• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Seeking mobo advice for a linux workstation build

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
I'm looking to build a dedicated linux workstation and I'm leaning toward a new ryzen 5xxx cpu. In the past I'v usually bumped up against various unsupported bits of of the mobo ie the wifi chip or temp sensors or audio issues. I want something that works correctly out of the box with the latest kernel, (probably going with Pop OS, but might go ubuntu or fedora). Does anyone have any experience or observations to share on the latest gear?

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Hrm,

It really depends on the motherboard I think. A lot of the X570 and B550 motherboards are limited in operating system support in terms of what is officially supported (everyone targets Windows 10 now, for gaming mostly). You may find better overall support in a motherboard like X470 or B450 as they can be updated to support the 5000 series Ryzen CPUs. I typically run Ubuntu myself and it has worked perfectly on all my boxes so far but I don't have on-board Wifi on the particular motherboard that I run it on. And I don't have a 5000 series CPU in my AM4 board that runs Ubuntu. It's a MSI ProSeries B450M PRO-M2 Max motherboard. Worked fine with the Athlon 3000G (APU). I have an ASUS X570 TUF Gaming-Wifi motherboard sitting here ready to be tested, but I don't have a CPU at all for it due to the massive shortages and wait times. Otherwise, I'd spin up a Ubuntu distro VM and let you know. My CPU won't be here for another week or two based on projections.

Very best,

ASK THE COMMUNITY