Seasonic 80+ GOLD certified PSUs

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Scoop
OK. It was a bit misleading, they are the first with THREE 80+ GOLD PSUs :D

Fixed that :)

Correction that is also a misleading statement!!!!

To be exactly correct -- Seasonic is the first company to PAY....as money.......for services rendered to the good people at 80PLUS to have the PSU`s that they PAID to have tested certified!!

**** Disclaimer*****
The good people at 80Plus would never certifie a PSU that was not worthy of the 80Plus designation!

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

To be exactly correct -- Seasonic is the first company to PAY....as money.......for services rendered to the good people at 80PLUS to have the PSU`s that they PAID to have tested certified!!

**** Disclaimer*****
The good people at 80Plus would never certifie a PSU that was not worthy of the 80Plus designation!

Are you saying that they PAID (money!) for certification?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: theAnimal

**** Disclaimer*****

Are you saying that they PAID (money!) for certification?

I am saying that they paid a fee to have their PSU`s tested!! YES!!
Did they pay money to get the 80PLUS certification? NO!!
But the good people at 80PLUS do not test PSU`s for free!!
That is one of the reasons you will hear people say including myself that 80PLUS is a good thing...but just because a PSU company chooses not to pay the fee and have their PSU tested does not mean they have a bad product!

Peace!!

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
So then which company has 3 or more PSU's which would be capable of an 80Plus Gold rating but has chosen not to pay for testing and certification?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So then which company has 3 or more PSU's which would be capable of an 80Plus Gold rating but has chosen not to pay for testing and certification?

Do your own homework.....
Peace!!

tomoyo

Oct 5, 2005
That's what I thought. :)

Yep me too. He's always contrary for absolutely zero useful reason. Either way a great accomplishment for seasonic. I was sick of seeing them with zero bronze/silver/golds until now. They were a pioneer in quiet and quality psus and I hope they can improve on that.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: tomoyo

Yep me too. He's always contrary for absolutely zero useful reason. Either way a great accomplishment for seasonic. I was sick of seeing them with zero bronze/silver/golds until now. They were a pioneer in quiet and quality psus and I hope they can improve on that.

Talk about contrary.....rofl......a great accomplishemnt.....hardly!!
Next thing you know I bet you will be telling that because a PSU is certified 80PLUS it therefore stands to reeason it must be a better PSU than those from companies that choose to not PAY a fee to have there PSU rated by an unbiased rating company.....nice try though.....hehehe

tomoyo

Oct 5, 2005

Next thing you know I bet you will be telling that because a PSU is certified 80PLUS it therefore stands to reeason it must be a better PSU than those from companies that choose to not PAY a fee to have there PSU rated by an unbiased rating compy.....nice try though.....hehehe

Love how you put words in everyone's mouth and say more worthless comments.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Next thing you know I bet you will be telling that because a PSU is certified 80PLUS it therefore stands to reeason it must be a better PSU than those from companies that choose to not PAY a fee to have there PSU rated by an unbiased rating compy.....nice try though.....hehehe

did I do that?? shame on me...talk about worthless...have you looked in the mirror...lol

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003

actually I knew you would be lazy and respond in that manner..... :)

I can't even begin to remember how many PSU reviews I've read, but have never seen a single one that was 80Plus gold worthy.

And since you're the one that brought this up, the onus is on you to prove your as yet unsubstantiated claim.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

I can't even begin to remember how many PSU reviews I've read, but have never seen a single one that was 80Plus gold worthy.

And since you're the one that brought this up, the onus is on you to prove your as yet unsubstantiated claim.

Now thats just an insane statement you just made!!
Sure there are PSU`s that are not 80Plus gold wirthy...we all know that.
But being 80Plus is not a litmus test that involved the longevity or workmanship of the PSU!!

I would rather have a PSU that in 6 months a year is still going strong than to have a PSU that gets 80Plus certilied and 5 months down the line needs to be replaced......

Do you realize how many PSU get tested and rejected yet they are sitting in somebodys case and have been running there computer flawlessly....

read my lipps-- 80PLUS is a good thing!!
But...just because a PSU is not rated 80Plus does not mean that PSU is a crappy PSU!!

Peace!!

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003

But being 80Plus is not a litmus test that involved the longevity or workmanship of the PSU!!

I would rather have a PSU that in 6 months a year is still going strong than to have a PSU that gets 80Plus certilied and 5 months down the line needs to be replaced......

Do you realize how many PSU get tested and rejected yet they are sitting in somebodys case and have been running there computer flawlessly....

But...just because a PSU is not rated 80Plus does not mean that PSU is a crappy PSU!!

Peace!!

If a PSU is not 80Plus Gold worthy then it could also never be 80Plus Gold certified.

You implied that you know of a company which has at least 3 PSU's that could be Gold certified but has chosen not to do this.

I would be very unhappy if my PSU only lasted a year. I realize that 80Plus certification has nothing to do with quality, which is why I also read reviews.

I would think not too many PSU's will fail the test, because the manufacturer is paying for it, so they will only bring in a PSU if they are fairly sure it can pass.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Peace!!

If a PSU is not 80Plus Gold worthy then it could also never be 80Plus Gold certified.

You implied that you know of a company which has at least 3 PSU's that could be Gold certified but has chosen not to do this. -- No I did not imply that I knew of a company that had 3 PSU1s that could be gold certified but has not chosen to do so! I said there are company that have not submitted any PSU`s to the 80PLUS people that see no reason to do so.
I would be very unhappy if my PSU only lasted a year. I realize that 80Plus certification has nothing to do with quality, which is why I also read reviews.

I would think not too many PSU's will fail the test, because the manufacturer is paying for it, so they will only bring in a PSU if they are fairly sure it can pass. -- Exactly so we surmise that there are companies that do not submit PSU`s because they know the 80Plus people will no certify their PSU@@!!

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
You implied that you know of a company which has at least 3 PSU's that could be Gold certified but has chosen not to do this. -- No I did not imply that I knew of a company that had 3 PSU1s that could be gold certified but has not chosen to do so! I said there are company that have not submitted any PSU`s to the 80PLUS people that see no reason to do so.

and

Seems pretty much like implying to me.

I would think not too many PSU's will fail the test, because the manufacturer is paying for it, so they will only bring in a PSU if they are fairly sure it can pass. -- Exactly so we surmise that there are companies that do not submit PSU`s because they know the 80Plus people will no certify their PSU@@!!

Do you realize how many PSU get tested and rejected

So the reason they are not certified is not because they don't want to pay, but simply that they are not efficient enough.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

and

Seems pretty much like implying to me.

Do you realize how many PSU get tested and rejected

So the reason they are not certified is not because they don't want to pay, but simply that they are not efficient enough.

So what is it that we disagree on exactly???
Since when is 80Plus the litmus test by which all others a judged?
Now if every PSU brand was tested by the 80Plus people then there might be grounds to believe that.....

But you take a look at testing sites such a JohnnyGURU.com and the good people at Hardforum`s and even this site....that actually care about build quality, the parts used and even noise......
All 80PLUS is concerned with is the 80Plus certification!! At present you will never see 80Plus state this PSU in Gold certified but it is way to loud or this PSU is gold certified yet the CAP`s that they use are crappy....

Peace!!

tomoyo

Oct 5, 2005

did I do that?? shame on me...talk about worthless...have you looked in the mirror...lol

My mirror does not have a picture of you, which would make it worthless.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Now if every PSU brand was tested by the 80Plus people then there might be grounds to believe that.....

But you take a look at testing sites such a JohnnyGURU.com and the good people at Hardforum`s and even this site....that actually care about build quality, the parts used and even noise......
All 80PLUS is concerned with is the 80Plus certification!! At present you will never see 80Plus state this PSU in Gold certified but it is way to loud or this PSU is gold certified yet the CAP`s that they use are crappy....

Peace!!

Cliff notes:

Thread is about Seasonic being the first company with 3 Gold certified PSU's. Note: even if they were not certified they are still 87-90% efficient from 20-100% load, as well as being excellent quality.

You said NO. (How can a fact be untrue?)

So if we ignore the certification, I'm still waiting for the name of the company who instead of Seasonic first had 3 (or more) PSU's which are efficient enough to be Gold certified.

And for bonus points, please name a company who sells current good quality PSU's and does not have them 80Plus certified.

shempf

Dec 7, 2008
If anyone if knowledgeable about the audio side of things, this is like a THX badge on a piece of equip. Little bearing and usually means a higher cost.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Peace!!

Cliff notes:

Thread is about Seasonic being the first company with 3 Gold certified PSU's. Note: even if they were not certified they are still 87-90% efficient from 20-100% load, as well as being excellent quality.

You said NO. (How can a fact be untrue?)

So if we ignore the certification, I'm still waiting for the name of the company who instead of Seasonic first had 3 (or more) PSU's which are efficient enough to be Gold certified.

And for bonus points, please name a company who sells current good quality PSU's and does not have them 80Plus certified.
-- Zippy, NZXT,then of course most companies do not have all their PSU 80Plus certified.......Peace!!

tomoyo

Oct 5, 2005
Originally posted by: shempf
If anyone if knowledgeable about the audio side of things, this is like a THX badge on a piece of equip. Little bearing and usually means a higher cost.

Except there are some very cheap 80plus psus. Therefore, the cost difference is tiny at best. And it IS a guarantee of 80% efficiency. So I don't see where anyone loses. Obviously some 80plus psus can still be kinda crappy, but that's why we have reviews.