Seagate 3TB 7200RPM SATA HDD $120 AC FS

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by Zap, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Zap

Zap Elite Member

#1 Zap, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. SunRey

SunRey Platinum Member

Thank You!

3. Balzac04

Balzac04 Member

This is tempting but I've had some bad experiences with Seagate in the past

4. SimMike2

SimMike2 Platinum Member

$139 minus $20 is $119, which is what I paid last week. So far the drive is performing very well in my HTCP computer with Windows 7 Media Center and a HD Prime cable card device.

#4 SimMike2, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  5. PBat51

PBat51 Member

Seagate has always been good with their warranties.

6. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Math is hard. :oops: OP fixed. Thx.

7. lambchops511

lambchops511 Senior member

How does the reliability of this compare to say WD Black?

8. stargazr

stargazr Platinum Member

Any HDD can fail. I had a 1.5 WD Black fail after two years of use and I considered them very good drives (which they are). My 2TB WD Black is ok.

I also have a Seagate GoFlex 2 TB for three years now I was reluctant to buy because of some bad reviews of other models at the time, but it was such a good bf deal I couldn't resist. Still works fine, I use it for backups.

Of course my experience hardly constitutes a scientific experiment, just sayin'. You never know.

Always back up your data!

9. Zap

Zap Elite Member

This.

Any HDD can fail. Many people consider WD Black to be more reliable than any Seagate. That doesn't mean your data is safe on one, or unsafe on the other.

10. samboy

samboy Member

I used to buy the 2TB Samsung drives........ this has become my drive of choice (I have 4 of them now).

No failures yet; one is used for TV capturing (so it is being used most evenings) and the others are used for backup purposes (ok, one is in reserve and I rotate the other two).

I purchased these on BF at $90 each and been happy with them so far.........
    The fact that they are still running is a good sign (i.e. not total lemons); but the jury is out on how reliable/unreliable they will be in the long term.

11. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

How is Newegg doing at packaging hard drives for shipping these days? I haven't bought a hard drive from them in over a year and a half now because of all the dead drives I was having to return due to their poor packaging (i.e. sticking a hard drive in a static bag, wrapping it around once with a short strip of bubble wrap and dropping it loose in a box is not conducive to the customer being delivered a working drive). I eventually gave up and stopped buying drives from them altogether.

I'd like to buy a couple of these, but I really don't want to deal with DOA drives if they haven't improved the packaging.

EDIT: What the heck, I guess we'll see...in for one.

#11 Steltek, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  12. munchydoan

munchydoan Member

Newegg handling blows. I just ordered two of these drives. Static bag, bubble wrap, white box, then big box. One of the bags was punctured and the drive was scratched. It of course was DOA. They are getting mishandled before they are even shipped.