Segway's made the 5 year old in me come out

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
When I was 5 I loved the peddle truck thing my mom had got me, there wasn't much technology back in the late 70's and early 80's, and if anything existed before Power Wheels my mom coldn't have even afforded it. Segway has a pretty sweet Go Kart that I'd love to buy, but it's way too expensive seeing how it lacks any practicality. My favorite feature's probably a Bluetooth speaker that comes with it which has 4 gimmicky but somewhat realistic engine sounds that rev up and down when you accelerate.

5-10 year old me would have DIED to have something like this. I learned today the speaker works with their scooters too. A scooter's at least something you can actually use to get around to get shit done. So since I can use it to go to the store and stuff it wasn't as bad as me buying a Go Kart lol. Segway made the engine sounds some sort of proprietary shit where it only works with their speaker, figures. I'm sure the audio quality for music won't be anywhere close to a JBL Flip which is the same price. But 1979 me couldn't resist ordering one. I just turned 47 a couple days ago and in a few weeks I'll be riding around my neighborhood with a speaker blasting simulating a v12. Silly, ultimately pointless and I'm too old for this shit, but the kid in me approves.

Here's a video of it how it sounds in action.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Certainly a safer "midlife-crisis splurge" then say an insanely fast sport-bike (this was mine) or a super-car!

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Certainly a safer "midlife-crisis splurge" then say an insanely fast sport-bike (this was mine) or a super-car!

;)

if I could have afforded something dangerous I would have went bigger, not a motorcycle though because I surely would kill myself, or at best end up paralyzed in a wheelchair.

I think the revving engine sounds are a nice touch lol.....have fun cuz yolo.

I learned today that on Android you can pair 2 BT speakers simultaneously. HUMMM I wonder how loud dual engine speakers would be. I could annoy neighbors like Harley riders do early on weekend mornings with their revving for no reason. Only I'd be on Hipster'ish Segway Scooter which is a lot less cool.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
if I could have afforded something dangerous I would have went bigger, not a motorcycle though because I surely would kill myself, or at best end up paralyzed in a wheelchair.

I learned today that on Android you can pair 2 BT speakers simultaneously. HUMMM I wonder how loud dual engine speakers would be. I could annoy neighbors like Harley riders do early on weekend mornings with their revving for no reason. Only I'd be on Hipster'ish Segway Scooter which is a lot less cool.

careful there, on a harley you look "tough" and can probably get away. The segway, some angry karen might be able to catch you :D

Reactions: QueBert

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
careful there, on a harley you look "tough" and can probably get away. The segway, some angry karen might be able to catch you :D

I wouldn't look tough on a Harley, I'd look like a fool. It's pretty damn tough for a pasty out of shape middle aged Ginger to look "tough" I suppose I could find a Segway scooter "gang" to join. And we would be one of the least threatening looking group of guys ever I'm sure. Hell's Angels & Mongrel members can look scary even when they're not on the Harley. I've never seen a scary looking guy on a scooter though lol.

• Haha

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lol that's great. I sometimes toy with the idea of getting a scooter or ebike or other similar mode of transportation. Would be nice to go to work with instead of taking the truck. Save on gas and be better for the environment. I'd want something with bigger tires though so I can use it year round.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Lol that's great. I sometimes toy with the idea of getting a scooter or ebike or other similar mode of transportation. Would be nice to go to work with instead of taking the truck. Save on gas and be better for the environment. I'd want something with bigger tires though so I can use it year round.

Like a fat bike, the fat wheels want harder packed snow tho, and you may freeze to death instead 😋

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I thought stuff like this seemed silly. A handful of years ago I picked up a remote control truck on sale that came with the optional sounds. When I took it out to my sisters place to let my nephew learn how to drive an RC we fired it up. I went from hating the idea to smiling from ear to ear like a kid.

Here is a video of the truck I'm talking about.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

175-250cc 4 stroke liquid cooled dirt bike ... with spiked knobby-tires for winter!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I thought stuff like this seemed silly. A handful of years ago I picked up a remote control truck on sale that came with the optional sounds. When I took it out to my sisters place to let my nephew learn how to drive an RC we fired it up. I went from hating the idea to smiling from ear to ear like a kid.

Here is a video of the truck I'm talking about.

NICE, as a kid I would have loved RC cars even more than I already did with that! Females could care less so they don't understand why a grown man would get excited over something like this. My lady was questioning why I needed to buy a speaker that makes engine sounds. I told her it's a Bluetooth speaker so I can take calls from her when I'm riding to the store to get stuff to cook us dinner. She liked that answer however, she's not on board with me ordering 2 of them so I can have "dual exhaust"

So on a whim, I downloaded the manual for the speaker and read it only to discover it has no microphone. Idiot me assumed since the 6 BT speakers I've owned all had microphones for calls that this one would too.lol NOPE... So now I have to figure out a way to be able to answer calls when I'm riding or she's going to bitch about it. I mean I guess I could tell her I was wrong about it having a mic, but then I won't hear the end of it :(

Reactions: balloonshark

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Like a fat bike, the fat wheels want harder packed snow tho, and you may freeze to death instead 😋

Yeah fat bike is probably what I would lean towards. And yeah maybe on the -30 days I would decide to take the truck anyway, then again I need to freeze my ass off while I take snow off of it, defrost it etc. The time it takes me to do that I could just get on the fat bike and go straight ot work.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I wouldn't look tough on a Harley, I'd look like a fool. It's pretty damn tough for a pasty out of shape middle aged Ginger to look "tough" I suppose I could find a Segway scooter "gang" to join. And we would be one of the least threatening looking group of guys ever I'm sure. Hell's Angels & Mongrel members can look scary even when they're not on the Harley. I've never seen a scary looking guy on a scooter though lol.

Wait, you are related to Red Squirrel? Explains alot.

• Haha
Reactions: nakedfrog

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah fat bike is probably what I would lean towards. And yeah maybe on the -30 days I would decide to take the truck anyway, then again I need to freeze my ass off while I take snow off of it, defrost it etc. The time it takes me to do that I could just get on the fat bike and go straight ot work.

Your fat bike is snow proof and frost proof?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Your fat bike is snow proof and frost proof?

I'd be able to store it inside. Well, I would have to or it would get stolen. But even then there's no windshield to have to defrost or scrape down so even if I were to store it outside it would be quicker.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

We need to start a ginger bike gang! Sons of SPF100 Motorcycle Club.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Hummm I just won the speaker on an Ebay auction. Going back over the specs WTH. 2'ish hours battery life with a 2 1/2h charge time.
We need to start a ginger bike gang! Sons of SPF100 Motorcycle Club.

Good idea, but in my town we have a bunch of Mongrel members. If you don't know they're a biker gang like the Hells Angels. The following's a true story, I use to work at a store that had a Mexican restaurant in it. There was a local Harley club, they would come and eat and have a beer or 2. Super nice guys, well for no reason that makes any sense to me the Mongrels punked them and forced them to take their title badges off their jackets and replace them with derogatory ones. I don't remember exactly what, but it was something along the lines of little bitches or something. I heard they threatened that if they saw any of them in public without their club jackets on it was gonna end bad. These guys always wore their jackets before this. They'd still come in to eat and drink and I felt really bad for them lol. I think they had to wear them for a month.

I don't think I could handle the Mongrels punking me like that lol. Since you're a fellow ginger, and on ATOT, no offense but I'm going to assume you're not gonna be capable of fighting back against the Mongrels.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Sounds like a rough gang. I doubt anyone would be able to take on people like that on their own as it's usually 1 vs many. Well maybe Chuck Norris.

The Hell's Angels were actually in my city once, it was fairly uneventful mind you but it was kind of crazy seeing them here. Not something we see every day. We do have a biker club here now called the Warriors but they're actually very good guys. They do fund raising and stuff like that.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
And if the Mongrels fucked with us maybe we could recruit Fourchan to take them on. I know the people on there are known to like to mess with people.

SPF100 gang ride out! I bought a helmet that kind of reminds of something a hispter would wear, and I don't care much for those fellas. But it would fit well for a gang that doesn't actually do gang shit. We could be a less threatening Hells Angel. But still do some shit, like ride places that have "no scooters, bikes or skateboard" signs posted. Even stock my Scooter should be able to easily outrun a security guard in a golf cart.

I'm also going to hack my scooter's firmware, install a 48v battery mod, upgrade the motor and add suspension. Gangs can't be rolling around on lame ass stock rides. Here's a pic of the helmet, I'm pretty sure this mixed with my red beard and pasty skin could actually make me intimidating to someone, somewhere. Seriously though this is a pretty slick looking helmet imho, the 60's GT racing-inspired stripes are pretty legit. Nothing screams FAST like a scooter that can do 18.5mph. Shit, maybe 30 when I'm done hacking it.

retro_bike_helmet_003_600x_9b805741-7e85-43d9-a939-cd84522b2732_1800x1800.jpg

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
SHEIEIEIEIT I was bored so I Googled e-scooter laws in Cali, I just figured with how everything else in the state is a helmet would be mandatory. Only for people under the age of 18. Apparently, the state think's it's unreasonable to expect a person to be able to carry one at all times. I suppose if I'm riding in the bike lane and a driver on a cell phone not paying attention going 45 runs me over my GT-inspired bicycle helmet probably won't save my life

And 15mph speed limit hummm my scooter goes 18.5, after I do a simple hack 21'ish. I need to look up how much the ticket is because I'm going to be speeding everywhere as soon as I hop on it. I wonder how strictly they enforce that, 21's 40% over the speed limit. Going 40% over the speed limit in a car you're fucked for sure if you get pulled over. I guess I might fight out. Tho if I got in trouble for going 40% over the posted speed it would add some street credibility to the Ginger biker gang I hopefully will get started. Doing 21 in a 15 zone would definitely level up my bad-ass-ness.

And oddly, you need to have a valid driver's license. No insurance is needed, but this is Cali so I suspect that will change and soon you'll need some expensive $300 a month special policy lol.

Researching all this shit before I ordered the scooter never even crossed my mind lol.