Selling my Nikon

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
It's been about 8 months since I bought a Leica M240P, and the Nikon D810 hasn't seen much use. I wanted to make the switch to manual focus, but my eyes aren't good enough to manual focus on an SLR. The rangefinder focusing is a godsend, and the Leica glass is really as good as advertised!

There's definitely something to be said about the feel of the photos straight out of the Leica versus the Nikon. Sure, you might be able to edit the Nikon photos to have the same feel but only after a lot more work in post.

I'm going to sell off the Nikon camera body first, but I've been considering holding onto the glass to see what Nikon has up its sleeves for the D810 successor. The bodies definitely depreciate much faster than lenses, but I don't know what Nikon could do to get me back. Anyone else make the jump to mirrorless and held onto any great glass?

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
Most of the time you don't want any color shifting anyways for serious photography. Color is always controlled in post in the digital world. If you want straight out of camera amazing-ness film is tough to beat. Film + Leica glass = unbeatable with no post work..

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Most of the time you don't want any color shifting anyways for serious photography. Color is always controlled in post in the digital world. If you want straight out of camera amazing-ness film is tough to beat. Film + Leica glass = unbeatable with no post work..

Setting proper color balance in camera is very important for any kind of photography, casual or serious. For all of my shoots I set the camera up to give me the results I want and shoot in jpg. I don't want to spend two weeks in post process for every shoot. Why do that to yourself? Get it right in camera.

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
It's been about 8 months since I bought a Leica M240P, and the Nikon D810 hasn't seen much use. I wanted to make the switch to manual focus, but my eyes aren't good enough to manual focus on an SLR. The rangefinder focusing is a godsend, and the Leica glass is really as good as advertised!

There's definitely something to be said about the feel of the photos straight out of the Leica versus the Nikon. Sure, you might be able to edit the Nikon photos to have the same feel but only after a lot more work in post.

I'm going to sell off the Nikon camera body first, but I've been considering holding onto the glass to see what Nikon has up its sleeves for the D810 successor. The bodies definitely depreciate much faster than lenses, but I don't know what Nikon could do to get me back. Anyone else make the jump to mirrorless and held onto any great glass?

The Leica lens is likely giving you the great color. I prefer Zeiss over Nikon lenses. Nikon's sensor tech is top notch but they don't have the same look as Zeiss or Leica or the butter smooth and precise manual focus ring.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001

I sold my D600 + 16-35 f/4 to switch to Sony. I inherited 3 Leica lenses from my father to use with the Sony. The only 1st party lens I own for the A7 is the Sony 16-35 f4, but the 1 Leica lens that I use heavily is the 35 f2 Summicron. Unfortunately, the 50 f2 aperture blades are malfunctioning and the 90mm is full of dust (and my adapted Nikon 85 f1.8 works better for that focal length).

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
I sold my D600 + 16-35 f/4 to switch to Sony. I inherited 3 Leica lenses from my father to use with the Sony. The only 1st party lens I own for the A7 is the Sony 16-35 f4, but the 1 Leica lens that I use heavily is the 35 f2 Summicron. Unfortunately, the 50 f2 aperture blades are malfunctioning and the 90mm is full of dust (and my adapted Nikon 85 f1.8 works better for that focal length).

That's awesome! Wish my dad was into photography to pass me down some gear. My future kids better not think they're getting my Leica glass though! I actually bought an A7Rii last month as a backup to my Leica body since an A7Rii was half the price of another M240P, and I needed a backup plan for any paid shoots I go on. I haven't used it a whole lot admittedly, those raw files are freaking enormous, even compared to the Nikon!

I was able to unload my D810 this afternoon plus a Nikon battery grip for $2200. I think that was a fair amount.