Security advice - house broken into but nothing taken

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Now you've got me curious. I'd love to see a pic of a 78 year old woman on a walker. My mom uses one and I doubt she has the strength or dexterity to get up on one much less stay balanced there.
Get your own Mom with mad skills.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
They could be selling security systems in a few weeks ;) i have 6mp / 8mp hikvision camera's they work so wonderful, i use wireless floodlights and also have a few dogs in the back. I will put up a trellis on my fence sometime soon too.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
We had all our stuff in a storage container once that got robbed. They took lawn equipment and a bunch of kitchen stuff and some antique furniture....as well as a Rooms2Go leather couch. Luckily, they left our Ethan Allen stuff...which was pretty expensive in comparison.

What's bad is when you're robbed, but you don't know what all they took. As soon as you start trying to find things, your brain trying to place where you left something....then you ask, "well, was that stolen or is it still here somewhere...." We did that for years after the robbery....it sucks. For that anguish alone, it's why I'd like to shoot burglars.

May 13, 2009
My money is on neighborhood kids getting braver and braver. Next step is getting the nerve to go through with it.

I was a fuck up as a kid. So I know these things.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't think a ring doorbell at the front door would have done much help to see what happened behind the house.

But along those notes, getting cameras now a days is pretty cheap. I've been meaning to do it but just been kind of lazy. Once I do it, I plan to put a sticker or something to let people know they are on camera, so that in case someone came with the intention, that maybe knowing they are on camera will change their mind.

I've lived in my house for over 6 years now and haven't heard of anything happening around us though so that's probably why I've been slacking.

I've always thought the notion of front door security was always a joke because thieves are pretty much always going to come in the back. Certainly depends on the way your house is situated, of course. The Ring ads are just lol to me. Only thing you need to worry about the front door is the police busting in, haha.

OP: are you sure nothing was taken? Personal information is generally more valuable than goods these days. Did your bro and neighbors check their papers, file cabinets, stuff like that? Any kind of medical IDs or documents with ss numbers and account numbers that are easily accessible, and now missing?