Second X1900XT dies within weeks... WTF is this?

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
AFter I got my replacement board, now my second X1900XT has died too, when I was simply browsing my files... I don't get it, seriously. WTF is this? Am I being haunted? When I built my new rig first my brand new mobo died, when I got it back fixed, my brand new VGA died. I got it replaced, it was working fine for weeks, Prey was running great and cold in 1920 (<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbar...d=f4747549bb8a11d2389d25a7a68f3f6a</a>">EK block</a>without any OC) for hours - then, few days later, when I was simply browsing my files on my home NAS suddenly the machine got frozen, restarted and there's no picture anymore... I can see it not only boots up fine but starts loading, presumably the OS...
That's one thing that I'll replace the VGA again but what if the new one dies again? :disgust:
Should I try to get some other type of card? I'd stay with ATI and AFAIK all mfr's more or less follow the same reference design... dunno what to do...

PS: when is X1950XT excpected to hit the shelves?

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
What are the rest of your system specs? That's almost like having 2 cpus die on you -- in other words, highly unlikely.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
power supply :?

"restarted and there's no picture anymore... I can see it not only boots up fine but starts loading, presumably the OS..."

What do you mean by this :? How can see you your comp boot up fine when your VGA is dead :? can you see the start up process on your monitor or windows logo :?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
your specs dont say what psu u're using. for such a high end rig, u should be using top of the line. from having 3 components die unexpectedly i'd definetly suspect the psu.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Could be a grounding issue killing your components, or a PSU that isn't up to the task or is faulty. I had a case once that took out two motherboards before I figured out what was going on.

Bull Dog

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2005
And can I recommend using the stock cooler for a while with no overclocking to make sure it isn't your watercooling thats frying your card?

GloryField

Mar 9, 2006
either PSU or mobo. Video cards don't just randomly "die" for no reason, else you'd be seeing a recall from ATi.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: tuteja1986
power supply :?

"restarted and there's no picture anymore... I can see it not only boots up fine but starts loading, presumably the OS..."

What do you mean by this :? How can see you your comp boot up fine when your VGA is dead :? can you see the start up process on your monitor or windows logo :?

I'm sorry, it was too early :) - no, there's no picture at all but from HDD noise and looking at the led it sounds like it's loading the OS...

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: poohbear
your specs dont say what psu u're using. for such a high end rig, u should be using top of the line. from having 3 components die unexpectedly i'd definetly suspect the psu.

You're right - specs updated. :) It's a 600W Seasonic, with two 18A 12V rails.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Avalon
Could be a grounding issue killing your components, or a PSU that isn't up to the task or is faulty. I had a case once that took out two motherboards before I figured out what was going on.

Really? And it happened over time ie in few weeks?

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Bull Dog
And can I recommend using the stock cooler for a while with no overclocking to make sure it isn't your watercooling thats frying your card?

Sure but TBH I can only imagine two ways to get it fried by the WC: 1. no cooling - this is certainly not the case 2. bad contact somewhere - buit this would kill it probably immediately, wouldn't it?

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: T2k
Originally posted by: Bull Dog

Sure but TBH I can only imagine two ways to get it fried by the WC: 1. no cooling - this is certainly not the case 2. bad contact somewhere - buit this would kill it probably immediately, wouldn't it?

You could have intermittent shorts for all we know or any number of other things. You need to isolate the problem first and removing the water cooling variable from the video card would be a good start.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
True... anyway, I'll give it another shot now as I didn't have the time Sat night nor the energy Sunday to spend more time with it...

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
Do you have a line conditioner such as a UPS for the computer? you could just be having horrible power.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: T2k
Originally posted by: Avalon

Really? And it happened over time ie in few weeks?

The time between the deaths of the two boards was just a week. That was a royal pain.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Talcite
Do you have a line conditioner such as a UPS for the computer? you could just be having horrible power.

Funny thing is I do, though I plugged the machie into another outlet.:)

Nevertheless it's back. Yipeee! :thumbsup:
Apparently my PSU and/or something in the line caused 'flatlining' - after I 'rebooted' my PSU (unplug, machine on, plug in etc) and plugged into my line coditioner the machine booted up properly. Well, one hard drive became unavailable - kinda weird because here, in the office it works fine... I guess I will rewire the entire machine (12V) or perhaps replace the PSU (which is also brand new).
Anyway, thanks for the ideas, the help!:thumbsup::cool:

PS: in the first case - happened at the office - the VGA was totally dead, didn't work in 2 other machine, so I guess I can conclude that was a different issue...