Seagate Hardrives

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
Ive seen a few cheap Seagate one , two and three GB Hardrives....
Nas Hdd!
Are these of any lesser quality to previous Seagate models.They seem to be cheap and cheerful looking but do they have the life?
I need to push my Pc hard drive space to a maximum , my games are taking over.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
If they are the straight up 3TB Barracudas, I would stay away from them, and probably any 3TB Seagate variant.

The 4TB HDDs seem to be faring better (according to Backblaze's latest,) and I've seen those and the 5TB HDDs fairly cheap lately. You didn't mention a budget or how much total space you need.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Ive seen a few cheap Seagate one , two and three GB Hardrives....
Nas Hdd!
Are these of any lesser quality to previous Seagate models.They seem to be cheap and cheerful looking but do they have the life?
I need to push my Pc hard drive space to a maximum , my games are taking over.

hmmm....

what year is it?

get toshibas.

Mar 10, 2006
I've had a lot of good experiences over the years with Western Digital HDDs. Seagate ones have generally been OK, but I've had far more Seagate drives fail than Western Digital ones.

Pandasaurus

Aug 19, 2012
I've pretty much only ever had two hard drives, they've been in a RAID0 array (with no real backups, I'm living dangerously here) for over 10 years. Yeah, they're Seagate. I'm expecting them to fail spectacularly some day soon since Seagate apparently has a super-high failure rate (never mind the quantities involved in the comparison), but I've been disappointed so far.

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
Cheers i thought the advert and individual cost was appreciative till i saw the colours on the label and thought "cheap!"
I would ideally like to buy a 3 or 4 gb seeing how my 2tb split drive has filled wwith games already and reconstitute my whole machine again.It,s such fun teching your own system!

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
I've never had issues with Seagate drives. I've also never had issues with Western Digital.

The oldest hard drive I currently own is a 250GB Seagate external drive, it's just about 8 years old and still works fine.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I recently bought two 3TB Seagates on sale for backup drives. They are already showing tons of errors, though I've been told I don't have to worry too much about those, but still other drives never show that many errors. I only use them for backups so I figure odds of ALL my backup drives failing AND my live data is pretty slim so they're fine for that.

I would not trust Seagates in a live data situation though, even raid unless it's raid 6 or some other form where more than one can fail at once.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I recently bought two 3TB Seagates on sale for backup drives. They are already showing tons of errors, though I've been told I don't have to worry too much about those, but still other drives never show that many errors. I only use them for backups so I figure odds of ALL my backup drives failing AND my live data is pretty slim so they're fine for that.

I would not trust Seagates in a live data situation though, even raid unless it's raid 6 or some other form where more than one can fail at once.

Seagates show more Raw Read Error Rates and Seek Error Rates of the way those are values are calculated.... way over my head:

http://sgros.blogspot.com/2013/01/seagate-disk-smart-values.html
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Seagate_SER_RRER_HEC.html

They are fine.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I used to exclusively by Seagate more than 10 yrs ago but have not bought one recently. Once they moved to 3yr warranties I switched to Western Digital Black drives. And for SSDs I have two Intels.