Sen. Bill Frist Trades In Suburban for Prius Under Cash for Clunkers Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A Republican buying an eco-friendly hybrid vehicle -- and a Japanese one at that (not even American-made like the Camry). Stop the presses!! :) It's a pretty light-hearted read and I love how Howard Dean just had to get his little dig in there at the end ;)

NASHVILLE, Tennessee ? Recently retired Sen. Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) has traded in the vehicle you might expect him to own ? a 1991 Chevrolet Suburban ? for a brand-new Toyota Prius under the government's just-concluded Cash for Clunkers program.

When asked about the reported trade-in by talk-show host Larry King on CNN's Larry King Live, the former Senate majority leader acknowledged it, commenting, "You don't see a lot of Republicans driving a Prius." He said the "50 miles to the gallon" convinced him to get the Toyota. That, and the fact that "the taxpayer gave me $6,000 to do it, so I'm out there driving my Prius." He also said, he was "very sad" that the Suburban will be junked.

Frist was exaggerating, since the program gives a maximum of $4,500 back on a cash-for-clunkers trade.

The blog "Nashville Is Talking" got confirmation from Nashville auto dealer Lee Beaman that Frist made the trade. Tennessee's WKRN got a clarification from Frist that he had misspoken about how much he would be receiving in government rebate cash.

Not to be outdone, King's other guest, Howard Dean, riposted: "As a good Democrat, I'm about to do the same, but I'm going to get a Ford Escape because I like to buy American."

Inside Line says: A Republican exaggerating? That may be the real news here. ? Laura Sky Brown, Correspondent
http://www.edmunds.com/insidel.../News/articleId=155708

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Kind of funny considering Ford billion+ dollar move to Mexico and Toyotas multibillion dollar move to...the US.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
LOL at the Dean comment. If he really cared about America he should buy a GM product, not one of those Mexican Fords :).

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
"That, and the fact that "the taxpayer gave me $6,000 to do it"

Because you voted for them to...? Did he. A little ironic.

edit: maybe he was retired by then

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Drako
LOL at the Dean comment. If he really cared about America he should buy a GM product, not one of those Mexican Fords :).

The Escape Hybrid is built in Kansas City

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Drako

The Escape Hybrid is built in Kansas City

I realize that - it was a joke. See above smiley face.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
FWIW Prius are quite cheap now still. I found a couple of 08s with perhaps 30k miles for about 19k. Actually, maybe that isn't so cheap afterall. Why I'm actually hitting reply now and not closing the window, I don't know, but damnit I've spent this long typing and now I am committed.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Originally posted by: xj0hnx
Kind of funny considering Ford billion+ dollar move to Mexico and Toyotas multibillion dollar move to...the US.

Really? Done your research lately? Didn't think so.

Toyota is moving out of the US. They have stated there are many models they can no longer profitably build here. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good old rose-color love-fest for the imports.

Status
Not open for further replies.