Selling a damaged car

Status
Not open for further replies.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Anyone ever sell a screwed up car? Is private party the way to go or will any other places take it? I've got a 2003 BMW 330i that was hit while parked ... three times.

First time took off the bumper and broke the driver side wheel well plastic (have replacement plastic, don't feel like putting it in). This was in the middle of winter and the guy didn't leave a note or insurance info. Bumper itself is fine, it's held on by rope and duct tape, just needs to be reattached with the plastic.

Second time slightly damaged both driver side doors .. a Fedex truck came too fast around a corner and sideswiped the car. There are some paint scratches and the driver door is slightly dented in but damage is not too big of a deal. They paid out around $1800 to fix, probably would cost more to fix properly, which they would pay for if I actually took the car in.

Third time an idiot who can't drive a U-haul backed into the rear passenger side door. This damage is way more obvious but doesn't impede functionality of the doors at all. They paid out $1900, going off a purposely high estimate from my body shop.

Basically, I have $3700 in insurance checks. The car is worth $4400 KBB or $6300 clean NADA, in reality probably somewhere in the low-middle IF it was fixed and I took care of all the other stuff wrong with it (needs driver side window regulator, sunroof doesn't work, airbag light is on, brake light is on due to busted sensor even though pads have plenty of life, burns a lot of oil). I don't feel like dealing with it and would rather just sell the car for cheap without fixing anything, but I can't figure out how to set a price point or who to go to. The car drives fine and interior is in pretty good shape but has 151k miles and I'm ready to get rid of it. Any ideas for either price point or selling methods?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Maybe just donate it for tax purposes. Not sure who will want to pay for a beat up car.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Maybe just donate it for tax purposes. Not sure who will want to pay for a beat up car.

There has to be a bottom price for a car that drives and is fairly reliable, particularly after a few fixes are done. Even if the bottom price is $1000, that puts me above the KBB value, including the insurance checks. I'm just wondering if it's a little higher than that.

I already have donated around 3000 bucks to various things this year and can't afford to do any more

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Lots of people.
There has to be a bottom price for a car that drives and is fairly reliable, particularly after a few fixes are done. Even if the bottom price is $1000, that puts me above the KBB value, including the insurance checks. I'm just wondering if it's a little higher than that.

I already have donated around 3000 bucks to various things this year and can't afford to do any more
Yeah, any car that runs and drives has a value, but there are a lot of variables.
You can either list it on craigslist for $2k and deal with various people looking for a decent price, or just list it at a straight $1k and specify it's not negotiable if you'd rather just sell it and move on.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
needs driver side window regulator, sunroof doesn't work, airbag light is on, brake light is on due to busted sensor even though pads have plenty of life, burns a lot of oil

ugh buyers won't like that - and the high miles

for kicks put it on craigslist for $3k, maybe someone wants a BMW bad enough

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i sold a beat up ford taurus that a) had a dented (but still working just fine) passenger door from when i sideswiped a short concrete post (couldn't see the dang thing it was so low); b) had a damaged front bumper cover (plastic missing) from a friend hitting a pole in an airport parking lot when picking me up; c) had scrapes all down the passenger side from some chick trying to back through my car which ended up dragging her driver's side mirror all along the side (breaking it off); d) had a transmission that the ford dealer said 'if we take this thing apart we will never be able to put it together again;' and e) had hoses rotting apart in the engine bay and held together with duct tape. $500. i took it and ran. those vulcan V6s were bulletproof.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I bought a beat up pontiac vibe with 190k miles on it that had both passenger doors dented in pretty good for $2200. It also had a few minor mechanical issues that I fixed. Then I had my mountain bike mounted on the roof ripped off by a cable line that came loose and damaged the roof a bit, was cut a check for $1800 and didn't fix it. Sold it for $2400 after about a year and half of owning it.

Just put it on craigslist for $3k for awhile and if it doesn't sell keep dropping the price till it does. Somebody will want it even if it is just for a beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.