Seasonic Platinum or Gold?

NirHahs

Jan 1, 2014
Im planning to upgrade my PSU. I decided to take 750W as im getting my r9 290 soon. Im in big dilemma, which model perform best? Everybody knows that Platinum is the newer product, but does it worth to get? or should i just stick with the old model?

Last edited:

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
You are getting a single R9 290? If so, you don't need 750. 550 is plenty. If you are asking whether Platinum is worth the price premium, it's not.

answ3r

Jun 10, 2011
Because the difference in efficiency is pretty negligible and you likely won't see the power savings over the life of the unit. There is a decent difference in going from 80plus or bronze to gold, but from gold to platinum is pretty small in comparison. Also, like Temjin said, a 550w should be sufficient for a single 290, unless you really plan on getting a 2nd card.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Any particular store you're buying from? Link?

Agree with others, 750W is overkill for a single R9 290.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Newegg routinely has the AX760 platinum on sale for $140 or so.

I agree that 550 is enough when using a quality PSU for a 290. But a PSU change is a hassle so if I can I like to overbuild it.

Gold is worth it over bronze without question if you use the computer a fair amount. If the system will run 24/7 and dependent on your energy rates then Platinum can make sense over the long term. Most units get max efficiency around 50-60% load, but the quality ones only drop a few % of efficiecny between that and max load.

If going for a quiet/ultra quiet system it makes sense to overbuy the PSU as well to keep it's fan from spinning up during high system loads.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
i've been super happy with my x650s that I got for <$100 on sale last year.

can't really go wrong with any seasonic though.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
It really depends on the price. If you can get a Platinum PSU for only a little more than the Gold version, it is worth it. I got a Seasonic Platinum for $5 more than the Gold PSU over the holidays.

But no, I would not pay $30 more for this. It sounds like you already have a Gold PSU, in that case, it is a no-brainer. Having a Gold PSU for free (already paid-for) is always better than a Platinum for anything more than $10. To me, $10 is a good estimate of the premium that Platinum is worth.

McLovin42

Dec 28, 2013
Gold/Platinum ...............that's for efficiency only in reality. Both are going to be the same in reality.....a percentage point or 2 in power efficiency will not make one bit of difference to heat generation or an electric bill in the end.

What really matters is the BUILD QUALITY of the unit. And there are a ton of cr@ppy built gold and platinum units out there IMO.

WHat really matters on a quality PSU is how tight it can regulate voltage, and do so with as little ripple as possible, and do so reliably over the course of years in use.

Stick with quality PSU units built of Seasonic's KM3 platform, or Superflower's Leadex platform...........etc etc........Delta also makes high quality units, same with Flextronics many times......Enermax makes some decent products too..........

amped24

Jan 23, 2014
Because the difference in efficiency is pretty negligible and you likely won't see the power savings over the life of the unit. There is a decent difference in going from 80plus or bronze to gold, but from gold to platinum is pretty small in comparison. Also, like Temjin said, a 550w should be sufficient for a single 290, unless you really plan on getting a 2nd card.

Would a 760w platinum support

i7 3770
120gb ssd
1tb 7200
phanteks cpu cooler
2 r9 290x
8gb gskill ram
blue ray burner
z77 performance fatal1ty

Currently have this set up with one r9 290x but my second one will be here tuesday not sure if my psu can handle it or not.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
And has super efficiency at low loads. This series is the best(660W,760W,860W)

I second this.
My seasonic 860 platinum uses less watts than my 400 seasonic gold for a system that pulls around 60W idle