to the US in 1959. (The underlying problem is he has definitely made this claim on a number of occasions and it was not merely a one time misspeak.)

Much more problematically for Rubio is in the same interview Rubio claims his brother was six when he first came to the US. The huge issue is that his brother was born in 1950, (there appears to be absolutely no dispute of this detail) which means that the only date that actually works is 1956. (Certainly not the 1959 date.)

With such a blatantly glaring contradiction, "family lore" or not, its simply not plausible that Marco Rubio could go through almost the first 40 years of his life and never note this inconsistency and ask anyone in his family to explain it. It looks very clear that Marco Rubio has deliberately made this false claim about his background on the numerous occasions he has repeated it. (I you use google news, there are a bunch of occasions cited among the various articles out there.)

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Much more problematically for Rubio is in the same interview Rubio claims his brother was six when he first came to the US. The huge issue is that his brother was born in 1950, (there appears to be absolutely no dispute of this detail) which means that the only date that actually works is 1956. (Certainly not the 1959 date.)

When he said, first came here, does that mean to live permanently. I could see interpreting that as came here for the first time, like on a trip. Just guessing. This might not make him a liar still. Who knows.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
When he said, first came here, does that mean to live permanently. I could see interpreting that as came here for the first time, like on a trip. Just guessing. This might not make him a liar still. Who knows.
While they only replaced excerpts of the interview in the NPR report, it definitely sounded like he was talking about permanently.

Why I am looking for any followup, I haven't seen any evidence that there were any earlier trips which occurred which Rubio could be talking about. (It makes even less sense that family lore would falsely claim such a trip occurred.) I'll look a little bit more to see I Rubio repeated this claim on another occasion or if a transcript exists online.

Edit: Here is a link to the NPR interview.
http://www.npr.org/2011/10/21/141597314/roig-franzia-discusses-questions-about-rubios-background

Upon review they don't actually play any part of the interview where Rubio says his brother came over at the age of 6, (its very clear they are talking about potentially permanently and not some temporary trip) but the NPR reporter treats it as a basic fact, (the sort he would have researched for the radio segment) as if Rubio has said this on numerous occasions and its not something he might have said by mistake once. If the reporter got it wrong, I would definitely expect followup and a retraction from NPR. (Realistically this detail is likely to get into other news sources and cause further problems for Rubio unless he can effectively rebut it by showing he only said that about his brother once by mistake or something.)

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
His parents were psychic about Castro coming just like obama's momma who knew her half black baby in 1961 would be president one day so she went down to the news paper and had them publish a hawaii record of his african birth.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
His parents were psychic about Castro coming just like obama's momma who knew her half black baby in 1961 would be president one day so she went down to the news paper and had them publish a hawaii record of his african birth.

I must be psychic. I knew you would say that.