Security backpacks (inside access)

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Anyone use one of these? The ones where you have to put the bag down because access to the main compartment is against your back. I'm considering the Incase Designs DSLR pro but it has this design and I'm not so sure I'll like it. It does have a top access for the camera,which I like, but anything else (lens, flash..etc) and you'll need to drop it and set it down. Seems more of a hassle than its worth.

Looking for one where I can open the top and quickly slide in or remove my gimbal with camera mounted.

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
I have the Incase DSLR Pro pack, and I love it. It's my main bag for traveling and toting a ton of gear around. A couple things:

1) The straps aren't as cushy as I'd like. So a full bag with laptop, lenses, and a couple bodies will hurt your shoulders after a while.

2) The width of the top opening of the bag is not tall enough for a DSLR + battery grip.

I don't think this bag will be able to do what you want. A camera on a gimbal wouldn't be able to be turned downward into the bag, will it? There's definitely not the thickness to have a camera body plus lens be horizontal in the bag. It was made for the camera to be pointed down towards the floor and placed into the top. Maybe you could remove the lens from the camera and drop it in, but even then you'd need to remove basically all the dividers from the back compartment.

Now in regards to the back compartment only opening up while the backpack is not on your back, this is a great safety feature for traveling. Nobody can stick their hands into the main compartment and steal your lenses/bodies while the bag is on your back. This is great for traveling on buses, subways, trains, etc where you're standing in a crowd and being bumped around. You don't have to worry if someone is slowing unzipping your backpack and working on stealing your gear.

Once the camera is off your back, the way it opens up is pretty cool. You basically lay the backpack out on its front side and open up the back and you've got a pretty convenient work station with all your gear laid out in an organized manner.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
If I lay the gimbal with the camera and lens mounted as flat as possible it is 9" at the widest part and 14" long. Is the top opening wide enough to allow it to slip in? I would probably set it up so that the handle is towards the bottom and camera at the top.

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
If I lay the gimbal with the camera and lens mounted as flat as possible it is 9" at the widest part and 14" long. Is the top opening wide enough to allow it to slip in? I would probably set it up so that the handle is towards the bottom and camera at the top.

I'm not at home so I can't say for sure, but I think 9 inches will fit. However, the real question is the thickness of the setup. The thickness is the real limiting factor. The opening is probably something like 10-12 inches by 4 inches.