Self-Defense gun kills 3 year old boy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: rchiu
Originally posted by: Vic
Heh, you pro-gun people having fun with your parody using a mother who just had her eight year old killing her three year old? How typical of you with your disregard and disrespectful of human life.

How dare you you pro-automobile types allow the daily carnage of children on the streets. How typical of you with your disregard and disrespectful of human life.

edit:
Naa, just people with little class.....
There is no class in being a stupid, fearful authoritarian puppet moron.

Show me an eight year old drove and kill a three year old with a car and I will agree with your statement.

Why the qualifier? Are you saying that no 3 year-olds are ever killed in car crashes? Or that the deaths of 3 year-olds only matter when another child causes it? OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: smack Down
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
As much as you would like to make it about gun laws, its not. It's responsible parenting at fault.

What purpose could this woman possibly have for owning a pump action assault style automatic shotgun?

What right do you have to tell her she can't have one? She's stupid for not getting a gun lock and putting it away where they couldn't use it. Stupid people make stupid decisions every day, including drunk driving, and driving on the cell phone. Should we remove all possibility of those two also?

The same right we have to limit or prevent (or at least make illegal) to cook meth in her basement, store hazardous material over the stove, and pick up her dogs crap. All put other people at risk.

Or drive a car. Or own your own household cleaning supplies. Or mow your own lawn. Or have a dog. Better let the government take care of all that for you.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Nebor, this would have been fun if it didn't prove one thing, gun rights morons are just that, morons.

Anyone who has posted in this forum in a year or so knows your stance yet these fucked up people are arguing against a stance that you agree with them on in reality.

'twas funny though, i'll give you that. :D

All the pro gun guys are saying is that they are comfortable with the collateral results of gun ownership.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
This thread means nothing. Stuff happens all the time, people stab others, people fall of roofs, people sometimes even eat each other for fun in Germany.

Doesn't mean we ban all knives, rooftops and stovetops. Accidents happen, you only make an issue of it if it fits whatever party politics you are pumping up.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Heh, you pro-gun people having fun with your parody using a mother who just had her eight year old killing her three year old? How typical of you with your disregard and disrespectful of human life.

How dare you you pro-automobile types allow the daily carnage of children on the streets. How typical of you with your disregard and disrespectful of human life.

edit:
Naa, just people with little class.....
There is no class in being a stupid, fearful authoritarian puppet moron.

Show me an eight year old drove and kill a three year old with a car and I will agree with your statement.

Why the qualifier? Are you saying that no 3 year-olds are ever killed in car crashes? Or that the deaths of 3 year-olds only matter when another child causes it? OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Why not? The story is about an 8 year old able to access a gun and able to use it to kill his brother. It shows how easily accessible it is and how easily it is to use it to kill, even if it's unintentional. By comparison, there are much more things built in in cars, from the licensing, to the policing for driving under the influence to build in mechanic to prevent children from using it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Screw you.

The loss of an innocent child's life is a very sad and tragic thing. However, I find it just as sad and tragic when a child drowns in the family swimming pool which happens much more than children accidentally dying from guns.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BurningDog
As much as you would like to make it about gun laws, its not. It's responsible parenting at fault.

What purpose could this woman possibly have for owning a pump action assault style automatic shotgun?

Wow, think you could have loaded that up with any more scary adjectives? How can something be pump action and automatic? The type of weapon had nothing to do with it. If it was a single shot crack barrel shotgun, the outcome would be the same.

The article mentions what her purpose was.

Common sense parenting is what's needed. Kids and guns don't mix.

Jesus motherfucking christ, not only didn't he argue for gun restrictions but YOU had to take his parody one step further and ACTUALLY MEAN IT.

That makes you kinda extra stupid, doesn't it?

Personally, a guy like you with a gun would make me wish i had a fucking tank to keep my kids in when we're in the US.

I'm waiting for the ban on 5 gallon buckets filled with water to be banned in the UK.

"Bucket filled with water kills toddler."

The sharp stick & rock ban is next...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Nebor, this would have been fun if it didn't prove one thing, gun rights morons are just that, morons.

Anyone who has posted in this forum in a year or so knows your stance yet these fucked up people are arguing against a stance that you agree with them on in reality.

All the pro gun guys are saying is that they are comfortable with the collateral results of gun ownership.

Right. Because my hundred or so firearms have killed somewhere around 5,000 kids in my lifetime. :roll:

This was the case of a bad parent leaving a dangerous object out around children. No different than leaving a knife out, or a fork next to an electrical socket.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Try again.

Thats like saying all pro car people are comfortable with the collateral results of car ownership. Is it somehow less tragic or sad when a drunk driver kills a child? Do we blame the car or do we blame the irresponsible person? Do we blame the swimming pool when a child accidentally drowns (of which more children die because of swimming pools than gun accidents) or do we blame the parent for not taking proper precautions?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Just for clarification, typically a shotgun labled "assault" is roughly termed as sawed off, or short barrel. Anything less than an 18" barrel is considered illegal, although most modern shotguns have a receiving cycinder that would make it impossible to have under an 18" barrel.

The reason a sawed off, or short barrel, is preffered for home defense is its easier to manuever inside the home in hallways and confined areas than a 26" barrel gun.

Anyway.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Classic DemoCrook post. The government and tax payers should raise peoples children, not parents.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Sad story but it has no place in a gun rights argument. This is just as bad as highlighting stories of illegal immigrants committing crimes or CCL-holders saving the day. If you want to argue about the issues I'd be happy to, but not in the context of a single incident.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
She kept it under the couch!?! Loaded!?! <shakes head>

This is why I have/prefer a handgun that is easily hidden for self defense in the home. My kids never even knew I had it.... and still don't for that matter.

I take the opposite approach. I have taught my daughter about guns. I show her my guns. I teach her what can happen if she plays/picks up a gun. I teach her to respect them and to leave them alone. When she is old enough I am going to bring her to the range. I figure that teaching her the dangers is much better than her finding a gun and not knowing how dangerous it is.

Kind of funny story. Her cousin came over to play a few months ago and he brought a backpack of toys with him. He dumped them out on the floor in her playroom to get something or another while they where playing. He had a toy gun that didn't look very real but I guess since the only toy guns she has ever played with were the goofy looking nerf guns she thought it was real. She grabbed her cousin and ran into the living room and told me there was a gun on the floor. Just like I taught her to.

Granted, I don't go leaving shotguns under the couch or anywhere within her reach but I want her to know exactly what to do if she does come across a weapon.

Teaching the kid about guns is irrelevant IMO. When I was a kid I did a lot of things my parents told me not to, like stick a key in an electrical socket. BOYS WILL BE BOYS. That is why you put the gun in a place the child cannot get it, not a place where the child has to be responsible enough not to take it and shoot someone.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Throckmorton

This is why I have/prefer a handgun that is easily hidden for self defense in the home. My kids never even knew I had it.... and still don't for that matter.

I take the opposite approach. I have taught my daughter about guns. I show her my guns. I teach her what can happen if she plays/picks up a gun. I teach her to respect them and to leave them alone. When she is old enough I am going to bring her to the range. I figure that teaching her the dangers is much better than her finding a gun and not knowing how dangerous it is.

Kind of funny story. Her cousin came over to play a few months ago and he brought a backpack of toys with him. He dumped them out on the floor in her playroom to get something or another while they where playing. He had a toy gun that didn't look very real but I guess since the only toy guns she has ever played with were the goofy looking nerf guns she thought it was real. She grabbed her cousin and ran into the living room and told me there was a gun on the floor. Just like I taught her to.

Granted, I don't go leaving shotguns under the couch or anywhere within her reach but I want her to know exactly what to do if she does come across a weapon.

Teaching the kid about guns is irrelevant IMO. When I was a kid I did a lot of things my parents told me not to, like stick a key in an electrical socket. BOYS WILL BE BOYS. That is why you put the gun in a place the child cannot get it, not a place where the child has to be responsible enough not to take it and shoot someone.

So should they put lock boxes on the electric outlets too?

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Very sad. When can we get some common sense gun control in this country? How many children have to die?

Well, according to recent numbers, about 200 children are involved in unintentional fatal gun accidents each year. You can all me heartless, cruel, or anything else you want, but it is hardly worth banning firearms for such a low number of incidents. Although I don't feel like pulling up the numbers right now, I'm confident that number is far lower than the fatalities associated with most common activities involving children (drownings, car accidents, etc.).

A single incident means nothing, no matter how any of you pro-gun control types would like to spin it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Oh I see. So teaching my child anything about safety (gun or not) is completely irrelevant? Man have I been going in the wrong direction. I probably shouldn't waste my time teaching her not to talk to or go with strangers either.

For the record, I keep all of my guns either on my person, in my large gun safe or in my quick open pistol safe next to my bed.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Well, she has a right to own one, and she has to live (and 3 year old not live) with the consequences of that decision.
At least her kid didn't kill someone else's child.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

We're saying you don't have the authority to say otherwise.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

We're saying you don't have the authority to say otherwise.

Moral or otherwise.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Oh I see. So teaching my child anything about safety (gun or not) is completely irrelevant? Man have I been going in the wrong direction. I probably shouldn't waste my time teaching her not to talk to or go with strangers either.

For the record, I keep all of my guns either on my person, in my large gun safe or in my quick open pistol safe next to my bed.

I'm not saying you shouldn't teach her. I'm saying you'd be stupid to teach her and then leave the gun under the couch and expect her to do the right thing.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

I don't understand what you are saying. Should parents keep their guns within reach of children because electrical outlets are within reach of children?

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007

I don't understand what you are saying. Should parents keep their guns within reach of children because electrical outlets are within reach of children?

He's saying that parents should teach them about safety. I don't see how you are having a problem with that concept.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: bbdub333

He's saying that parents should teach them about safety. I don't see how you are having a problem with that concept.

I don't see how you are having such a problem reading my posts. I'm saying that teaching them that guns are dangerous is not enough. You teach your kids not to drink bleach, but do you give them cups of bleach to see if they drink it or not?

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I don't see how you are having such a problem reading my posts. I'm saying that teaching them that guns are dangerous is not enough. You teach your kids not to drink bleach, but do you give them cups of bleach to see if they drink it or not?

Nope, it's located in a high cabinet, right next to my guns.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005

Did you not read the article? According to the woman, someone was stalking her. Accidents happen, and parents are NOT perfect.