Semi-Decent DVD Player Recommendations

Apr 5, 2000
Going to buy my parents a DVD player for Christmas, quick question: is progressive scan really worth it? It's not going on a super hi-fi tv - just a couple year old 27" Sanyo tv, stock speakers, none of that home theater stuff. Would they really be able to tell the difference on an older tv?

EDIT: Need recc. for a semi-decent dvd player under $150

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
There is no difference on that tv between pro-scan and non pro-scan players from the same company. That said, there is some difference between players from different companies.

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Going to buy my parents a DVD player for Christmas, quick question: is progressive scan really worth it? It's not going on a super hi-fi tv - just a couple year old 27" Sanyo tv, stock speakers, none of that home theater stuff. Would they really be able to tell the difference on an older tv?

Nope. Get the cheaper one, unless they are upgrading soon to something that can handle pro-scan :)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I think the key here is to buy a reputable brand and check the consumer reports... A friend of mine at Circuit City claimed that a lot of the sub $100 DVD players come back because of defects. My preferred DVD brands are JVC, Sony, Panasonic, and Pioneer. Toshiba makes an alright system as well... (those are in no particular order, but Pioneer used to beat the rest in reviews about 2 years ago and I currently own a Panasonic)

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I'd go with the progressive scan model.

The price difference isn't really astronomically large, and it beats buying another player down the road when they decide to upgrade their TV to something that supports progressive scanning.

zayened

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2001
progressive scan is a high definition signal that can ONLY BE SEEN ON A HIGH DEFINITION TV! but becides that, pro scan dvd players usually play svcd's, so yeah, go with a pro scan :)

Apr 5, 2000
Alright that settles that. Looks like I'm going to BB tomorrow and picking up:

Panasonic DVD-RV32k

Unless anyone else has any recommendations. It's gotten 5 stars by all reviewers @ epinions, does all formats you can throw at it, and the best part:

$119.99 - $20MIR - $25 GC = $74.99 + tax

Not too shabby. Woah I sound like RossMAN!

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: N8Magic

The price difference isn't really astronomically large, and it beats buying another player down the road when they decide to upgrade their TV to something that supports progressive scanning.

I'd do that but my parents keep stuff until it literally falls apart, so there's no chance of getting a better tv soon :(

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: N8Magic

I'd do that but my parents keep stuff until it literally falls apart, so there's no chance of getting a better tv soon :(

I thought my parents were the same way, but now I think my dad spends more on technology junk than I do! :Q

You never know, but all in all, that Panasonic unit should serve them well for the time being.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Panasonic DVD-RV32k

Unless anyone else has any recommendations. It's gotten 5 stars by all reviewers @ epinions, does all formats you can throw at it, and the best part:

I can't find if this model supports VCD...
EDIT: BTW...WMA support sounds cool though.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

Panasonic DVD-RV32k

Sounds like a winner and excellent price.

It's also garnered 4 out of 5 stars out of 19 reviews on Amazon.com customer reviews.

Apr 5, 2000
RossMAN - yea seems like it. Thanks for the link!

Chadder - yep it does, does XVCD too (dunno what that is though)

N8 - I'll keep that in mind but I'm almost set on this one

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It should be a nice player, I had an RV31S that died last month. I replaced it with an RP62S.

Both have been excellent, the RV32 is just the evolution of the RV31.

Viper GTS

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
It should be a nice player, I had an RV31S that died last month. I replaced it with an RP62S.

Viper GTS

Vip - I think I remember you recommending the RV31 to me last year/year before. (I had wanted to get the 31 but didn't for some reason) What happened to your 31?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Get a free 1 year extended warranty by paying for your DVD Player with a VISA or Amex which offers this feature.

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Get a free 1 year extended warranty by paying for your DVD Player with a VISA or Amex which offers this feature.

RossMAN - thanks for the link, I'll def. use my Blue card tomorrow. Does AMEX just refund the $$ back if it breaks?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

RossMAN - thanks for the link, I'll def. use my Blue card tomorrow. Does AMEX just refund the $$ back if it breaks?

I honestly have no idea but I'd say they'll either repair it or give you a refund.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Vip - I think I remember you recommending the RV31 to me last year/year before. (I had wanted to get the 31 but didn't for some reason) What happened to your 31?
Actually, the '32' brought about some nice new features. I've heard there is a better navigation/menu system when it comes to playing MP3s on the RV32.

Also, if you have access to the Best Buy 10% off coupons for this coming weekend, you could save some more money on the deal. ;)

Now, I have a question. How good is the 4:3 Zoom feature for this player? I don't have a wide-screen TV, but a 4:3 Sony Vega. I would be interested in finding out how good this zoom feature works.

Thanks! :)

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
RossMAN,

Do you register all your purchases with Visa?

I think that Visa & MasterCard Gold and Platinum cards also provide the extended warranty (under certain terms), but I don't believe you're required to register your purchases for coverage.

I read the program terms & it was kinda funky. Basically, you fix an item under your own dime and their insurance carrier will refund you the bill. I've never actually tried to file a claim, so I don't know how it actually works out. Quite simply, fixing many electronic or PC components of yesteryear would be more costly than refunding the original purchase price.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: manly
RossMAN,

Do you register all your purchases with Visa?

I think that Visa & MasterCard Gold and Platinum cards also provide the extended warranty (under certain terms), but I don't believe you're required to register your purchases for coverage.

I read the program terms & it was kinda funky. Basically, you fix an item under your own dime and their insurance carrier will refund you the bill. I've never actually tried to file a claim, so I don't know how it actually works out. Quite simply, fixing many electronic or PC components of yesteryear would be more costly than refunding the original purchase price.

I've never filed a claim but I don't think you have to register your purchases with VISA. But I would suggest keeping your receipt to show what you bought, when and how you paid for it. I had assumed that all good VISA's offered this but I was wrong. My Alaska Airlines/BOFA card does not however my CitiBank Dividend Platinum Select card does.

So all my major computer/electronics purchases are made with my CitiBank cc.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OK, here's the latest on the "affordable" Panasonic DVD players that are available:

DVD-RV22K: Sold at Costco for $99.99 before a $20 mail-in rebate. According to Costco, the rebate offer will be running through 3/31/2003.

DVD-RV32K: Sold at Best Buy, Circuit City and other retailers for $119.99 before a $20 mail-in rebate.

DVD-RV27K: Sold at your local Target store for $119.99. I can't confirm if there is a rebate on this model. Also, Panasonic doesn't have any information on it at their Web site. However, speculating a little bit, it could be the same as the DVD-RV22K - or, very similar. (Edit: The DVD-RV27 player sold by Target appears to be the same as the DVD-RV32 player. Both give you the capability to play .WMA audio in addition to .MP3 songs.)

Cables? You might want to avoid Montster cables as they could run you as much money as the DVD player itself. I was just reading over at the Home Theater Forum that Monster makes a $90 electrical cable for your clothes dryer. Yes, your clothes dryer!

Here's some cable deals that I came across while I was out shopping for other goodies today:

6' Digital Optical cable by Philips/Magnavox: $16.95 @ Wal-Mart (Edit: Originally, I had stated $7.95 as the price, but that was wrong. The cable had been placed on the wrong rack @ W-M and a price scan revealed its true price. :( )

6' Digital Optical cable by GE: $14.95 @ Target

6' Component Video cables by P/M: $17.99 @ Wal-Mart

6' Component Video cables by GE: $9.99 @ Target. Doesn't appear to be the "best" quality, but rather an "OK cable.

6' "S" video cable by GE: $5.99 @ Target

12' Component video cables (I don't recall the brand, but are of good quality): $19.99 @ Target

Most of these same cables will run you roughly twice the price that I posted if you buy them at places such as Best Buy and Circuit City. So, shop wisely for your cables also. ;)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: wje
OK, here's the latest on the "affordable" Panasonic DVD players that are available:

DVD-RV22K: Sold at Costco for $99.99 before a $20 mail-in rebate. According to Costco, the rebate offer will be running through 3/31/2003.

DVD-RV32K: Sold at Best Buy, Circuit City and other retailers for $119.99 before a $20 mail-in rebate.

DVD-RV27K: Sold at your local Target store for $119.99. I can't confirm if there is a rebate on this model. Also, Panasonic doesn't have any information on it at their Web site. However, speculating a little bit, it could be the same as the DVD-RV22K - or, very similar.

THANK YOU for the excellent work in compiling all that info, I was going to do that when I had a chance.

If I find out the Panasonic DVD-RV22K for $80 (after $20 MIR) at Costco is a good all around model then I am so buying it. Also going to use my Amex to earn 2% rebate and get a free 1 year extended warranty.

Damn $80 is a smokin' deal.

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Does the RV32K play SVCDs?
Im checking out the link at vcdhelp here but Im not sure because of the reviews from users.

Steve819

Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: wje

DVD-RV27K: Sold at your local Target store for $119.99. I can't confirm if there is a rebate on this model. Also, Panasonic doesn't have any information on it at their Web site. However, speculating a little bit, it could be the same as the DVD-RV22K - or, very similar.

What is the difference between the 22K and the 32K. I was looking at getting a Panasonic DVD player as well.

Thanks.

Steve