Searching For Someone In A Foreign Language

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm trying to track someone down in Japan. He's an Anglo, and not globally newsworthy. Typing in English gives fairly generic results, and I can't begin to guess what it would take to type in Japanese, much less grammar and general sentence structure. Any tips on performing a web search?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'm trying to track someone down in Japan. He's an Anglo, and not globally newsworthy. Typing in English gives fairly generic results, and I can't begin to guess what it would take to type in Japanese, much less grammar and general sentence structure. Any tips on performing a web search?
Is there a japanese equiv to white pages? Prolly not a lot of john smith's to pick through.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have old contact info, but phone's been shut down, and business closed. I'm doing this on behalf of other people. He was an older guy, and they think he might have died. I find the task interesting. I was hoping to find an obituary or something, but I don't know if that's even a thing in Japan. I don't know how to search their local news or anything. I'm getting the feeling I'm missing a lot of potential data by typing in English.

Nov 20, 2009
First, I would VPN to a Japanese annex and then use Google.jp, letting the browser do your translating for you. I would imagine you could also engage the local police for missing person, etc.

The JP VPN annex is so the browser doesn't think you are non-Japanese and you would be surprised at how the results of searches change.

Reactions: lxskllr