Seems no manufacturer can get a motherboard right!

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Why is it not a single mainboard manufacturer can make a board that actually works like it's supposed to and lasts? Every board released for sale has an issue somewhere! From screwed-up BIOS's to bad capacitors, they all have issues. There's no such thing as a perfect motherboard.

Would you be willing to pay more for ultra-high quality in a motherboard? Like using super high-quality, aerospace grade capacitors? How about a rigorous validation of the BIOS features and functions? Perhaps "beta" testing motherboards before they are released to the public to iron out the bugs. How about a BIOS that actually dumps all the worthless legacy crap from 1980 and is actually well documented on what each setting does?

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I would, but that day is probably never coming. Chipsets change so quickly that the manufacturers don't have time to do this.

WicKeD

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2000
Ill chime in :)

My last 4 motherboard's have been Intel. I do not over clock and prefer the stability, so I choose them.

I do have the new 975x by Intel and they say it's the board for gamers. Well give us a "real gamer" board then. I enjoy everything about this board except for the onboard sound. It does not support Open AL and the mic output is low.

I wish they would go back to the motherboard option sof the 875PBZ and offer the board without on-board sound. Yes, I can disable the on-board sound, but I want a Intel board that does not have it at all...... Im just picky I guess :)

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Exactly..
everything from USB issues, to data corruption, bios hang ups.. nothing is perfect.. or even close..

The closest thing to stability that I've ever owned has been from an Intel board.. now.. of course, you dont' get many bios options.. but who cares.. I prefer stability over "tweakability"

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
go thad! lol anyway yeah i agree i MIGHT be willing to spend extra on a board proven to have no errors. getting a computer is something that is a win lose situation. it either arrives doa or not. than when you plug it in, it either works or it doesnt. everytime i turn my computer on...i pray it turns on haha

chocoruacal

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2002
So let me get this straight: motherboard makers are supposed to design a board that is 100% issue free, taking into account the millions of variables that exist with the current CPU, RAM, hard drive, optical drive, USB devices, etc. options that currently exist, and will be introduced within the life of the board?

Good luck with that :)

I've used plenty of boards that have been 100% bonified stable. No problem there. As a system builder, I expect that I'll have to work around incompatibilities and quirks as they present themselves.

openwheelformula1

Sep 2, 2005
motherboard maker are doing a fine job imo. It's the user errors that make them look bad. My last 6 motherboards has been flawless in terms of reliability. Three Asus, two Abit and one MSI. Sure they could've included better onboard sound, sure they could've included better chipset fans, and sure they could've included a lot more. I wouldn't mind if they lower the price either. However they need to make a profit as well. If you don't OC well don't blame the manufacturers, any OC is just a bonus.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: chocoruacal
So let me get this straight: motherboard makers are supposed to design a board that is 100% issue free, taking into account the millions of variables that exist with the current CPU, RAM, hard drive, optical drive, USB devices, etc. options that currently exist, and will be introduced within the life of the board?

Good luck with that :)

I've used plenty of boards that have been 100% bonified stable. No problem there. As a system builder, I expect that I'll have to work around incompatibilities and quirks as they present themselves.

Intel can do it.. why can't anyone else! :)

Mar 19, 2003
I don't really see the problem. My last three motherboards, none of which were ultra-high-end (the NF7-S 2.0 probably being the closest), never gave me any problems at all. I'm not sure exactly what problems you're having, but as far as I'm concerned, things like capacitor and BIOS problems seem to be either isolated (in the case of something like bad caps) or quickly fixed (in the case of BIOS issues).

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
Abit boards are meant to be quite good (AN8 and now K8N SLI) and I haven't heard anything bad about them. That said maybe they haven't been popular enough to hear anything about...?