Seeking game industry talent in Chicago area

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
I'm attempting to start up something in Chicagoland. Most of the game industry seems to reside in CA, TX, and WA.. and I don't really feel like moving at this point. So I figured, maybe I could build a local team of talent right here at home.

So I need people close by to start up something. I live in the west suburbs, so the closer you are, the better. There's no money in this, so please keep in mind this is on a volunteer basis. I think the plan will be to build a game and try to pitch it to a publishing house like Interplay, EA, Sierra Studios, etc.

I'm in need of the following:

CONCEPT ARTIST
Required experience with traditional pencil and paper sketching, and a very good imagination. Colored pencil and/or airbrushing a bonus. Present portfolio upon application.
Role: Come up with concepts for characters, landscape, and any other aspect needed. Results will be passed to either 2D or 3D artist for implementation.

2D ARTIST
Must have solid knowledge and a high level of expertise in Photoshop 5 or 6, and creating concrete graphics such as human faces, landscape art (grass, rocks, etc.), especially as textures for 3D models. Experience with creating textures for 3D models is preferred, but not a requirement. Present portfolio upon application.
Role: You will be creating logos, 2D artwork, and textures meant to be applied to 3D models.

3D ARTIST
Must have extensive experience with a major modelling package (Rhino, 3dsmax, Maya, Lightwave, etc.), and how to get the most out of the lowest poly count model. Must also have experience with mapping textures, and must be able to work with DirectX programmer(s) to incorporate 3D models and textures into the game engine. Present portfolio of 3D models upon application.
Role: You will be responsible for creating low-poly models for our games.

DIRECTX 7 PROGRAMMERS
Required experience with C++/C# and dealing with ALL aspects of DirectX (DirectDraw, Direct3D, DirectInput, DirectPlay, etc.). DirectX 8 knowledge highly preferred (for GeForce3 compatibility), but not required (will allow time for learning).

C++/C# PROGRAMMERS
(We may exclusively use C# as by the time any major project is ready for launch, Microsoft .NET Framework will be out of beta. C# allows the programmer to focus more on the concept than worrying about garbage clean-up, etc.)
Solid experience in C++ required, must be a real guru. List of past projects must be submitted upon application.
Role: You will be responsible for the core functionality of any game projects, and will work closely with the product designer(s).

This is just a start. I'm sure I can probably think of other positions later. Please e-mail me at mdesigner2001@hotmail.com if you're interested, and please remember to attach any portfolio (as described above in each position). Thanks!

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Wow, that sounds cool. I admire your ambition. Unfourtnately, I am not that qualified for any of your positions. But i'd just like to say, Good luck!

divinemartyr

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2000
You'd have much better luck on a graphics forum as opposed to here, especially with the locality you need plus the fact it's all going to be volunteer work. I don't see you having much luck here but good luck to you.

dm

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Why just the Chicago area? The good thing about working with computer projects (especially volunteer ones) is that it can be worked on by people anywhere in the world. I'd volunteer, but I

a) Live in New york
b) probably don't reach the minimum programming requirements

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
I think there's a definite advantage to being in the same area. Nothing beats a real, physical meeting. It's much easier to collaborate in person. Plus, what if the group takes off and gets a solid income? Then we start to rent office space, etc., and the people missing out are the ones in California, NY, Europe, what have you.

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
you will not find luck here... i suggest that you a. try another forum or b. forget this.

people usually DON'T like working for free, you know...

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001

<< you will not find luck here... i suggest that you a. try another forum or b. forget this.

people usually DON'T like working for free, you know...
>>

Of course not. Unless you're someone who REALLY enjoys computer games and wants to get into the industry. I'd gladly pour a few years into this without seeing a dime. Look at Bioware.. hugely successful, and it started out with two doctors saying &quot;let's make games.&quot; They used their day jobs to fund their game work.

jjm

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Stop trying to hire people! According to some here, we are in a deep recession already. You are not supposed to be able to do this! ;)

Good luck.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< Of course not. Unless you're someone who REALLY enjoys computer games and wants to get into the industry. I'd gladly pour a few years into this without seeing a dime. Look at Bioware.. hugely successful, and it started out with two doctors saying &quot;let's make games.&quot; They used their day jobs to fund their game work. >>

I agree. Maybe if I go to Chicago university in 2002 and you're still looking for people....