SEC Orders AIG Info Sealed Until November... 2018!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
What motive could the SEC have given the allegations against Geithner and his oversight?

From the original article:
In a typical year, the SEC receives 1,500 requests from U.S. companies for confidential treatment for portions of regulatory filing, said Nestor. The agency grants those requests, "all or in part," 95 percent of the time, he said.

Given that the SEC grants requests for confidentiality more than 9 times out 10, it would be unusual for them not to do so.

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Geithner

Keep up with current events with him, AIG and why this is important. You asked about the president and his administration, I give you exhibit A. Next you'll claim Secretary of the Treasury isn't part of the Obama Administration.

In March 2008, he arranged the rescue and sale of Bear Stearns. In the same year, he played a supporting role to Hank Paulson, former CEO of Goldman Sachs, in the decision to bail out AIG just two days after deciding not to rescue Lehman Brothers from bankruptcy. According to some observers, Geithner severely damaged the U.S. economy. As a Treasury official, he helped manage multiple international crises of the 1990s[ in Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, South Korea, and Thailand.

The AIG bailout was done in 2008 under Bush and as someone else pointed out the SEC is not under executive control and currently 3 out the 5 commissioners were appointed by bush.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Given that the SEC grants requests for confidentiality more than 9 times out 10, it would be unusual for them not to do so.

This situation is a bit different as the US taxpayer paid for a bailout of the company.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Now thats the transparency I'm talking about! Hope and Change!

Seems our RULERS dont want us to know all of the shenanigans that are going on behind all these closed doors. Hell-thcare closed doors, bailout closed doors, government takeover closed doors.......

We The People are getting proper fucked.

this doesn't just show how dishonest and treasonous Obama is.

it also shows how dishonest and treasonous Clinton & Bush 43 were, since the entire fiasco that AIG & Goldman are involved in didn't start the day Obama took office, it was decades in the making.

and who was Obama's opponent in the election ? McCain ! one of the primary enablers of the Savings & Loan crisis 20 years ago, which was sort of a warm-up for the current mess.

these guys make genuine third party candidates look good. though right now i'd settle for Scott Brown beating Coakley in the Mass. senate race to replace Ted Kennedy.

if Scott Brown wins, the Dems. lose their Super-Majority in the Senate. the Dems do not deserve a super-Majority.

i'm hoping Brown wins and Obama-care has to go back to the drawing board.

getting back to the AIG info being sealed ... i wonder if it's for "national security reasons".

Last edited:

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

And how many of those times are the companies receiving BILLIONS in taxpayer money?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The AIG bailout was done in 2008 under Bush and as someone else pointed out the SEC is not under executive control and currently 3 out the 5 commissioners were appointed by bush.

What does that have to do with Turbo Tax Timmy?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
And how many of those times are the companies receiving BILLIONS in taxpayer money?

Therein lies the problem. The public is a financial partner with AIG since it took our money and therefore we ought to be able to look at what's been going on.

Then again I said as much about a lot of things with Bush and that never happened.

Nothing ever changes.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
YlY5A.jpg

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
and the AIG bailout happened under bushs watch as well...

"Bushs watch"?? Now is that before or after the D's had Congress and voted then passed shit like this? Just for my own benefit of course.....

Its REAL fuckin easy to play the "Blame Bush" game and overlook that painful point that the D's were running Congress for a few years there on "Bushs Watch" now isnt it....

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Democrat Senate and House, remember who pushed for it totally against the will of The People.

You assume of course that the people always knows whats best. They rarely, if ever, do. Especially if the problem at hand can't be explained in a 10 second sound bite.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Yeah, I miss the guy who was in charge when the house of cards collapsed. Not. It's hilarious that many blame Obama for the mess we're in but completely forget when/how it happened. Sorry, if Obama is responsible now Bush was responsible then.

Cliff's Notes: But Bush :awe:

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
Democrat Senate and House, remember who pushed for it totally against the will of The People.

Specop 007 said:
"Bushs watch"?? Now is that before or after the D's had Congress and voted then passed shit like this? Just for my own benefit of course.....

Its REAL fuckin easy to play the "Blame Bush" game and overlook that painful point that the D's were running Congress for a few years there on "Bushs Watch" now isnt it....

Wasn't the AIG bailout orchestrated by the Federal Reserve?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
This info should be released within 10 seconds of the Fed receiving their last repayment, then let the chips fall as they may - if stock prices plummet then so be it, fuck 'em.