Seafood Industry Collapse Emminent?

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
IT seems that this Seafood Collapse is emminent, due to over fishing.

whatI want to know is why are we not creating fish farms to harvest seafoods from?
We grow cows/pigs/chickens for food purposes in farm settings...

If this isnt feasible for the full growth term, why dont we at least start a saltwater hatchery and then stock the ocean like we do for lakes and rivers.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Uh, we are creating fish farms....they're a huge industry and growing AFAIK.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There are things like fish farms, the problem is greed and short sightedness, not a lack of alternatives.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
There are fish farms but only in places that give a damn. On a global scale most governments don't have enough money for their own people, yet alone create fish farms.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
There was a short article (1 page) in Popular Science a few months ago about giant fish farms (basically a diamond shaped box enclosed by nets) that could raise hundreds of thousands of fish with minimal human intervention. They'd float freely on the ocean.

I wouldn't worry about it.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
First of all, overfishing has been a problem since the advent of large commercial fleets. It's already been demonstrated, and not just with those oysters. As fisheries deplete, fleets switch to different species, and it shows in supermarket selections. Fish that were considered trash in the 70s are now commercial. Where's the cod?
http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/threats.htm
Besides biological and environmental impacts associated with overfishing, there are economic costs as well. As highly sought-after species like red snapper are depleted, fishermen must reduce catches and switch to other, less desirable species.

Overfishing is logically inevitable without a lot of regulation-- it's common sense. If there are plenty of fish in the sea for you to catch, what is there to stop more fishermen from fishing, and overexploiting? If overfishing is not a problem as so many of you who live 1000 miles from the ocean believe, why don't you invest in a boat and fish-- it should be easy money right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overfishing

http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/peril_overfishing.html

And regarding fish farming...

http://www.salmonfarmers.org/files/02_25_06.htm

He told a questioner at the science meeting that "in principle, fish farming is a good thing," pointing to aquaculture leader China, which focuses on fresh-water fish that are fed vegetable material.

Canada and Europe, by contrast, concentrate on fish like salmon, which are raised on fish meal.

"It's the culture of cannibals. The more salmon you grow, the more fish that have to be caught and ground up to feed the salmon."

Bah! The scientific community, the government, and much of the fishing industry recognizes overfishing as a problem, but as usual ATOT knows best.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
There was a short article (1 page) in Popular Science a few months ago about giant fish farms (basically a diamond shaped box enclosed by nets) that could raise hundreds of thousands of fish with minimal human intervention. They'd float freely on the ocean.

You think that because you put the fish in a pen, it's somehow different from having them swimming around free? Are cows grown in factory farms free meat?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe

You think that because you put the fish in a pen, it's somehow different from having them swimming around free? Are cows grown in factory farms free meat?

I'm not sure what you're asking... :confused:

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004

I'm asking why you think putting the fish in cages floating in the sea is different from catching free fish.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I'm asking why you think putting the fish in cages floating in the sea is different from catching free fish.

Well for one, you can control how many fish you remove from the floating farm so you always keep enough in there to allow the population to replenish itself.

And the nets would keep predators out.

If you have control over a large population of fish, you can control output to meet demand. Not necessarily in the short term, because it takes fish time to reproduce and grow, but in the long-term I think the output would be virtually limitless.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

Well for one, you can control how many fish you remove from the floating farm so you always keep enough in there to allow the population to replenish itself.

And the nets would keep predators out.

Also it leaves the natural fish populations alone, since they are essentially independent. And you're feeding farmed fish yourself.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I grew up fishing from the shore on the west coast of Florida, and one childhood memory always sticks with me whenever this topic comes up. Florida used to be very lax when it came to commercial fishing. For a period of several years, I remember the commercial net boats would set their nets, literally, directly on shore. The net would extend maybe 300 feet into the Gulf, and then about 100 yards down the beach. As a kid, it didn't really bother me that much at first, but I did see that I wasn't catching quite as many fish as I had in the past. Fast forward a couple years, Florida banned the practice, fast forward a few more years, and suddenly the fish had come back and I remember the entire environment changing.

Not that this weighs in on the global discussion, but I've seen the effects of commercial overfishing, and they were generally not pretty.