Seems Like Young People are Less Likely to Believe in an Afterlife?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Do you guys agree? Less young people believe in God and the afterlife. Maybe it has to do with the internet? It's easier to look up differing viewpoints. In my case, I've traveled and lived in SE Asia. Buddhism prevails there. I think when you travel, your views start to shift and you start questioning everything. You start to realize that parental/social conditioning plays a HUGE role on whether or not you believe that God exist.

What do you guys think?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
God has been dead for over a century now in the developed world. The replacement we rely on is the sacred. The whole point of a god I always thought was the afterlife, that men are most afraid of death and invented god and the afterlife to alleviate the concern . With no god, there can be no afterlife.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
God has been dead for over a century now in the developed world. The replacement we rely on is the sacred. The whole point of a god I always thought was the afterlife, that men are most afraid of death and invented god and the afterlife to alleviate the concern . With no god, there can be no afterlife.
I wouldn't be too sure about the last. Of course I don't believe in either one, but.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Do you guys agree? Less young people believe in God and the afterlife. Maybe it has to do with the internet? It's easier to look up differing viewpoints. In my case, I've traveled and lived in SE Asia. Buddhism prevails there. I think when you travel, your views start to shift and you start questioning everything. You start to realize that parental/social conditioning plays a HUGE role on whether or not you believe that God exist.

What do you guys think?

400 Years ago, if someone asked you if you believe in god you said yes because you didn't want to get murdered.
100 Years ago, if someone asked you if you believe in god you said yes because you didn't want to be ostracized by your community.
50 Years ago, if someone asked you if you believe in god you said because yes you didn't want to be called a communist
25 Years ago, if someone asked you if you believe in god you said because yes because its an easy way to end the conversation with some religious nut who won't let you read your book on the train.

Nowadays, in a modern stable society where a lot of us have the privilege living in, we have the benefit of legal systems that protect us from the historical nonsense that phycho religious nuts in places where religious institutions held sway tried to impose on people who decided to not get caught up in the whole "god" stuff.

Also, you need to accept that usage of the term god in various phrases is part of the vernacular in most societies.
You don't need to believe in "God" to say "OMG...thats the dumbest thing I ever read".
You don't have to believe in god to be part of a Church which may be simply a critical party of the community.
You also need to understand that being Religious does not mean "believing in god". It just means you follow the traditions. An theist can go through all the motions and attend Temple\Church\Mosque.

What I'm getting at is this.

The data you are using to arrive at " Less young people believe in God and the afterlife" may be bullshit.

Finally....I don't give a crap who believes in god as long as they keep their beliefs out of the legal framework that governs our society.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005

That's about right. If you trace the evolution of gods there was generally a god for whatever mankind was afraid of or didn't understand. Which was most things. So mankind invented a god of fertility, and one of weather and another for war and another for the afterlife, etc. Eventually, we learned and didn't need all those gods. Weather was patterns, crops failed or succeeded based on weather, science figured out fertility and we didn't need gods for those things anymore. Now the believers mostly cling to one god for one reason and that's the afterlife. Most people who identify as religious don't even truly believe in the god they claim to. They're just desperately holding on to Pascal's Wager. God has failed in everything else, but there's no harm in pretending to believe that he can provide an afterlife.

Religion tends to decrease in "enlightened" society. And I shudder to use that word for present day America, but it fits in this context. As people get more educated there's less reason to believe in fairy tales. Religion has been dying out in the first world countries for a while now, so of course the millennials are the least likely to believe. And whatever generation follows them will believe even less and the generation that follows them will be less. It would be astounding if it worked any other way.

Last edited:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Yeah, as information is instantly available, newer generations are relying less on religion to explain the unknown. Gods have always been placeholders for "I don't know how that works." As we've progressed and understand how most things work, there isn't much room left for a God.

There is a scientific basis for an 'afterlife' however- quantum entanglement. If all of your particles have a quantum partner out there, is conceivable your "quantum brain" may still exist after death. It's a crazy idea but there is some basis in reality.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
A belief in an afterlife doesn't require a god. The belief could be that an afterlife is a natural part of living. Proving such a thing is the sticking point.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
A belief in an afterlife doesn't require a god .

Hmmmmmmmm, lets look !

Do Hindus believe in a "no god afterlife". They believe in reincarnation of the "soul", a belief which provides them conveniently with one of your non-god afterlifes.

But the cycle from the soul to the body, back and forth, endlessly, really needs its own god to sort out the mess and it nowhere resembles an afterlife in any event.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Sort or related (but not really) interesting tidbit my wife shared with me.

At the end of WWII our known base of information was doubling every 25 years. Science, art, music, ect. It would take 25 years to double the overall "knowledge" of the world. Now it's every 12 months. Soon it's going to be recorded in hours. Between education and just a non-stop firehose of things to keep us occupied the new opiate of the masses is digital consumption. We just have other things to distract and worship.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011

What do you guys think?
Sorry to be a smart ass, wasn't everything you said obvious before?

Travel = opens your eyes, builds character
Parenting = of course that is biggest factor in your religious upbringing.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
At the end of WWII our known base of information was doubling every 25 years. Science, art, music, ect. It would take 25 years to double the overall "knowledge" of the world. Now it's every 12 months. Soon it's going to be recorded in hours. .

Hours ? I dunno.We can do better than that, surely.

Let me know when it gets to 1 second.

Hey, better yet, ask her whether it can get to a -1 second ?

Doubling the knowledge base before it exists !

Worth waiting for or just more consumption ?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Religion is the problem, it creates lot of divide, and some people just decide they don't want to believe in God at all. You don't need religion to be Christian, religion is just a distraction and these days it's a big one. Lot of conflict is caused by it.

Unfortunately for those who choose to not believe, the after life exists whether or not you want to, and the alternative to heaven is not pretty... The fact that it's for eternity is what makes it so horrible. Believe in God and that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and ask him in your heart and you shall be saved. You don't need religion. When Jesus was on the cross there were two thieves beside him. One of them asked Jesus to remember him when he gets to heaven and Jesus told him he will be with him in paradise. This man had sin all his life and was a bad person but was saved at that moment as he believed who Jesus was.

Nov 20, 2009
Come visit Gwinnet county, GA and I bet you will rethink your conclusions. Way too many fast growing ministries with very large properties, multi-campuses, and security on the level of secret service.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Religion is the problem, it creates lot of divide, and some people just decide they don't want to believe in God at all. You don't need religion to be Christian, religion is just a distraction and these days it's a big one. Lot of conflict is caused by it.

Unfortunately for those who choose to not believe, the after life exists whether or not you want to, and the alternative to heaven is not pretty... The fact that it's for eternity is what makes it so horrible. Believe in God and that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and ask him in your heart and you shall be saved. You don't need religion. When Jesus was on the cross there were two thieves beside him. One of them asked Jesus to remember him when he gets to heaven and Jesus told him he will be with him in paradise. This man had sin all his life and was a bad person but was saved at that moment as he believed who Jesus was.

Sorry, but that is Religion.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
But the cycle from the soul to the body, back and forth, endlessly, really needs its own god to sort out the mess and it nowhere resembles an afterlife in any event.

That doesn't require a God any more than our universe which has seemingly popped into existence from nothing.

Mar 11, 2004

What do you guys think?

From what I've gathered, yes that seems to be the case. Doubt it, although I'm sure its played a role. Certainly it is easier to find a lot more information. But as we're seeing with politics, it can cause things to go the opposite direction where people not knowing how to think for themselves and armed with just enough knowledge to be dangerous, reach the wrong conclusions about a wide variety of topics. Definitely travel would make you aware of a lot more views and ways of living. It definitely does, and that's exactly what it is. Its conditioning. That's always been the intent of it (its literally what they intended to set out and do is create a framework that they argued was better conditioning than others). And there have been times when that turned out to be a positive. Of course it was generally a positive in spite of itself and out of dumb luck more than that it actually knew what was going on, which we later found out. And yet, we have people still trying to teach the exact same stupid things from back then (and while some are obviously positive - don't murder, etc, plenty of the rest isn't - beating slaves, killing women and gay people, etc). The Bible desperately needs an update. And it desperately needs historic context (for instance, Armageddon likely already happened, not being a prophecy but rather was a hyperbolic account of a catastrophic battle that happened back then, and same with the Great Flood - it likely was crazy fairly localized event that got extrapolated into more than it was, deliberately so, to build a mythology that laid the foundation for the system that would be used to indoctrinate).

The higher educated a population becomes, the less religious a population becomes.

I'd somewhat disagree. There's lots of evidence of highly educated otherwise successful people buying religious horseshit, of all kinds (there were cults that were basically only made up of very educated and successful people, Order of the Solar Temple I think was basically only successful and educated persons, and there's been a bunch of others like Aum Shinrikyo that went out of their way to deliberately target educated persons). Education can indoctrinate you the same as anything else. No that's not John Connor's libertarian dumb shit philosophy, by that I mean, there's lots of people that learn things in the exact same way that indoctrination works. They never really learned to think for themselves, they just learned how to learn by the system. That actually works quite well (and there's positives from it) but there's definitely downsides.

Take for instance you seem to be at least somewhat educated. And yet you believe that the white supremacist dog whistling of the OK sign started with 4Chan because you learned to look at an image that showed 4Chan doing that. Unfortunately you didn't bother to look any beyond that, when certain people in the "alt-right" had been doing that for years. They weren't doing it as the made up "White Power" nonsense that 4Chan made the graphics trying to claim (which has been repeatedly told to you that this has never been about the typically lame childish 4Chan stupidity), as that was known for some time to be them making that part up, but sadly, as usual, 4Chan didn't create something, they just ripped it off and then tried to add shock value, but in this instance they really couldn't even do that, and rather they just helped white supremacists spread their messaging. The fact is, 4Chan still spread white supremacist rhetoric (and even did so intentionally). And then you wonder why no matter how you try to spin that situation, it still was absolutely about white supremacist ideology. You just chose to claim that it was somehow better because 4Chan's role in it was "for the lulz" while ignoring that actually perfectly aligns with actual white supremacists. I can't wait for you to try and claim the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery though. Considering your general lack of knowledge, lack of cognitive ability to rationally look at things, and willingness to become a frothing moron about every single subject you ever approach, should provide some next level comedy. I do enjoy your clown routine.

OK Symbol | Know Your Meme

If you look, basically the only thing you got right is that 4Chan intentionally spread that (but how they did of course you've been quite wrong about, and have ignored that so that you can keep believing it was "just trolling"). It started before 4Chan did it (in fact that's where they got the idea from, as I've told you, there are actual white supremacists that use 4Chan's gaggle of morons to spread their shit, but apparently somehow you can't seem to reason out that a group that knowingly spreads white supremacist shit for shock value might just be exploited by the actual white supremacists themselves). The media actually reported on it being "fake" (in the sense you seem stuck on discussing this) when the 4Chan link was made (which that turned out to be wrong in that, 4Chan didn't start it, so they turned out to be right in claiming that the right wingers flashing it were deliberately doing it as a white supremacist dog whistle, while idiots like you provided cover for them to claim they were just joking about the white supremacist shit, even after it was shown that they interact with such groups/people regularly). And, they kept reporting on how it was hard right people who just happen to keep getting linked to white supremacist groups that liked flashing it after that (effectively making it no longer fake in the sense you try to keep claiming, which again has repeatedly been shown to you while you just keep screaming about 4Chan). Kinda like how a lot of them have also done the Sig Heil salute. And then useful idiots like you decided you'd wade and an shit all over the place, providing cover for racists to make their shit more commonly accepted. Good job, you've been exactly the same type of idiots that help enable cults and other abhorrent groups to spread their shit messages and do harm to the world.

Unfortunately for you, no it doesn't at least in the sense you think it does. Who cares, you'd be dead, you'd have no consciousness to perceive your rotting corpse. My point being the alternative to heaven is reality. Its not pretty because you've chosen to live lie of make believe magic bullshit and then hold up everything to such nonsense and remark about how it doesn't match up (even though half the time its actually better than your alleged heaven...). See, you're doing exactly what you were just criticizing religion for, but now you've duped yourself into believing that you're one of the "true Christians" by acting like you're being any different from any of the ones preaching the exact same horseshit you are.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I think it's more the dramatic increase in yoots inability to see anything that's not directly in front of them. I blame smart phones.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I think it's more the dramatic increase in yoots inability to see anything that's not directly in front of them, beside them, next to them, under them, over them, inside them, under the bed, behind the dresser, over in the park, around the corner, hidden behind the moons of Jupiter, or any other place anyone has thought to look. I blame smart phones.
Fixed.

Reactions: OccamsToothbrush

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Sorry to be a smart ass, wasn't everything you said obvious before?

Travel = opens your eyes, builds character
Parenting = of course that is biggest factor in your religious upbringing.

Yes, but for most people it's not that obvious. Many people take thnigs as truth. For example, how many times have you heard "my parents are Christain, so am I." Many of these people have lived in the same city for many years. If they do travel it's to Disney World. They never even question their beliefs because that would mean that they would have to think. And if they had to think that would mean that they would have to admit that maybe they were lied too. I live in a "middle class" city in NJ. Many people here are Catholic. Many people here have never traveled to other countries, so they don't know what is out there. They have a very dogmatic view of the world. I gave up the Catholic church many years ago. Most people aren't aware of social conditioning.

Last edited:

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
I'd somewhat disagree. There's lots of evidence of highly educated otherwise successful people buying religious horseshit, of all kinds (there were cults that were basically only made up of very educated and successful people, Order of the Solar Temple I think was basically only successful and educated persons, and there's been a bunch of others like Aum Shinrikyo that went out of their way to deliberately target educated persons). Education can indoctrinate you the same as anything else. No that's not John Connor's libertarian dumb shit philosophy, by that I mean, there's lots of people that learn things in the exact same way that indoctrination works. They never really learned to think for themselves, they just learned how to learn by the system. That actually works quite well (and there's positives from it) but there's definitely downsides.

You can disagree all you want, but the concept of greater education diminishing the impact of religion is not a matter of opinion. It's a well established fact that as education goes up in a society so does the percentage of atheists. Of course there are outliers, there always will be. Some really intelligent people will believe because that's how they were brainwashed when young and once down that path inertia takes a toll. It's easier to keep going than to turn back and admit you were hoodwinked. The reality doesn't change that education is what leads people out of religion and helps prevent people from getting caught up in it.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You can disagree all you want, but the concept of greater education diminishing the impact of religion is not a matter of opinion. It's a well established fact that as education goes up in a society so does the percentage of atheists. Of course there are outliers, there always will be. Some really intelligent people will believe because that's how they were brainwashed when young and once down that path inertia takes a toll. It's easier to keep going than to turn back and admit you were hoodwinked. The reality doesn't change that education is what leads people out of religion and helps prevent people from getting caught up in it.
Real education leads people to understand how much they do not know.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I've never believed in the existence of what we call "God" and the afterlife. If there is a "soul" and reincarnation, I'd be for it.
Proving it without a doubt at the present time would be impossible since it would be beyond our senses or science to detect.
Hopefully mankind will be enlightened in the future that "religion" is a big lie. When we eventually die, that's it..... Dead is dead.

https://time.com/68381/life-beyond-death-the-science-of-the-afterlife-2/

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
There is more to be said about the nexus of education and religion. Discovering that god has gone missing, I suggest, may itself miss an important point, that nothing has replaced god in our lives and that the obvious current moral vacuum in today's society is an example of our cultural diminution as a result.

Ever since the dawn of man, from the very first words ( "where's my coffee" ? ) man has sought knowledge and comfort from religion and its beliefs. In addition to such succor however arose conflict between religions and within . Now that god is dead we are left without a moral leader and the support structures of religion, like counseling services, immigrant welcome centres and sunday school for children, just to mention a few, will be hard pressed to continue their good works.

That god does not exist in a Cartesian sense, as a rational matter, is a fairly established fact but I'm not sure our lives and families are culturally better off. Quite the contrary. When science takes away our gods it's very important to keep the social benefits that religions provide. Is that possible ?

And a society without gods, what is the political prospect there ? Most such groups are fascist states at their core, like Russia, China, National Socialist governments, etc.
So be careful what you wish for, mon ami.

Last edited: