Seasonic S12II-430 for an HTPC

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by dkm777, May 3, 2012.

1. dkm777

dkm777 Senior member

Hi guys,

i was planning to build an HTPC using as much unused parts I have lying around as possible, but, as we say around here - wanted to do it as best as possible but it ended up as it always does. I found that while my ancient OCZ StealthXStream was packed away deep in the closet it developed a loud and annoying squeal. I'm afraid that it might die soon and take everything else along with it. I use Seasonic PSUs for some time now and couldn't be more satisfied so naturally I'm looking at one of their products: an S12II-430. It's pretty expensive for the wattage. What do you guys say? Overkill?

2. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

You certainly don't need that many watts for a HTPC, but operating with minimal stress it's going to be very quiet or near-silent. And Seasonic's customer support and reliability is always top notch. I think the S12II 430 is a good choice.

3. timmyfred

timmyfred Member

I got this Seasonic 300W PSU to use in my HTPC. It obviously depends on what your power consumption would be, but it's worked like a charm for me. My HTPC is running an AMD A6-3650 with 3 hard drives in it.

4. dkm777

dkm777 Senior member

Hmm, I looked at the site I buy my stuff from and it looks like they also have a 380W version that is only a wee bit cheaper and is the lowest rated Seasonic in stock. I think I'll be getting the more powerful one just in case.