Sea of Thieves

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
They've been talking about this game for like 2 years and they just now are getting to a playable Alpha? lol

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
windows 10 only; fail.

I cannot think of any reasons to not run Windows 10, unless you have old hardware. It runs games quite a bit faster (proven with benchmarks), and its nice to use. The ONLY issue I have with it is the annoying windows update setup that will pull you out of a full screen game. Which does REALLY annoy me.

However, with that said. I CANNOT STAND the Xbox windows store. It is horrible. And the limitations placed one games that use it is bad for gamers. This game should be on Steam or Origin where the developer is mostly free to do what they want.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Welcome to how gaming is going to be.
It has far more to do with it being a MS game than "this game is the future". Hence Windows Store exclusive (not on Steam / GOG), no PS4 version and "W10 + DX12 as a minimum technical requirement" for these graphics are all Microsoft-typical completely fake restrictions.

Reactions: you2

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
windows 10 is a great gaming OS... but I agree the store is garbage. it's not GFWL bad, but still bad

as a side note... I've never even heard of this title

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
It has far more to do with it being a MS game than "this game is the future". Hence Windows Store exclusive (not on Steam / GOG), no PS4 version and "W10 + DX12 as a minimum technical requirement" for these graphics are all Microsoft-typical completely fake restrictions.
A lot of newer games are starting to be win 10 only for many reasons so it's nothing new and it's only going to be more common.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
A lot of newer games are starting to be win 10 only for many reasons so it's nothing new and it's only going to be more common.

Being Windows 10 only isn't the issue, its that its Windows 10 Store only that is the issue.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I've only noticed this with window store games. So yea it is new - well not new since MS always pulls this crap.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I cannot think of any reasons to not run Windows 10, unless you have old hardware. It runs games quite a bit faster (proven with benchmarks), and its nice to use. The ONLY issue I have with it is the annoying windows update setup that will pull you out of a full screen game. Which does REALLY annoy me.

However, with that said. I CANNOT STAND the Xbox windows store. It is horrible. And the limitations placed one games that use it is bad for gamers. This game should be on Steam or Origin where the developer is mostly free to do what they want.

My only Win10 gripe is the "We've installed updates which you can't stop us doing. We'll now restart your PC which you can't stop us doing either" crap.

Otherwise it is the superior gaming platform, much like Win 8.1 before it was better than 8 which was better than 7 and so and so forth.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Personally I prefer the layout and gui of windows 7. This is subjective but imho windows 10 is both ughly and disfunctional on a non-touch screen device. That and the built in analytics that you are never 100% sure you've totally disabled. You don't need to worry about install spyware since it comes pre-installed.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Personally I prefer the layout and gui of windows 7. This is subjective but imho windows 10 is both ughly and disfunctional on a non-touch screen device. That and the built in analytics that you are never 100% sure you've totally disabled. You don't need to worry about install spyware since it comes pre-installed.
Use something like classic shell to make it look nice and take about 2-3 minutes to disable them once you install it.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

I am currently using Windows 10 on several work machines. I have never felt the need to use a touch screen, ever. I find navigating and using it to be far superior to Windows 7. The multi-desktops alone is hugely useful (Which I also use on my Macs).

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well as I said this is subjective and I disagree. Btw it is funny that you quote a feature (multi-desktop) that unix has had for over 25 years.

I am currently using Windows 10 on several work machines. I have never felt the need to use a touch screen, ever. I find navigating and using it to be far superior to Windows 7. The multi-desktops alone is hugely useful (Which I also use on my Macs).

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
The multi-desktops alone is hugely useful (Which I also use on my Macs).
Without wishing to drag the thread further off-topic into W7 vs W10, all Windows OS's since XP have supported Virtual Desktops (going all the way back to XP PowerToys or Workspace Switcher). It's amusing how many people still fall for the old MS marketing trick of better marketing a long pre-existing feature as "brand new".

As for the game itself, a lot of people aren't going to buy if it's Windows Store only even with W10. It sure didn't take long for Quantum Break to come to Steam due to both very poor sales on MS Store plus the usual problems that come with trying to force a high performance game into being a "UWP app". Quantum Break was also "Windows 10 only" - until it came to Steam then it magically not only worked perfectly fine on W7, it amusingly had fewer performance / 3rd party overlay issues than the UWP version...

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I've had fun watching BurkeBlack play the betas. Doubt I'd bother with the game though because of the windows store/w10 only requirement. Only upside there is if you buy it on windows store you can link it with xbox and play it there too.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I played it during the December test on my Xbox. It looks great and has a lot of potential, but AFAICT (lots of missing things from the game at that time) it is not the game for me. It seems like a very PvP/Social game. I am more into PvE. also don't have any regular people I play games with. If you are into PvP it seems like it could be a LOT of fun. If you have a regular group of friends to play with I would give it a shot.

It is a good deal if you have an Xbox, you can just get gamepass for $10 for a month and try it out once it is released.

Removed the alpha tag from the title...

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
What's with the musical instrument always in hand till you grab a cannon?

I think it was free to play last weekend but I can't remember why I didn't try it..