[Self-Built] 780ti preventing video output?

Zephiran

Nov 14, 2012
Build:

i7-4790k
ASUS Z97-Pro AC
2x Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB
Cooler Master Seidon 240M
Cooler Master V700 PSU
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
250 GB Samsung Evo SSD
1TB WD Black HDD
Pioneer BDR
Windows 7 Ultimate

When the graphics card is connected: I can’t get video output from ANY source (onboard VGA/dual-link DVI-D/HDMI or GPU’s dual-link DVI-D/HDMI). From the moment the computer boots, there is nothing onscreen. There is still a video output depending on the source, but the screen is just empty. I can tell Win7 has still loaded from the sound it makes though.

When the graphics card isn’t connected: Video will only output via VGA, with no/blank output from HDMI/DVI. On my first try, disabling and reenabling the Intel graphics driver for the integrated graphics allowed for video output through HDMI, but that only happened once. Apparently there’s an obscure issue with DVI and recent Intel integrated graphics. I’m not sure if there’s also an incompatibility between the motherboard and graphics card, but given how new they both are I wouldn’t assume that to be the issue.

Steps I’ve taken to address the issue: Checked proper mounting of GPU in PCIe & PSU connections. Tested each of the aforementioned video outputs on a couple of monitors that supported each input. Tried to disable safe boot in the UEFI bios but I think Windows 7 prevents me from doing so (safe boot is enabled by default). Uninstalled the intel graphics drivers so there wouldn’t be a conflict. Changed boot settings from UEFI to legacy where I could. Tried to force use of PCIe for graphics rather than onboard, but this always seems to be reverted to “Automatic” every time I check the BIOS again. Manually updated the BIOS to the most recent version.

TL;DR: Video outputs aren’t working properly, minus VGA w/out GPU. Installing the graphics card will give me no video output. Issue is very similar to http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...new-gtx-780-ti-no-video-signal-need-help.html

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Have you tried your video card in a dif slot? Is this a fresh windows installation? Have you tried hitting F8 and selecting "Safe mode" before Windows boots?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If you already mentioned this I apologize, but have you gone through the input settings on the monitor to make sure it matches the cable you are using?

On my board (old, I know) the graphics will be sent to video card, weather or not I have the onboard video on or off, and weather I have have the onboard video or the video card the fixst to be detected.

If the monitor is set correctly, and you have no suspicions of a bad cable, try the other pci-express slots.

Zephiran

Nov 14, 2012
Have you tried your video card in a dif slot? Is this a fresh windows installation? Have you tried hitting F8 and selecting "Safe mode" before Windows boots?

I've tried the GPU in 2 PCIe lanes with no success (no video output at all from the computer). The 3rd I can't use due to the size of the GPU and obstructions from the motherboard.

The problem is I can't access safe mode when I need to (while the GPU is plugged in) because I don't have any video output to go off of. Not even BIOS or the screen before that. I'm not sure if it's because of the UEFI BIOS/running Windows 7 but I don't seem to have a way to select the booting method even after mashing all the function keys. The only way I've been able to access safe mode is after a bad power off, and I'd only be able to tell if I didn't have the GPU plugged in.

If you already mentioned this I apologize, but have you gone through the input settings on the monitor to make sure it matches the cable you are using?

On my board (old, I know) the graphics will be sent to video card, weather or not I have the onboard video on or off, and weather I have have the onboard video or the video card the fixst to be detected.

If the monitor is set correctly, and you have no suspicions of a bad cable, try the other pci-express slots.

Yes. The monitor accepts DVI-D/VGA. I've also tested with a TV that has HDMI. In each instance, I've tried an output from the motherboard/GPU to each respective input port. Then, I cycle through inputs on the monitor/leave the input as is on the TV. Even when I manually switch back and forth to the correct input, there's still no display. The HDMI I've tested with other devices, but the DVI-D I don't have a way to test. Please see my above statements about the other PCIe slots.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Bear with me, as I want to make sure I have this: so, you see the screen fine until it starts loading Windows, then goes blank?

Zephiran

Nov 14, 2012
Bear with me, as I want to make sure I have this: so, you see the screen fine until it starts loading Windows, then goes blank?

It depends on what the current video setup is at the time. I'll try to be as clear as possible.

WITHOUT discrete GPU connected:

VGA (onboard) to monitor - Video is good from boot. Resolution is capped at 1080p though (might be due to limitations of Intel HD 4600).

HDMI (onboard) to TV - Has only worked twice, after using VGA to boot. I then disabled/reenabled the graphics driver which temporarily allowed video out through the onboard HDMI out. However, this method of messing with the driver doesn't consistently work. Most of the time, I'll still end up with a black screen.

DVI-D (onboard) to monitor - Doesn't work period. Not even the BIOS show up.

onboard DVI/HDMI won't show anything regularly, not even the pre-BIOS boot screen and definitely not BIOS.

WITH discrete GPU connected:

Nothing shows up from any input. Whether on motherboard or GPU. This includes HDMI/DVI-D/VGA (onboard) and HDMI/DVI-D (GPU)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Got it. Now, was this a problem since setup (did you use the Nvidia card when installing Windows 7)?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
It should display video thru any/all connectors.. RMA the board.

Last edited:

Zephiran

Nov 14, 2012
Got it. Now, was this a problem since setup (did you use the Nvidia card when installing Windows 7)?

I initially tried installing Windows 7 with the GPU connected. However I never got any video at all. This leads me to believe that if there's a software issue, it'd be between the GPU/BIOS, not the drivers at the OS level. It wasn't until I removed the GPU that I could see what I was doing (even through VGA).

It should display video thru any/all connectors.. RMA the board.

Any chance it could be a compatibility issue rather than the GPU itself?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Compatibility? The board should output video at every connector. It doesn't. RMA

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I initially tried installing Windows 7 with the GPU connected. However I never got any video at all. This leads me to believe that if there's a software issue, it'd be between the GPU/BIOS, not the drivers at the OS level. It wasn't until I removed the GPU that I could see what I was doing (even through VGA).
Any chance it could be a compatibility issue rather than the GPU itself?

This board is way too picky at the very least. If clearing the CMOS doesn't help with this that would rule out picky, and I would try getting a replacement board. Usually when you run into compatibility issues like this, the board won't boot at all.