Secret Shopper

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
My wife did this once at a restaurant, and I tagged along. Its a lot more work than you think it is going to be - you have to fill out a very lengthy report about your experience. We did get a pretty good meal and drinks out of it, but I'm not sure she thought it was worth it.

Also, a lot of the non-restaurant jobs pay so little that it generally isn't worth your time.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I secret shop all the time. Resturants, grocery stores and banks. I have also done on line surveys and focus groups. The resturant shops turn out as a free meal for two people.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
OK pay. about $40 for 2 hours of work. hour and a half in the shop and 30 minutes writing the review

Never pay to find out the info. Everything is free. Some info can be found at WAHM

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
A lot of the secret shopper sites are scams..

And, if you EVER, get a check in the mail that says your first assignment is to evaluate a moneygram or some other wire transfer, then it is most definitely 100% a scam. I got a cashier's check for $2500 the other day with 'instructions' to send $2100 as a Moneygram and pocket the rest so I could be employed as a Secret Shopper. I didn't do it of course.

Amplifier

Banned
Dec 25, 2004
i work as a secret shoplifter, i test the security of local stores. i dont get paid but i do get to keep what i steal

ajscottsr

May 9, 2006
Definitely don't pay anyone for this.

I've done it before and found it to be an aweful lot of work for very little pay. Generally, for restaurants, you just get comped the meal but its not just a few questions, its a substantial questionaire. Most stores, banks, etc. pay between $5 - 20 depending on the complexity of the shop. I used to line up 10 - 15 in a single day to make it worth my while but that ends up being a grueling day.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Amplifier
i work as a secret shoplifter, i test the security of local stores. i dont get paid but i do get to keep what i steal

:) That would *almost* be a funny practical joke to play on someone....
Let them think they're going to be paid $10 for "shopping," and testing out security, and they get to keep any one item if they make it out of the store undetected by security.
"However, if you get caught, just say the secret phrase: "Platypus Secret shoplifter" and they'll let you go."

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Yeah I used to do the same, not very much pay maybe 10-15 an hour if you can line up enough jobs to do.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I tried it for a while, but it's mindless work with stupid reports...that said, if you can find the good jbos, like hotels, restaurants...then it's worth it. I did a few bank secret shops, at $15 per shop...on average, about 5-10 minutes of work.

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
isn't there someone on here that runs a website specifically telling people how to do this?

Murphy Durphy

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2003
I hate to bump an old thread, but can anyone offer some more information on this? I want to try it, but I can't find anything on how to start besides those silly "pay us and we'll tell you" sites.

skrilla

Oct 22, 2004
I was signed up at a different site but never ended up doing a shop.

The report scared me off, very lengthy, in depth for not much compensation.

Also, the good shops, usually at a popular sit-down restaurant in town - fully compensated, are pretty much swiped up right away.

Murphy Durphy

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2003
Soo... does anyone have information on how to find secret shop opportunities without paying for those sites?