Seasonic Platinum PSUs

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by onethreehill, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Loading...

Similar Threads - Seasonic Platinum PSUs Forum Date
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1050 or SS-1200 Power Supplies Jun 26, 2015
    Seasonic 1k Platinum b2 post error Power Supplies Feb 9, 2014
    New Seasonic Platinum 660 - noise on speakers while in sleep mode Power Supplies Feb 6, 2014
    Seasonic Platinum or Gold? Power Supplies Feb 2, 2014
    [Tom's] New Seasonic Platinum PSUs incoming (Sept.) Power Supplies Jun 6, 2011

2. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

*nerdboner*

Been waiting for these. Mostly for the epic praise they will receive in reviews :thumbsup:

Also: 7 year warranty.

#2 lehtv, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. subtraction

subtraction Member

Very nice, but I am scared to hear what kind of price they will be commanding...

4. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

I'm glad I can't justify buying one of those...My Corsair HX620 is already more than my system needs...but ooh-ooh-ooh...those are sure sweet.

5. Meghan54

Meghan54 Diamond Member

Wife's system has that same ps, the 620HX. Mine has the 850HX. Still have yet to see a new gold/plat. power supply that's priced good enough to make me switch either of those for a new one, given the high price of the gold/plats. out there and how long it'd take to recoup the extra cost in energy savings (years!)

Just not worth "upgrading" a power supply that's already 80plus cert'd. for a level or two higher in efficiency, if that's the only reason to upgrade. Failure, sure, spend the $$. Otherwise, I'd put the bucks into a better gpu or cpu or SSD.

6. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

^ The 80+ silver is already really high efficiency so a gold or platinum PSU would probably pay itself back in something like 10-15 years depending on use.

7. houe

houe Senior member

8. MarkLuvsCS

MarkLuvsCS Senior member

Thanks for the link. I don't think the price is really terribly far off their other PSUs. The 850 gold is ~210 so for another 30 you get 1000 and its platinum efficiency is more of an afterthought on the price.

9. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

That's actually not a bad price at all. Corsair HX1050 is $220 and a $20 MIR. But that's two efficiency grades below and manufactured by CWT.

btw I love the fact that you can switch between normal and hybrid fan modes :)

#9 lehtv, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  10. frostedflakes

frostedflakes Diamond Member

Yeah that's a nice feature. I actually don't really like the hybrid mode on my X-650 because the fan only turns on every 30-60 seconds or so, but when it does it ramps up quickly for a second or two before it shuts off. I'd rather have it running constantly at a very low RPM than short bursts of high RPM like it does in hybrid mode.

11. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

Yeah. Mine makes that swoosh sound sometimes when the load spikes up momentarily. Then it's back to idle watts shortly afterwards, and off goes the fan.

Edit: Hmm, it seems to be the CPU cooler instead x). The fan spins up only at the highest loads I can get and at that point its sound is completely submerged in CPU and GPU fan noise.

#11 lehtv, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  12. onethreehill

onethreehill Member

Seasonic Platinum-1000 1000W PSU Review
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/P1000/

13. Termie

Termie Diamond Member

14. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

I knew Seasonic would impress. Didn't expect anything less. Seriously, 2% voltage regulation? Corsair HX1050 does 3-4%. And add the hybrid fan control and two grades better efficiency, the Platinum 1000W is actually not that expensive at $40 more than HX1050.

15. houe

houe Senior member

Sure 2% regulation is cool, but does it really make much of a difference compared to say 5%? The computers are going to run the same...

16. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

5% is the ATX spec upper limit, I'd rather have less than that...

17. Meghan54

Meghan54 Diamond Member

I'm not expert....I leave the expert opinion to JonnyGuru. But from what I've seen over the years, tighter voltage regulation, esp. under heavy loads, is usually indicative of a power supply's overall component robustness, and design and build quality.

I do understand that the ATX spec allows the major rail, the +12V rail(s), to droop to 11.4V under full output, and that computer components are designed to work with that low a voltage being fed. And, as you suggest, most bog standard computers probably aren't going to be affected by that.

But this power supply, and those built to higher standards in voltage regulation, efficiency, ripple/noise generation, etc., aren't focused at or marketed towards the mon-n-pop email/Youtube/web surfing crowd. Instead, these power supplies are focused on the enthusiast crowd, the same crowd that will overclock their cpus, gpus, and darned near anything else they can push in their builds.

And when you're overclocking, voltage regulation does become important in relation to stability of said overclocking, all else being constant (overclockability of the cpu, mb, RAM, etc.) Too much droop from the power supply's output will cause the motherboard's voltage regulators to work harder to maintain a stable platform.

And tied into that is ripple/noise control. The power supplies that can provide 1-2% voltage regulation at full load typically can also suppress ripple/noise generation very well, too. And this is another area that can affect ultimate overclocks.....the mb/cpu's VRM's aren't having to work as hard "screening" out the garbage of overly high, but within spec, ripple and noise.

Again, this is just my opinion, but seems to be borne out by serious overclockers finding it easier to achieve stability with heavy overclocks when using "overbuilt" power supplies vs. ones that just meet the ATX specs.

I'd much rather my components be fed as clean and stable an electrical signal as possible...the components shouldn't have to work as hard as they would being given an electrical signal that's within spec but dirtier and producing lower voltage than a ps that can maintain tight voltage regulation and a clean signal.

This is why I'll pay a bit extra for a power supply that has first, tight voltage regulation; second, suppresses ripple/noise generation well; third, is modular; and fourth, is efficient. For mom-n-pop, probably won't be an issue.

18. onethreehill

onethreehill Member

Seasonic Platinum-1000 1000W Power Supply Review
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=264

19. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

20. boxleitnerb

boxleitnerb Platinum Member

Nice review! Only thing that bugs me is, that they never measure fan noise. So a comprehensive review and then just nothing in that department. That's a bit disappointing.

21. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

If they were unable to measure fan noise, it says something about how quiet the unit is :p

22. boxleitnerb

They don't measure it in general in their reviews. That's why I switched to kitguru a while back. Their reviews are top notch in that regard :)

23. gevorg

gevorg Diamond Member

Nice to see that JonnyGuru dropped scoring "Aesthetics" and instead have "Build Quality". Its a PSU, not designer swimwear. :D

24. gevorg

gevorg Diamond Member

Does kitguru measures fan noise in anechoic chamber like SilentPCReview, or use some magic wand from ratshack?

25. boxleitnerb