Question Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB ... 1 or 2 HDD inside?

Nov 20, 2009
Also, I am going to go ahead and guess that because they do not support USB3.1 then the internal drives are probably 5400 RPM disks. Costco has this product for a good price been its been a long time since I was willing to trust that company again. I was a victim long ago on the holiday special on 1TB drives and when I ordered four of them two were DOA, one died a week later and the last a month later--all being RMA's and NewEgg hiding the product page as if they hadn't been selling the known defecative product.

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
No 7200 RPM hard drive exceeds the bandwidth of a USB 3.0 connection. Nowadays RPM doesn't say much about bandwidth, but higher RPM still reduces access times significantly. For transferring large files RPM isn't a good performance indicator.
Unless you go above 8TB, virtually all large external USB hard drives contain 5400RPM SMR drives, with 1TB drives being the exception, those normally use CMR.
Yes, Seagate had some really unreliable drive models. However, I only hear positive about their newer drives, and those are quite a few years on the market by now.
That Costco offer looks like a really good deal to me. You can expect a Seagate BarraCuda Compute 8TB to be in it.

Nov 20, 2009
I was just trying to figure out what drives were in the case. I wouldn't keep it in the case, but make them internal drives since the equivalent internal drives are more expensive. WDC has 10TB Elements for $140 on Amazon but no idea what drives those are but2 the internal versions are all $75-100 more.