Secession! With Pollage!

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Are you for or against a Constitutional amendment allowing a State to secede from the Union?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I don't really understand why one would be needed.

The various states joined the union of their own free will.

I'm unaware of anything in the Constitution that says the federal government has the power to make any state remain in the union. If a power is not enumerated in the Constitution it usually means the fed gov doesn't have it.

Fern

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Fern

I'm unaware of anything in the Constitution that says the federal government has the power to make any state remain in the union. If a power is not enumerated in the Constitution it usually means the fed gov doesn't have it.

Fern

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Fern

Fern

Exactly. The OP's poll makes no sense since there is no need for an amendment for a state to secede. I swear most people here slept through civics class in JH/HS.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I would like an amendment allowing a majority of states to throw other states out.

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
What a silly question. Will not happen in any meaningful timeframe to you.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: maxster
Hmm I remember something called the Civil War.

What happened there again?

Rhett got laid. Scarlett got laid. Ashley got laid. Melanie got laid. Everybody got laid!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
It would be bad timing. 0bama is the modern day Lincoln.

*shudders*

You mean we would have 2 of the 3 worst presidents within 8 years of each other?

*pukes*

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ironwing
I would like an amendment allowing a majority of states to throw other states out.

California would be the first to go.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
I think that there is highly likely something illegal about the federal government introducing legislation to divide/weaken itself.

Besides, the only states that would ratify it would be the ones that want to secede.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Although I support it in principle, the reality is that I fear my fellow citizens in my state. We'd be trading a tyrannical gvt hundreds of miles away for one tens of miles away. Not much difference.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: ironwing

California would be the first to go.

They would be better off tbh.
Nah because we would keep all their water and without all the money spent by the DoD they would face some serious problems.