Seattle Times Editorial Board causes Drug Czar to flip out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Lots of the same lame arguments made by people for years. They're just dopehead losers who don't want to face the consequences of their stupidity.

nice troll attempt.. just a bit illogical to catch any traction though.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
I don't care whether pot is legalized or not. If it's legalized, it doesn't take away from the fact that users getting stoned, jumping into a car, and running over a few kids will still have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I don't care whether pot is legalized or not. If it's legalized, it doesn't take away from the fact that users getting stoned, jumping into a car, and running over a few kids will still have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

This. Basically, whether or not they were stoned is irrelevant. They still ran over a few kids and that's the problem.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Lots of the same lame arguments made by people for years. They're just dopehead losers who don't want to face the consequences of their stupidity.

The ones not facing the consequences of their stupidity are the ones that support the War on Drugs™, and the epic failure that it is. The hypocritical idiots that pound a 12 pack and than rail on about how potheads are dumb dopers. The War on Drugs™ is the epitome of failure in America, nothing more than socially demonized retardation, and an authoritarian desire to legislate morality to force people to do what you think they should. Anyone that claims to believe in freedom and supports the War on Drugs™ is a complete a total hypocritical fuckwad.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
The ones not facing the consequences of their stupidity are the ones that support the War on Drugs™, and the epic failure that it is. The hypocritical idiots that pound a 12 pack and than rail on about how potheads are dumb dopers. The War on Drugs™ is the epitome of failure in America, nothing more than socially demonized retardation, and an authoritarian desire to legislate morality to force people to do what you think they should. Anyone that claims to believe in freedom and supports the War on Drugs™ is a complete a total hypocritical fuckwad.

Yep. I just read an article (and signed an online petition) about a single mother who was peddling dimebags to friends, got busted (along with her mom), both first time offenses, and the single mom was sentenced to TEN YEARS in prison. Her kid is only a toddler. The grandma is already struggling as is, and the judge made the grandma take the child as part of her sentence.

What the judge did to this woman is more of a moral crime than what the 'criminal' did.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

:thumbsup:

Yep. I just read an article (and signed an online petition) about a single mother who was peddling dimebags to friends, got busted (along with her mom), both first time offenses, and the single mom was sentenced to TEN YEARS in prison. Her kid is only a toddler. The grandma is already struggling as is, and the judge made the grandma take the child as part of her sentence.

What the judge did to this woman is more of a moral crime than what the 'criminal' did.

:thumbsup:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

What part of "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" is not clear? She is a drug dealer, plain and simple. All the fluff about a toddler and grandma and all that is just to obfuscate the issue. She's a drug dealer, she got caught, and she should pay the same price as any other drug dealer.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
What part of "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" is not clear? She is a drug dealer, plain and simple. All the fluff about a toddler and grandma and all that is just to obfuscate the issue. She's a drug dealer, she got caught, and she should pay the same price as any other drug dealer.

True, for now, but the point is that the penalties are egregiously high for victimless crimes when you can get less time for killing someone than selling a fucking dimebag.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Yes. I agree. Pay the same price. However, the price should be a sales tax at best. Not prison time.

Do you really think it's moral to lock up a woman/mother for 10 years over some weed? If so, why aren't we executing anybody who drinks alcohol? Or any liquor store that sells booze. Or pharmacists. They are drug dealers too. Or is there a difference between them other than legality?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Yes. I agree. Pay the same price. However, the price should be a sales tax at best. Not prison time.

Do you really think it's moral to lock up a woman/mother for 10 years over some weed? If so, why aren't we executing anybody who drinks alcohol? Or any liquor store that sells booze. Or pharmacists. They are drug dealers too. Or is there a difference between them other than legality?

The entire DEA Scheduling is completely absurd, weed is Schedule I, same as LSD, PCP, while most Fentanyl compounds, one of the most powerful opiates around is Schedule II with morphine, oxycodone, etc ...It's all idiotic, completely fear, and politically driven bullshit. That's not even discussing the realities of how badly alcohol, and tobacco destroy more people than "illegal drugs". It's fucking insane.

Last edited:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Sates rights ----> slavery

Ironically it's for similar reasons.
slavery --> jobs move to the slavery states
drugs --> all drug revenue goes to the pro-drug states

So whichever states take the moral high road and keep drugs illegal find that a huge amount of money leaves their economy and goes to states that have drugs. Of course that's already true in a way. Instead of money going from Texas to California it goes from Texas and California to Columbia. Oops!

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

So you're fine with unjust laws. Got it. And you'd also wouldn't have supported the 21st amendment either, eh?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ironically it's for similar reasons.
slavery --> jobs move to the slavery states
drugs --> all drug revenue goes to the pro-drug states

So whichever states take the moral high road and keep drugs illegal find that a huge amount of money leaves their economy and goes to states that have drugs. Of course that's already true in a way. Instead of money going from Texas to California it goes from Texas and California to Columbia. Oops!

Not sure that would happen to such a great extent. We have states that have legal gambling and prostitution and states that don't. The ones that don't still have legal gambling workarounds and prostitution.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
hold on a sec, i think i'm gonna go beat my wife in a drunken stupor and escape all consequences

brb

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
It is a weed. when it can be grown anywhere; how will the gov control it for taxation?

Beer can be brewed in your own house, most people are just too impatient to wait a few days or weeks to drink some beer. It would be much easier to drive to a 7-11 and buy a 12 pack, and pay tax on it.

Not sure what you're missing?

Same argument could be made for anything that grows. OMG, you can grow tomatoes. how will the government tax them?

Dunno about your state, but mine doesn't charge tax on food that isn't cooked/prepared.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
It's ridiculous that it's even illegal still. I think this will all change as the old farts die off the and younger more evolved people get into power.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Life is full of choices that have to be weighed.

A student is aware of what they are doing and what the consequences of it are.
If they feel that they do not need to worry about the consequences; more the power to them.

But they should NOT be coddled for arrogance in thinking that they are above the law.

George: In all honesty, I don't feel like what I've done is a crime and I think it's illogical and irresponsible for you to sentence me to prison. None of the real criminals of the world ever end up behind bars. I mean, when you think about it, what did I really do? Cross an imaginary line with a bunch of plants? You say that I'm an outlaw, you say that I'm a thief, but where's the Christmas dinner for the people on relief?

Judge: Those are very interesting concepts you have, Mr. Jung. Unfortunately for you, the imaginary line you crossed is real, the plants you brought with you are illegal, and what you did constitutes a crime. Bail is set at twenty-thousand dollars.

2 characters

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
You know the feds will just threaten to cut off funding and then everyone will step in line.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
The entire DEA Scheduling is completely absurd, weed is Schedule I, same as LSD, PCP, while most Fentanyl compounds, one of the most powerful opiates around is Schedule II with morphine, oxycodone, etc ...It's all idiotic, completely fear, and politically driven bullshit. That's not even discussing the realities of how badly alcohol, and tobacco destroy more people than "illegal drugs". It's fucking insane.

Schedule 1 just means it has no recognized medical application. (Which is obviously BS for weed.)

By that definition LSD, a perfectly safe substance that has no medical application that I'm aware of would belong on Schedule 1, while Opiods would belong on Schedule II or III even if they are a bit more hazardous.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Schedule 1 just means it has no recognized medical application. (Which is obviously BS for weed.)

I know, that was my point.

By that definition LSD, a perfectly safe substance that has no medical application that I'm aware of would belong on Schedule 1, while Opiods would belong on Schedule II or III even if they are a bit more hazardous.

LSD is a Schedule I drug, most opiates/opioid are Schedule II, some precursors, and none medical use versions are Schedule I, but for the most part Fentanyl, morphine, and other stronger opiates are Schedule II, some compounds Schedule III along with things like Hydrocodone, Percocet, codeine.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
So you're fine with unjust laws. Got it. And you'd also wouldn't have supported the 21st amendment either, eh?

Strawman stupidity FTL. The law is what it is. Until it is changed, people have the option of not suffering such harsh penalties by <gasp> not doing the things that are illegal.

If wearing a baseball cap became a crime punishable by mandatory 30 years in federal prison, I'd think it was an absurd law, but you'd better believe I would get rid of all my baseball caps and make sure not to wear them again -- not wear one and then whine when caught.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Strawman stupidity FTL. The law is what it is. Until it is changed, people have the option of not suffering such harsh penalties by <gasp> not doing the things that are illegal.

If wearing a baseball cap became a crime punishable by mandatory 30 years in federal prison, I'd think it was an absurd law, but you'd better believe I would get rid of all my baseball caps and make sure not to wear them again -- not wear one and then whine when caught.

That's fine. when you don't stand up for your right over something so simple as a baseball hat, I'll realize I can steamroll my legislation to outlaw poker right over your face and you will just bend over and take it.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That's fine. when you don't stand up for your right over something so simple as a baseball hat, I'll realize I can steamroll my legislation to outlaw poker

Nobody said anything about taking anything. Argue against the law all you want, but I have little sympathy for someone who gets caught doing something against the law, then whines that the punishment is too harsh. You knew in advance what the punishment was going to be, don't whine about it after you get caught. Work to change it if you don't like it, and in the meantime, "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Life is full of choices that have to be weighed.

A student is aware of what they are doing and what the consequences of it are.
If they feel that they do not need to worry about the consequences; more the power to them.

But they should NOT be coddled for arrogance in thinking that they are above the law.

that's fine, but what does it have to do with it being absolutely retarded that we outlaw pot?