see, this is why the davis-bacon act was suspended!!!

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
usa today reports this:

usatoday

did anyone not expect this to happen eventually? i know i did, it was just a matter of time unitl somone reported this.

in case link does not work

Illegal workers found at La. base
By Bill Nichols, USA TODAY
Federal officials are investigating how at least 10 undocumented immigrants performed hurricane reconstruction work at a naval base near New Orleans. (Related story: Cities tackle day labor dilemma)

Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Jamie Zuieback said Sunday that the agency was asked to come to Belle Chasse Naval Air Station on Thursday by base officials. Zuieback said 10 workers were found who were not authorized to work in the United States. They were denied base access, and the agency is investigating "the circumstance surrounding their employment," she said.

Navy spokesman Lt. (j.g.) Sean Robertson said that 13 individuals had been barred from the base. Neither he nor Zuieback could explain the discrepancy between the numbers.

The action came amid growing complaints from area electricians who say they lost their jobs at the base to lower-wage workers.

Robert "Tiger" Hammond, president of the Greater New Orleans AFL-CIO, said about 75 union electricians lost their jobs after the Bush administration temporarily suspended the Davis-Bacon Act, which guarantees the prevailing local wage for workers hired under federal contracts.

It was unclear who employed the undocumented workers. Zuieback would not give the name of the employer. Robertson said they worked for BE&K, an Alabama-based contractor, and Texas-based BMS Catastrophe.

BE&K spokeswoman Susan Wasley said no company employee had been cited, removed or barred from the base. "We haven't done anything wrong," she said.

BMS Catastrophe did not return calls for comment.

BE&K is a subcontractor for Halliburton, which is doing the bulk of the reconstruction work at the base. It was not clear whether BMS Catastrophe also is a Halliburton subcontractor.

KBR, the Halliburton subsidiary overseeing the Belle Chasse work, issued a statement that did not address the probe's specifics. The company said its subcontractors comply with all labor laws.

Contributing: Tom Vanden Brook

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Doesnt surprise me at all, we have an open border policy and some states have laws against inquiring about your legal status. Why would this surprise anybody?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
Doesnt surprise me at all, we have an open border policy and some states have laws against inquiring about your legal status. Why would this surprise anybody?

That is an amazing allegation. I was under the impression you had to provide proof, under Federal law, that would indicate your right to work in America, such as a Social Security card.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
That is an amazing allegation. I was under the impression you had to provide proof, under Federal law, that would indicate your right to work in America, such as a Social Security card.

We know how easy it is to present forged documents.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: techs

We know how easy it is to present forged documents.

Yes, they supply about 500$ street to get the papers that cost residents about 25$ at the DMV to pay taxes like the rest of us for much lower wages for jobs americans are too lazy to bother with none of the legal protections and social services for risk of getting deported.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
Yes, they supply about 500$ street to get the papers that cost residents about 25$ at the DMV to pay taxes like the rest of us for much lower wages for jobs americans are too lazy to bother with none of the legal protections and social services for risk of getting deported.

Could you edit that, perhaps, and make it a logical statement?