Section 8: Prejudice -- $15 FPS -- mix of UT + Tribes?

Oct 30, 2004
I just learned about the existence of the new $15 FPS game Section 8: Prejudice. At another forum someone described it as a mix of UT meets Tribes.

Is anyone playing this game? How is it? How does it compare to Tribes and Unreal Tournament?

Any comments on whether selling a new game for $15 is a good strategy (as opposed to charging $60 for it)?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I was in the beta - I really enjoyed the game. I'll probably pick this up too. Only reason I say "probably" is because I play so many games as it is :p

The original Section 8 was a bit of a hidden gem. I bought it on gogamer's 48hr madness for a few bucks.

Gorthan

Feb 11, 2010
I played in the beta as well, looking to pick this up when I have the time for a new fps. Like Fenixgoon said the original was good but seems to have been missed by most.

Gameplay wise Tribes+UT is really the easiest way to explain it. Customisation of armour and kit a la Tribes, jetpacks, vehicles, user placed turrets etc. Combat is more focused than Tribes (maps aren't quite as huge) and I felt the movement was much more like an arena fps.
It's no Tribes, more like a Tribes 2 lite edition updated for the times. The game is not as deep as Tribes was but it's still got plenty in it. Honestly the comparison with UT is more due to the fact it feels like Tribes in an UT shooter style, than any direct comparison to UT. Well to me it is anyway, others may not agree :)

Also the price, Prejudice is not really much more than an expansion pack on the original Section 8 with dedicated servers. So the price is right, and it's nice you don't need the original.

Oct 30, 2004
Does the game support custom content (custom maps, mods)?

Any sense of what the player counts are like?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
First Section 8 was a near miss on a lot of different things. When I played the beta for this one it seemed they had corrected most of the problems the first one suffered and applied necessary polish. I thought it was fun and worth playing despite still having a few gripes. I have to wonder if complete lack of players will be the downfall of this one like it was for the first. Beta population always seemed a bit sparse to me.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
the jetpacks really weren't what defined tribes, it was the most obvious face value departure from other games, but tribes without skiing would really wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular as it was

this game not only has less emphasis on jetpack play, AFAIK there really isn't any equivalent of skiing

that being said I'm definitely going to pick this up for $15 because the unique elements it does have such as the enticing larger armors and vehicles to play with and of course the orbital insertion that lets you spawn just about anywhere on the battlefield

co-op in this version should be a big bonus as well

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I do want to get this eventually. Hope the online community doesn't die soon.

Gorthan

Feb 11, 2010
this game not only has less emphasis on jetpack play, AFAIK there really isn't any equivalent of skiing

You just reminded me of what I do everytime I use the jetpack in Section 8. Try to ski.... :(

You're right though, the skiing was a much bigger part of Tribes, but it also wouldn't have been possible to be so awesome without the jetpacks.

edit: Forgot to add, the reason it does feel so Tribes like is the armour customisation (being more varied than Tribes here too) and the full kit customisation. Throw in vehicles, jetpacks and dudes running around in power armour it does have a vibe to it. By no means is it some sort of spiritual successor though.

Last edited:

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
how is multiplayer
easy to find servers to play on ? easy to find coop matches to play ? or is coop a thing you gotta setup with people, ie no coop browser

gotta know this cause I find this game extremely intriguing

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
how is multiplayer
easy to find servers to play on ? easy to find coop matches to play ? or is coop a thing you gotta setup with people, ie no coop browser

gotta know this cause I find this game extremely intriguing

you can join random coop games pretty easily.

I was playing with a buddy and 2 ai. 2 guys joined during the round

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
its sounding (and looking) pretty damn good to me for $15

gonna be hard to pass this one up I think