Sealed tub of guacamole got left in my car overnight

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
It's actually guacamole with some salsa mixed in, to make it extra delicious.

It got left in my trunk over 24 hours, is it safe to eat?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Is the lid bowed up as if something inside is giving off gas? If so, throw it away. If in doubt, throw it away. It's just guac.

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
is it home made or store bought? If its store bought, was it on a shelf or in the refrigerated section?

do they even sell guacamole in stores?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I wouldn't eat it if it was brand new :)

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Store bought (Trader Joe's FTW)

It was in the open cooled section, near the juices and whatnot

I'm in S California, so temps aren't very cold.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
The high today was 67, but it was in a trunk in a car in a garage. It's not like it was baking, but the average temp inside the trunk was probably greater than 60.

Also, the "use by" date is a month from now, March 20. It's a bit more resilient than I'd have expected

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd eat it. I wouldn't keep around for a long time. Finish it in a day or 2.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
If it got left in my trunk it would be frozen, but from where you are I wouldn't touch it :)

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Eeezee
The high today was 67, but it was in a trunk in a car in a garage. It's not like it was baking, but the average temp inside the trunk was probably greater than 60.

Also, the "use by" date is a month from now, March 20. It's a bit more resilient than I'd have expected

No, I would not eat it.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
lol

It's fine.

My girlfriend and I left some chicken in my car for a full 24 hours. :( We were both a bit sketchy about it, but it passed the smell test and was fine.

Just for reference, the low that night was 22º, so it probably froze a bit. The high that day was about 60º, and my car was in partial sun. I don't know how warm it got in my car that day, but I would estimate at least 80º. The chicken was in a corner of the car that didn't get any sun, and it was in a low part of the car. If it had seen any full sunlight, it would have certainly gone bad. I was kinda surprised that it was still good myself, but thinking about it.. if you graphed the temperature curve through the day, it probably averaged out to about fridge temp. :p

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
If the avocado hasn't even browned yet.. it's fine.. it'll brown well before it goes bad. plus the supermarket stuff is usually loaded with preservatives, since real guacamole only lasts a few hours before it browns.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I decided to bite the bullet and try some. It tastes just as delicious, but whatever doesn't get finished I'll just throw out.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: astroidea
If the avocado hasn't even browned yet.. it's fine.. it'll brown well before it goes bad. plus the supermarket stuff is usually loaded with preservatives, since real guacamole only lasts a few hours before it browns.

This was my thought, given the sealed container is good for a month on a lightly cooled shelf a single night in the car shouldn't be too bad.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli
lol

It's fine.

My girlfriend and I left some chicken in my car for a full 24 hours. :( We were both a bit sketchy about it, but it passed the smell test and was fine.

Just for reference, the low that night was 22º, so it probably froze a bit. The high that day was about 60º, and my car was in partial sun. I don't know how warm it got in my car that day, but I would estimate at least 80º. The chicken was in a corner of the car that didn't get any sun, and it was in a low part of the car. If it had seen any full sunlight, it would have certainly gone bad. I was kinda surprised that it was still good myself, but thinking about it.. if you graphed the temperature curve through the day, it probably averaged out to about fridge temp. :p

People freak out about food safety. Yeah standards exist, because if you're in food service, you'll eventually serve enough people that someone will get sick. Therefore, stringent standards.

Individually, though, I take my chances with food all the time. I'll eat things left overnight if they smell and look ok. I might cook the shit out of it if its questionable. I still marinate my food on the counter, it works better that way.

LilPima

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2008
Good guacamole should be made with a little bit of cream. If it was store made/bougth, I would just check the ingredients quickly to make sure it has no dairy products in it. If not, cleared.