Question Searching for a 10GbE NIC for Lenovo EMC PX6-400

SilentProphet

Sep 12, 2021
Hey everyone! I finally decided to sign up to seek some support and advice.

The Background:
I've got a 6 bay NAS: Lenovo EMC PX6-400.

I'm using mine as a RAID 5 backup for my main server's RAID 10 array, incrementally backing up weekly or monthly as files get added.
Even with LACP team setup between that and the NAS, I'm not happy with the 118MB/s speeds of the onboard Gigabit NIC (real world more like 70-80MB/s).

And yes I understand now that LACP teams won't improve file transfer speeds - so please don't feed me the old "highway lanes" analogy. I get it, hence this post.

The Reason for this endeavor:
If I ever have to dump this data back onto my main Array, it's going to be hot and slow transfer of 9TB at that speed.
As such I was hoping to utilize the spare PCIe x4 slot in my PX6-400 for a 10 Gigabit NIC. The trouble becomes built in driver support for a new NIC chipset.

I saw in this blog, a user was able to install ArchLinux on his but I would prefer to avoid this for simplicity sake.

The Question:
Does anyone know of a 10 GbE NIC that I can add to this NAS that should work natively? I read that the onboard chipsets are Realtek RTL8111e if that helps.

I would prefer not to buy a newer expensive NAS just for 10GbE support and OEM support. (ie Synology, Qnap, etc).
I did get his NAS for free, so if it doesn't seem possible, then I'm open to suggestions for an alternative NAS with 10 gig support - preferably low cost and even used condition would be fine.

I first tried my google-fu and found a thread here posted not too long ago regarding some of these that went on sale.
They allude to 10GbE potential but don't discuss it.

Thanks in advanced for any replies!
=P

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've had good luck with the Chelsio 10Gbe cards that I found used on ebay. I have 4 of them in my servers and they all worked with TrueNas, Linux and Windows.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If that Atom D525 CPU can't handle dual gigabit, how do you expect it can handle 10Gbps? Not only that, it's quite possible that you have to compile the driver for the 10Gbps adapter yourself.

Get a low cost Asustor 10Gbe NAS instead.

• Love
Reactions: VirtualLarry

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Cheapest model with 10GBe,
Asustor Lockerstor 8 8-Bay NAS Server Enclosure
B&H # AS6508T MFR # AS6508T

2 Reviews

Key Features
  • 8 x 2.5/3.5" SATA III Bays
  • 2.1 GHz Intel ATOM C3538 Quad-Core CPU
  • 8GB of DDR4 RAM
  • 2 x 10GbE Ports | 2 x 2.5GbE Ports
Show More
$1,04900
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be happy to just get the existing two NICs bonded or LAG or whatever, as that should help with sending multiple larger files. Not to hijack your thread, but how did you get the LAG to work? I'm thinking my issue is the only semi smart switch I bought TP-Link TL SG116E, claims to support LAG, setup looks OK, plugging in the second NIC from any device so far and it flakes out and can't see device.

BTW you got real lucky on that 6bay, when I bought my PX4 the only PX6 were older -300 models with lesser cpu etc.