Seagate FireCuda 510 (BarraCuda in smaller capacities) 510 NVMe SSD Review (Bad pricing drags it down)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Apparently this drive was announced / previewed back in January 2019, however I must have missed it altogether. Seagate decided to name the drive the FireCuda in 1TB and 2TB capacities, while the 256 GB and 512 GB capacity drives were given the BarraCuda name. I noticed it today while looking at SSDs on Newegg, so after seeing its (high) price, I looked to see if there were any reviews (and quickly found these two):

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/storage/131702-seagate-firecuda-510-ssd-1tb/
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seagate-barracuda-510-ssd,6150.html

It appears this is pretty much the same drive as the Corsair MP510 and MyDigitalSSD BPX PRO, which also use the Phison E12 controller along with Toshiba BICS 3D NAND. All three of those drives also come with 5 year warranties.

Now comes the biggest problem with these new Seagate SSDs; The Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB drive is priced at $230. This in in stark contrast of the Corsair MP510 ($130) and the BPX PRO ($110) being significantly less expensive, while offering almost the exact same performance.

Surprisingly, while being slower than both the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB ($228) and WD Black SN750 1TB ($205), the Seagate is also priced higher than both of those drives. :oops:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I dont buy anything seagate.
Unethical warranty practices, + having too many failed hard drives from them, made me completely lose faith in anything they make.

For Nvme's im a samsung addict. I try to go PRO's when my budget allows even, although the intel 660p 2TB's are deliciously tempting at under 200 dollars for a 2TB NVMe.
For SATA SSD's Crucial / Micron has always been great with me, so if im on a budget i will go those, unless i can get a Sammy PRO for a bit more.
For magnetic spinners, HGST without batting an eye. Its HGST or i dont buy for me for magnetic spinners.

You would have to litterally force me to go seagate, as they all deserve to go out into the sea quite literally.

Reactions: UsandThem

southleft

May 11, 2018
Totally agree. We had a Seagate Central drive, basically a standard 2GB 3.5-inch model in an external case which connects via ethernet cable to your wi-fi router, thus making it a home network drive also accessible when away from home using a provided app. It failed after 14 months and Seagate flatly refused to replace it or to supply the control circuit chip/board inside the case.

We also had a Seagate drive marketed as a DVR replacement drive. This one lasted about 20 months then died. Again, Seagate refused to replace or repair, claiming the warranty runs from the date of manufacture not the date of sale. I call that s-l-e-a-z-y.

The reliable ones have been a 2.5-inch Seagate Backup Plus portable drive which is rarely used but still working, and a 1TB SSHD (the 2.5-inch model with 8GB SSD chip to boost read speed on frequently accessed data). Amazingly, the SSHD has been running perfectly in an ASUS laptop for about 8 years. The main user of the laptop does pretty much the same tasks every day, so the SSHD is fast and perfectly suited to him. If you didn't know better you'd swear it was a regular SSD as his boot drive. It's interesting that of all the hard drives Seagate markets, this is the only consumer model with a 5-year warranty.