Seatbelts are for safety.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I always wear my seatbelt, I still say seatbelts laws are bs though.

WisMan

Nov 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Tab

Agreed, i don't like the fact i'm required by law to wear them. What gives them the right to tell me what i have to do in my own car?

I do, however, wear it almost all the time.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: WisMan

Agreed, i don't like the fact i'm required by law to wear them. What gives them the right to tell me what i have to do in my own car?

:roll:

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004

Please meet the brick wall @ 80 mph next time you're out driving. Preferably alone.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: KillerCharlie
What gives them the right to tell me what i have to do in my own car?

The fact that they pay for emergency services.
Who is "they"?

The "they" you speak of is the taxpayer. The legislatures, while taxpayers themselves (or what they don't lie about), don't pay for anything more than a small fraction of my emergency services.
Then on top of that my health insurance, which I pay for, pays for all emergency medical services rendered.

The argument that because something is rendered by the public sector allows the lawbody to make legislation restricting my personal rights just doesn't fly.
Read: constitutional lawsuits, prohibition, ability to reproduce, etc.

WisMan

Nov 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Baked

Please meet the brick wall @ 80 mph next time you're out driving. Preferably alone.

I dont think a seat belt would make much difference in a case like that...

McGyver

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2002

you can do whatever you want in your car, but technically it's where your car at that matters.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

your car is on public roads.

you also have to go the speed limit in your own car, do you bitch about that?

WisMan

Nov 24, 2004
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE

When im speeding i am directly affecting the lives of other motorist on the roads, but how would my decision to not to buckle up when i am driving alone effect anyone?s safety other then my own?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

When im speeding i am directly affecting the lives of other motorist on the roads, but how would my decision to not to buckle up when i am driving alone effect anyone?s safety other then my own?

when you are ejected from the vehicle, and tossed on the road, causing other motorists to swerve to avoid you.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

when you are ejected from the vehicle, and tossed on the road, causing other motorists to swerve to avoid you.

I brake for whales, but I'll drive right over people who don't wear their seatbelt...

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
ahhaha this retarded argument has been made in threads like this all the time. Don't stoop to that level.

If you use the same argument, motorcycles should be banned because in an accident the rider will almost ALWAYS be physically removed from his vehicle. So don't even go there kiddo.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
is it bad that the first thing i thought of was what would happen if one of those econoboxes hit my first gen explorer?

<--wears seatbelt because i know i'm safer INSIDE my 5000 LB istrument of death.

SophalotJack

Banned
Jan 6, 2006
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
is it bad that the first thing i thought of was what would happen if one of those econoboxes hit my first gen explorer?

<--wears seatbelt because i know i'm safer INSIDE my 5000 LB istrument of death.

Unless you're suicidal, it's not bad at all.

Check it out, mr big truck tough guy.

here

Granted, they might of had better standards for SUVs as old as yours. And that you might just drive over them.