See Pork Projects via Google Earth

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Link

One of Sunlight's resident creative geniuses (yes, there are many of them) have taken all the Defense Appropriations Earmarks and made them available for viewing within Google Earth. (You can only view this using Google Earth which you can download from this page.)

And as they say: a picture really is worth a 1,000 words. One of our policy wonks loved the flight simulator that allows you to fly over earmark locations. It allows you to fly your choice of two aircraft anywhere around the globe, with custom layers visible from the aircraft. The simulator is hidden within the latest version of the program, and takes some getting used to controlling, but is certainly an entertaining way to experience the Earth's actual geography-and to educate yourself politically at the same time.

Pretty interesting use of Google Earth. :)

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
A picture is truly worth a thousand words...interesting that the greatest concentration of pork resides around Washington D.C., in the Northeast and in southern California...

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
A picture is truly worth a thousand words...interesting that the greatest concentration of pork resides around Washington D.C., in the Northeast and in southern California...

Makes sense politically and economically, as California and NY/DC are the strongest economies in the union/most electoral votes.

Unfortunately, pork spending isn't going away anytime soon.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Makes sense politically and economically, as California and NY/DC are the strongest economies in the union/most electoral votes.
It makes sense economically, although how many times have we heard the shaking of fists over the military industrial complex and Republican pork spending...where do you think the majority of those pork military contracts reside?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
It makes sense economically, although how many times have we heard the shaking of fists over the military industrial complex and Republican pork spending...where do you think the majority of those pork military contracts reside?

West Virginia.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Uh, I think the spending is clustered around major cities...you know, the places where a lot of people live. In fact, what's really "remarkable" is how closely this map matches those maps floating around of the US at night. I wouldn't read too much into any map that displays counts of something related to human habitation without comparing it to the places people actually live.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I don't see any congressional districts drawn on that map...do you? I realize the the 2nd grade, media fueled, oversimplification of politics is that blue states = Democrats and red states = Republicans, but I'd hope for a little more intelligent discourse on P&N (although I've been posting here for years, I don't know why I keep expecting that).

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Queasy

West Virginia.

Don't forget Mississippi and Alaska.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Lothar
Originally posted by: Queasy

West Virginia.

Don't forget Mississippi and Alaska.

I actually worked for part of the military industrial complex (Raytheon) in Mississippi. ;)