SeaSonic SuperTornado 350W Power Supply $56.50+$7ship AR ($20)

MTwain

Dec 30, 2004
The SeaSonic SuperTornado line is very highly regarded by many reviewers. I look forward to installing my first one on Jan 3 :D

I have read that the enegry savings alone pay for any price differential between Active and Passive Power Factor Correction power supplies. Apparently the EU has decided that all new computers sold in Europe must use the considerably more efficient PFC PS's.

This unit has a 120 mm fan mounted vertically. It is supposed to be truly whisper quiet.
This is a great deal IMHO, especially for those not living in NewEgg tax states such as Tennessee (9.25%, even on food) :disgust: .

"This mail-in rebate is offered to any customer who has purchased a Super Tornado 350
Newegg.com between December 26, 2004 and January 16, 2005 anywhere in the U.S."

Newegg link

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
I have the 400W version of this, highly recommended. It's not flashy but it's rock solid, quiet and efficient. :thumbsup:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MTwain
I have read that the enegry savings alone pay for any price differential between Active and Passive Power Factor Correction power supplies. Apparently the EU has decided that all new computers sold in Europe must use the considerably more efficient PFC PS's.

Power Factor Correction makes the utilities companies happy, but it certainly doesn't SAVE you energy. Industries get billed by power factor, but home users only get billed by KWH, so power factor correction doesn't help you.

Actually, active power factor correction will COST you more, since it sucks a bit of power to fix the signal.

http://www.dansdata.com/gz028.htm

It's still a very nice PSU, but I just thought I'd clear up the misconceptions about power factors ;)

TripperJoe

Mar 15, 2001
Nice find! I've been looking for a deal on a Seasonic.

Is the only difference between the 350w and the 300w version 1A on the 12v line?

Devil2U

Nov 11, 2004
I won this PS at a LAN Party and have been using it for about a year now. No complaints here.
Good airflow and somewhat low noise level. Worth checking out.

TheLizardMan

Aug 29, 2000
PC Power & Cooling baby over this POS any day!

BTW, isn't there a think about companies pimping their own products? If so the admin should put the smack down on MTwain.

Idleuser

Sep 22, 2004
not everyone go ta few hundred bucks to throw down on a pc power & cooling. This is a very good PSU and very solid on the +12v @ 30amp!

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: TheLizardMan
PC Power & Cooling baby over this POS any day!

BTW, isn't there a think about companies pimping their own products? If so the admin should put the smack down on MTwain.

Unless you have some type of evidence MTwain is with seasonic then I suggest you refrain from making assumptions. Everyone here is new at one time.

With regard to seasonic being a "pos" you lose all credibility. It has been reviewed by many well known hardware sites and found to be a great value. I particularly like mine for the single 120mm fan, its fairly noiseless. This coming off of an antec true 480. If you ever have any issue with a seasonic power supply during its three year warranty they will cross ship a replacement for you. That's putting your money where your mouth is, from a company that's been making power supplies for 30 years now.

Review
Review
Review
Review
Etc...

Quietpcreview: Seasonic comes out on top in both 250W to 399W and 400w and over class.
Seems like pc power & cooling just made the list at #13.

TheLizardMan

Aug 29, 2000
I just don't think that you have to be an einstein to figure out where he is coming from. I have read enough posts to have a pretty good judgment as to when a company comes here to pimp their own stuff. As far as their power supplies go, for the price of around $50 they aren't all that bad. Since I a current tornado 350w user. It was nice for being free, but if it where my own money, I'd spend a few bucks more and get something else. My past PSU was a enermax and then antec power supply. I forgot what enermax model I had, but it fried on me. And my Antec True 550 seemed like it had heat issues since the exhaust fan felt like a dragons breath. About 9 months after it was put to use the antec took a dive. So I then installed the seasonic. its been okay for the past year, I have had minor problems with the 12+ rail, but the problem seems to fade away every now and then. So it isn't a huge problem for the most part.