Seagate 120GB Hard drive for $39.99AR @Fry's & Outpost

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
This is available at Fry's today at least (possiblly until friday), and on Outpost.com -

Link

Here's a review showing that it beats the Maxtor's in read speed performance, but lags in write speed. Here's a more in depth review of a slightly different model (which has NCQ) which also shows the great transfer rate performance and quietness.

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
I already have one which I got from BB a few months ago, and let me tell you it's completely silent (I can never hear it). Also it has pretty good performance, about 48 MB/s average read speed reported by HDTach (v3) and 14.3 ms (effective) access time, which is almost as good as my SATA 160GB Hitachi. Also only 2% CPU load (lower than Hitachi).

seanws

Sep 20, 2004
too many deals on hdd's lately. im going to need a 2nd job just to make ends meet.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
That 300GB drive looks hot! 120GB is sooo last year. :laugh:

Dunno about rebates though, my GF didn't get one for a Seagate drive from Fry's last year and I have yet to get one for an early September Seagate drive purchase from Fry's. On hers she just let it slide. Mine was for a larger amount ($60) and end of October they sent me a postcard saying rebate rejected because of invalid serial number. BS! I can go to the Seagate web site and look up the warranty on my drive based on serial number. I called the rebate company and they asked me to read off my serial number and "checked" it and said it was valid. Few days ago I called again and they said my rebate "was being processed." Four months so far. Oh yeah, the rebate claim number shows up as invalid on their web site.

300GB :thumbsup:
rebate :thumbsdown:

AAaauuuggghh, can't decide...

hukim0531

Dec 21, 2004
I already have a WD 120GB drive and I just ordered a bunch of parts for new system build. The MSI motherboard has SATA and IDE RAID and I was wondering if a RAID between WD 120GB and Seagate 120GB is adviceable or even possible. I have feeling everyone will tell me to use same brand same size...

seanws

Sep 20, 2004
i just bought the maxtor 120 at BB with the $50 rebate. now the question is, do i order the seagate 120 and the 300, or just the 300? im tempted to buy both just so i have a spare.

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
actually, I was think of returning the Maxtor 7200 Ultra ATA/133 250GB I bought from BB a couple of weeks ago and get this one instead, because I already have this exact seagate drive and have been satisified with its perofrmance and quietness. Before doing so, I decided to compare theor performance, but I couldn't find comparative reviews of the eaxt models, and the one I did find were not conclusive, but they did mention that the seagate has slow write speed. So I tried measuring the time it takes to copy a directoy with 800MB of files in each drive (to itself) and the time was almost twice as fast for the maxtor (35 sec vs 65 sec). Also HDTach reports the burst speed of the Maxtor is much higher, mostly due to its UATA/133 interface, but that alone cannot account for the whole difference in my test. The Maxtor is much louder (its audible especially when doing seek for random access, where the seagate is always silent), but I'm going to keep the Maxtor due to the large performance advantage.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
ahh now just to wait for it to come in. never owned a seagate drive before so this will be my test run

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
hmm the link for the rebate isnt there any more........i havent gotten mine yet so i never printed it out or anything. is there any way i can get the rebate again cus i dont want to be SOL

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Beweare of seagate rebates. I sent one in over a year ago for $80 off a $100 120G HDD. It never came.

Maybe I jsut got unlucky. Maybe my letter got lost. But I never got my rebate.