Question Seeking advice on memory overclock using xmp

dynaboom

Mar 25, 2012
I am trying to overclock the ram in my PC using xmp profiles. The ram defaults to 1600 mhz and is supposed to run at 1866 mhz with xmp enabled. The PC crashes when I enabled Profile 1 (1866 mhz) in the bios. Sometimes it runs for a while before crashing. System is stable when ram is left at 1600 mhz. Should I just manually boost the ram speed to 1866 and voltage to 1.64v without turning on xmp profiles?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You could try for sure, using auto timings. It may just be that your RAM is not stable at it's XMP settings. You can check to see if it is under warranty and RMA if need be, assuming it is covered. Just keep in mind it is generally recommended to stay at or under 1.5V for DDR3 on 3rd gen or later Intel CPUs.

dynaboom

Mar 25, 2012
Regarding voltage, the motherboard does default to 1.5v. I just assumed the memory would need more voltage to run at higher speeds. Someplace online I read ddr3 should run at between 1.5 and 1.65v.

Would it make a difference to manually enter the ram timings in the uefi? Also, would it matter whether selecting xmp profile in Gigabyte control center software or the bios?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would recommend doing the changes in BIOS. Not sure about manually entering timings, but you could try adjusting them, and perhaps loosening them, and see if that helps.