Sell all your oil investment gains Monday

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BansheeX

Sep 10, 2007
Pff, who's wearing the tinfoil now? If they knew it was sustainable why didn't they do it years ago?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
So selling at $139 wasn't all that bad of an idea, should have sold at $140'sh though instead

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Oh, who didn't listen to me? Oh nobody did.....

*Grabs 8-ball and goes back to heaven*

BansheeX

Sep 10, 2007
Originally posted by: mizzou
So selling at $139 wasn't all that bad of an idea, should have sold at $140'sh though instead

If you're a trader, sure, you can try to time the pullbacks. If you're a long-term investor and you know oil is in a bull market, you simply buy on pullbacks, you don't profit take in the middle of a crisis because you have no idea when XYZ is going to wake up and bail out of the dollar. It turns out that the recent gold drop was mostly in the paper market as these floundering banks and hedge funds had to sell their futures positions to stay afloat. The U.S. mint has stopped selling silver eagles and I can't find a local dealer with any gold coins. The physical bullion market is experiencing unprecedented demand, it's at least twice what it was last year.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: BansheeX

If you're a trader, sure, you can try to time the pullbacks. If you're a long-term investor and you know oil is in a bull market, you simply buy on pullbacks, you don't profit take in the middle of a crisis because you have no idea when XYZ is going to wake up and bail out of the dollar. It turns out that the recent gold drop was mostly in the paper market as these floundering banks and hedge funds had to sell their futures positions to stay afloat. The U.S. mint has stopped selling silver eagles and I can't find a local dealer with any gold coins. The physical bullion market is experiencing unprecedented demand, it's at least twice what it was last year.

I'm your huckleberry. Oil is heading back down, big time. There is no bull market, only bullshit market for fuckwits who have no idea how the financial system has worked in the last year.

Great, you can't find gold. Big fucking deal. Nobody gives a shit about gold except for wannabe King Midases and jewelery lovers.

I have bookmarked this thread and will resurrect it when oil collapses back down to $70 as you guys say. Because at this point, you aren't just arguing with "conspiracy theorists" anymore, you're arguing against analysts like Schiff and Puplava who identified the tech and housing bubbles in their early stages, avoided them entirely, and are saying that oil ISN'T a bubble. They've been right, and people like LK and the OP of this thread have been wrong. For YEARS. And LKs long diatribe doesn't really answer anything. The dollar has seen a 50% drop in the last eight years, not 5%. And people are still buying and burning at these prices regardless of who is contractually locking in. It's called a bull market, not a bubble.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Aimster
oil is not going to drop

+

oil is never going to drop below $100/barrel again.

dollar is weak while demand keeps catching up. When the dollar finally stabilized the problem will then be supply/demand.

+ this sig

----------------------------------------------

I win

= Epic LULZ

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
oil is not going to drop

+

oil is never going to drop below $100/barrel again.

dollar is weak while demand keeps catching up. When the dollar finally stabilized the problem will then be supply/demand.

+ this sig

----------------------------------------------

I win

= Epic LULZ

Excellent!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
haha, just thought I'd revive this for one last hurrah

mozirry is jesus
Close. He was a few weeks early on the call, but otherwise pretty damn close.

It's fun getting to partake in the pwnage, though :)

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
we may not know the bottom but we do know that global demand will continue to increase and oil will rebound back to $100+ with time. PBR and XOM are both trading at a single digit PE ratio. the O&G industry is not going anywhere and buying on big dips is a great long term strategy.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Sound just like that dumbass Cramer telling everyone to sell when the market is almost at it's bottom. Just wish I had tons of money right now to pour into the market.

mozirry

Sep 18, 2006
Originally posted by: conehead433
Sound just like that dumbass Cramer telling everyone to sell when the market is almost at it's bottom. Just wish I had tons of money right now to pour into the market.

I to be honest can't wait until we hit bottom. Once we get to that sweet spot where it's almost ridiculous how many shares you can buy, we can get some confidence back.

That is unless you are almost at retirement age =)

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
In order for someone to get credit for a prediction, one should not only predict the result but also explain the reason behind the prediction. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

That said, how much did you make off this mozirry?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Corbett
Excellent!

Bah, picking on Aimster is like shooting fish in a $65 barrel of oil.

LOL! It wouldn't be so much fun if he didn't act like a complete know-it-all tool all the time!

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

You should take a look at the date on the OP, and see what the price of oil was at that time.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
oil is not going to drop

Want to put a friendly wager on that?

I bet you a million bucks. Oil is going to drop. National city just got swallowed up stocks and dollar is gonna fall through the floor.

Anyone thinks that is is over is a bit foolish. I bet bush is biting at the bit to sting up another 'stimulus package' as I type this.

Oil fallows the dollar. Goes up oil goes up, goes down, oil goes down and it will go down. I predict oil will stable out at 1.80 - 1.50 a gallon.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: JD50

You should take a look at the date on the OP, and see what the price of oil was at that time.
Yeah he was literally a mere three weeks early. I was pretty sure oil was going to bust, but I wasn't sure when. Over the many months it had been ballistically insane, I'd say that three weeks early is extremely close to calling it. The top was 147 but only for a very short period of time. To have sold at 130 or more was pretty close to perfect.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
oil is not going to drop

I bet you a million bucks. Oil is going to drop. National city just got swallowed up stocks and dollar is gonna fall through the floor.

Anyone thinks that is is over is a bit foolish. I bet bush is biting at the bit to sting up another 'stimulus package' as I type this.

Oil fallows the dollar. Goes up oil goes up, goes down, oil goes down and it will go down. I predict oil will stable out at 1.80 - 1.50 a gallon.

This is an old thread, looks like some of you haven't noticed that. Also, who buys oil by the gallon?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ericlp
oil is not going to drop

Wow, with profound and eloquent text such as "fallow", how can we but "fallow" your prognostications?

Dollar "fall through the floor"? What's your rationale there?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: BansheeX

I'm your huckleberry. Oil is heading back down, big time. There is no bull market, only bullshit market for fuckwits who have no idea how the financial system has worked in the last year.

Great, you can't find gold. Big fucking deal. Nobody gives a shit about gold except for wannabe King Midases and jewelery lovers.

I have bookmarked this thread and will resurrect it when oil collapses back down to $70 as you guys say. Because at this point, you aren't just arguing with "conspiracy theorists" anymore, you're arguing against analysts like Schiff and Puplava who identified the tech and housing bubbles in their early stages, avoided them entirely, and are saying that oil ISN'T a bubble. They've been right, and people like LK and the OP of this thread have been wrong. For YEARS. And LKs long diatribe doesn't really answer anything. The dollar has seen a 50% drop in the last eight years, not 5%. And people are still buying and burning at these prices regardless of who is contractually locking in. It's called a bull market, not a bubble.

Paging Banshee. Your dollar gaining 20%, oil dropping below 65, and gold back down to below 750 is wanted in the psycho ward.