Sen. Marco Rubio caught lying about his family history

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
How delightful!! An encor,... with deflection no less!!!

Wonderful!!

/throws roses at the filthy conservative slime bag performing on the stage

Just so we are clear - your golden boy is clean, because someone else said it - his parents,... but you still bring up Obama's pastor when you get all wet and excited?

You missed the foam apparently.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Oooooooh, you should have stopped when you contradicted yourself in bringing up the "it's not his fault" point. Now, you are aren't making any sense.

Somehow, what you have said really backs up the statement that he did something wrong. Its not about what he said, its about what his parents said.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Good. Vote his ass out of office and get someone who isn't a lying sack of shit in there.

You will need to vote out most of congress along with obama and biden if you wish to rid washington of lying sacks of shit. To be honest though... this is about a 1.6 out of 10 on the lying scale.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Whan an honorable person would have done...

"I was led to believe the timeline was factual. I now know it is not. I should have vetted the story before making it part of my biography. I apologize and assure you it won't happen again."

Cowardly weasel does this...

"It was my parents fault!"

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

"I was led to believe the timeline was factual. I now know it is not. I should have vetted the story before making it part of my biography. I apologize and assure you it won't happen again."

Since he didn't so either. Who isn't going to believe the story their parent's told them? Besides we are just arguing about semantics on this one.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What, one cant become an exile after leaving their country? This is really down on the list of things I would worry about. I would look at it as they left before Castro took power. Afte he took powerr they considered themselves exiles or maybe Castro's govt put them on a list banning them from coming home.

Right, maybe as in fairyland. Jesus. And to think this lying asshole was in the grooming process to become President. I bet my paycheck he was born in Cuba and isn't an American citizen. Let's see the forged birth certificate.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Right, maybe as in fairyland. Jesus. And to think this lying asshole was in the grooming process to become President. I bet my paycheck he was born in Cuba and isn't an American citizen. Let's see the forged birth certificate.

You just read my mind Moonie!;)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Since he didn't so either. Who isn't going to believe the story their parent's told them? Besides we are just arguing about semantics on this one.

Uuugh, he blamed his parents!

To suggest my family's story is embellished for political gain is outrageous. The dates I have given regarding my family's history have always been based on my parents' recollections of events that occurred over 55 years ago and which were relayed to me by them more than two decades after they happened. I was not made aware of the exact dates until very recently

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Uuugh, he blamed his parents!
To suggest my family's story is embellished for political gain is outrageous. The dates I have given regarding my family's history have always been based on my parents' recollections of events that occurred over 55 years ago and which were relayed to me by them more than two decades after they happened. I was not made aware of the exact dates until very recently
According to Marco Rubio's Wiki page, his parents were naturalized in 1975. That means his parents had to have renewed their green cards a couple of times which means they had to fill out renewal applications which likely included date of immigration. Also on the application for naturalization too.

:hmm:

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Wow. The left is really stretching for things these days aren't they? I heard he once took an office pen home as well. Only seems to further show that you shouldn't dare to be a minority or a woman and not a liberal.

Hilarious - you have no problem whining about everything Obama does yet you come in here waving the apologist banner for this guy.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

You do have an excellent point. Remember Candidate Obama's speech about race relationships where he told an anecdote about his grandmother crossing the street to avoid "suspicious" blacks? All the right wing/Rush crowd got out of that was Obama throwing his grandmother under the bus to save his candidacy.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Hilarious - you have no problem whining about everything Obama does yet you come in here waving the apologist banner for this guy.

Marco Rubio isn't running up trillions in debt, starting more wars against brown people, and causing unemployment and the economy to stay in the shitter. Unless you are suggesting Rubio might be the next President or VP.. :thumbsup: I think that is really what this thread is about, his name is being tossed around for a possible VP spot to shore up Florida's vote, so its time for the Democrat spin and lie machine to get into full swing against the brown person who dares defy them.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Stupid hit piece is stupid. loliberals strike again

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nake...st-embellish-marco-rubios-embellishments.html

That's false. Rubio's parents came to the US before then, in 1956. They remained in the US after Castro took over in 1959. They returned to Cuba for brief stints early on, before the country devolved into Soviet-style totalitarianism.

But the top of the story suggests Rubio himself has given this "dramatic account:" that "he was the son of exiles, he told audiences, Cuban Americans forced off their beloved island after 'a thug,' Fidel Castro, took power." (Update note: The story struck the word "dramatic").

However, the story doesn't cite one speech where Rubio actually said that.

To back up the lead, the Washington Post excerpts from a 2006 address in the Florida House where Rubio said “in January of 1959 a thug named Fidel Castro took power in Cuba and countless Cubans were forced to flee... Today your children and grandchildren are the secretary of commerce of the United States and multiple members of Congress...and soon, even speaker of the Florida House.”

The catch: If you listen to the speech, Rubio isn't just talking about those who specifically fled Cuba after Castro took power. He doesn't say that his parents fled Cuba. Instead, he was talking about "a community of exiles." That is: He was talking about all the Cubans who live in Miami.

Regardless of when his parents left Cuba, they were exiles because they stayed in the US, specifically Miami, in a community where they soon felt they couldn't go back to their homeland. Though the story said his parents left for economic reasons, it's silent about the fact that the dictator before Castro, Batista, was so brutal that it made Castro look like a good alternative at first. (Insert debate over the fairness of the post-Castro Cuban Adjustment Act here).

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Marco Rubio isn't running up trillions in debt, starting more wars against brown people, and causing unemployment and the economy to stay in the shitter. Unless you are suggesting Rubio might be the next President or VP.. :thumbsup: I think that is really what this thread is about, his name is being tossed around for a possible VP spot to shore up Florida's vote, so its time for the Democrat spin and lie machine to get into full swing against the brown person who dares defy them.

Oh there are PLENTY of reasons to bash Obama. I just think it's hilarious how open you are about being a partisan apologist. Your attempts to deflect are particularly pathetic by the way. Who cares if Rubio is running to be VP or P? Weak strawman.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/10/marco_rubio_exaggerated_his_fa.php

According to documents unearthed by birthers earlier this week, Rubio isn't actually the "son of exiles" he claims to be. His parents came to the United States in 1956 -- nearly three years before Castro came to power.

Marco Rubio simply "misspoke" over and over and over again.

I'm not exactly sure what qualifies one as an "exile", but the Cuban revolution started in 1953 well before his parents came here. It might be that they left because of the fighting. I guess I don't understand the thinking that says you're not an exile unless you left the day after that Castro officially took control.

Fern